Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

looking forward to a very covid christmas this year

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

the psych vs. clin. psych distinction seems like some real crab bucket mentality.

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

Bucky Fullminster posted:

Speaking of urban planning and transport, on a recent ride I came across the big red circle, which is full of trucks coming and going from the big distribution centres - (DHL, FedEx, Woolworths, Linfox, etc). If you moved these facilities to the little red circle at the end of the train line in Leppington, and connect to the international port by joining up with the green line, you could take a significant percentage of trucks off the road and onto rail.

From there it could tap into the e-cycle network previously outlined, and you can send pretty much anything pretty much anywhere with virtually no emissions or noise or traffic accidents. And the stuff that does need cars and trucks will have way more space on the roads to do it.

And if we're feeling particularly constructive we could build a train tunnel along the white line, from Parramatta to Epping, to save the entire eastern rail line from having to go all the way through Strathfield and the city and across the harbour.

ARTC doesn't lease that segment of rail, and is already used by Railcorp for servicing commuter trains. You would need to redevelop the line to add a third track if you are going to accommodate freight along it. Besides, there is already a new intermodal facility a little further south in Glenlee (and a newer one in Moorebank).

Also I guess I should tell you what they are actually doing, instead of just telling you why your idea is dumb... They are already planning a new corridor and intermodal facility for Badgerys Creek airport.
https://www.transport.nsw.gov.au/corridors/wsfl

Tokamak fucked around with this message at 14:25 on May 10, 2023

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

I don't care who's name is on it, there are too many trucks on the road and there are underused rail lines there. Do you really need to add a third for freight? Is there a difference or is that just to accomodate traffic volume?

Commuter trains are relatively light, need to regularly stop and start, and also have to follow a timetable. A freight train is heavy, and has trouble stopping and starting. So you tend to get freight trains idling near the choke point waiting for a clear route (I live near one). And given the length, it would not be feasible to run freight through it during peak hours. It's okay if you are running some coal along it every now and again, less so if you want to set up a big intermodal facility. Seriously though, look at the Moorebank Intermodal Terminal. It's essentially what you are thinking about to meet today's need. It connects to the existing dedicated freight line. The western sydney freight line is their bigger ambition for the future.

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

Also there are exactly two stops on the little line to Leppington, can't imagine it would cause that much disruption

it is the terminus of one of the busier train lines. you seem interested in this subject, so take the next step and do a little reading into the planning decisions for freight and urban development. there is a lot of interesting stuff out there (and largely public). it might give you some more insight into how decisions were made beyond how it looks on a map.

on one hand seeing an existing line makes you think you can quickly bootstrap a new industrial area, but building all of the additional infrastructure and factories will take longer than the time you saved from using an existing line. you are also suggesting relocating an existing industrial area near a large population centre to farmland. how will people work and live there? a project like this would take a long time to plan and develop... kind of like what they are already doing with the new airport. you seem to be trying to want things both ways (a quick fix, and a comprehensive solution). it doesn't follow that some empty land near a railway line would inherently be a good spot for industry.

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

either way, you will need to build a new line from the existing freight line to the western sydney airport. they are already planning this. it is going to take time and money to develop in either case. they are already in the middle of constructing a new intermodal terminal with a spur line from the existing freight line. they wouldn't use the green line because that isn't the freight line, and is two tracks for a segment. in fact, the new spur runs alongside it. that they are willing to lay down new line including a new bridge in order to avoid appropriating existing commuter rail should indicate the relative merit of your idea. this conversation is pointless.

Tokamak fucked around with this message at 04:16 on May 15, 2023

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

freight rail is federal and commuter rail is state. they try to maintain separate lines, but there are parts that are leased (for example, along the south coast). there is already a freight line in the area that connects to port botany, so they wouldn't lease redundant rail. it is also why i would expect them to build an additional freight line alongside the leppington line (so it connects to and operates independently of the commuter line). to explain why one proposal is better than the other would require an understanding of the development of the western sydney airport, surrounding areas, and the new rail lines that serve it. determining and reserving a new corridor is literally the first step in planning a new rail line.

if you are interested in learning about it, you just need to read about it on your own time. i had to read some new things in order to answer some of your questions. i can't answer what you are asking to your satisfaction without wading through years of development documents, but you should be doing that and not me. it becomes a lot clearer the more you read on the subject. it is an interesting subject, but like most things it is complicated, and can't be easily digested over a casual forum conversation.

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

GoldStandardConure posted:

bucky you should play cities: skylines

this is the more fun outlet for this stuff

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

This is from that link, I really don't see any way for this to feasibly work:

fyi, some of the train plans are out of date, but it is one of the more illustrative ones for the region. it makes more sense when you see all the other lines they are planning to build in the west. it is simpler to build the new purple line from the new outer sydney freight line to the existing industrial area, then extending it to the existing freight line, than it is to relocate everything. you also get a new intermodal facility to literally service the area you are complaining about and will continue to provide jobs for western sydney, while keeping the leppington area open to future growth for south west sydney. i don't understand why you don't think it will feasibly work, since they are already working on it. the whole region has been mapped out for future growth based around the airport. nothing is stopping you from reading about this stuff. you don't even seem to know where the existing freight line is located, or why that green line would be redundant even going with your plan. just do a little bit of reading please. if you enjoyed doing a little thought experiment with your plan, then reading what they are actually doing is fun too.

Tokamak fucked around with this message at 13:08 on May 15, 2023

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

It's 100 minutes, and it specifically identifies capitalism and capitalists as the root cause.

that's longer than the communist manifesto

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

Jezza of OZPOS posted:

north qld has been wiped out lmao

good