Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Non Compos Mentis posted:

https://twitter.com/cameronwilson/status/1612307793440313346

This is the way things are going to be from now on isn't it?

Cookers "just asking questions" about every loving thing

You're the one thinking these dipshits are actually buying and eating spinach instead of whatever domino's coupon is valid that day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Imagine being such a pedophile that you die from hip surgery.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Bucky Fullminster posted:

Wow what an honour, thanks lesbians.

Speaking of compliant drones, Raging Waters is a great water park, but as you can imagine, on a hot day, the lines get prohibitively long. But while they have 45+ minute lines, they’re sending groups of 2 down 4 person slides. So there are 2 empty seats on a significant number of descents. While there are hundreds of people who waiting. Which is infuriating. So I sent my kids to the top to say “hi excuse me next time there are 2 empty seats can we jump in please”; and they reduce the turnaround by 95%. Woop Woop.

the 15yo kid doing the lifeguarding at the top does not give a gently caress.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

So its rather obvious Perottet is trying to get in front of something before it gets out.

does it even matter at this point? I dont see this hurting his election chances at all.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

ShoeFly posted:

He just happened to be wearing a Nazi uniform.

Any bets on it being David Elliott and the Clubs lobby?

I meant obviously someone was going to leak the photo so he decided to announced it before they could in an effort to save face

Not like Minns has a chance in hell but maybe that's why.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

BlitzkriegOfColour posted:

No on hates the fash (or the Royal family) more than me, but ffs, it was a costume party. The idea is that you dress up as something you aren't.

It's not disrespecting anyone like, for instance, blackface. It's not glorifying nazism. It's just dress up.

To be honest, same.

how many people in here have never at any point in their teens/twenties (either as a 'joke' amongst friends or with intent to hurt feelings):
R-Slur
F-slur (including calling lame things gay)
racial slurs
dressed up as a minority
made fun of a disabled person

I'll be the first to say I did. heaps. I was an angry teenager that copped plenty of bullying myself, so i figured if thats the way the world works, so be it. bully people. pick on them because they're different. But I grew up and realised that being a oval office to people all the time doesnt really get you very far and its easier to be nice to people (most of the time)

Kids learn, people change, and language and society changes. 18 years ago we did not have social media and an army of PC police to get up your rear end the second you say something that someone might take offence to. go and watch any comedy from that era and tell me how many times they make a sexist/racist/homophobic/ableist joke. you'll need a notepad to keep score.

is it problematic to dress up as a japanese soldier from WW2 or a german or turkish soldier from WW1? is it problematic to dress up like a US soldier from desert storm? Film and TV depict nazis and 'bad guys' plenty - is that also haram now? Darth Vader was the bad guy in star wars, real big fascist. cant wear that any more either?

Everyone did dumb offensive poo poo when we were young, and learning and growing from that is a good thing. People are going to have dirty laundry - no one was a perfect person their entire life, and its kind of insane to think of some squeaky clean, never stepped out of line person being the ideal for someone at Doms level of power. Id rather someone in power that has made mistakes and learned from them than someone who thinks they are immaculate and never done a thing wrong. if you arent making yourself a better person every day then what are you doing?

Dom is a oval office, so are the Libs and the Nazis so dont think Im defending anyone here but this isnt exactly the slam dunk whoever pressured him about it thinks it is. Most people are gonna see this and go 'oh, OK then.'

I still think Dom should get in the bin but this attempt at smearing him aint gonna do it.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Electric Wrigglies posted:

I agree you would probably get away with it but I think it would be ill-advised to dress up in any German (or Italian or Japanese) uniform. Agreed that it is much worse to have the Gestapo dress gear on but the days of running amok as a youth and it not being stored for use later on against you is over.

I have mates that cleaned up their social media of pictures of them smoking. It was not a big deal at all 10 years ago to be a smoker but in another twenty or thirty, it might be a hit in electoral/job chances as being so dumb as to smoke when in uni or whatever.

Vapes are basically everywhere. It's acceptable. Smoking is only on the way out because of the cost.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Electric Wrigglies posted:

huh, I thought there was a hate on them. Bad example then.

Next one is pure breed pets, something that is likely from a breeder as opposed to an animal rescue bitsa (unless it is a service dog in which case there is a very good reason blind dogs are specifically bred).

terrible example. People want specific dogs for different lifestyles and purposes.

Rescues are my preferred way for people to get dogs however they can be a gamble when it comes to their personality and neuroses/ailments. Gotta be careful with kids too.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Comstar posted:

I spent 2 days telling the doctors "I don't care about the time line, my entire body going bright red is a reaction to one of the several antibiotic's you've got me on for 12 hours of the day". To be fair, I could not tell them which one. They figured it out eventually.

Also, I found out why Oxy-Codene is a narcotic. Being able to turn on and off my dreams and dream-state at will and have imaginary people standing around and talking is what I presume getting high is like? Wasn't very pleasant though, I'm not sure it's that enjoyable. I tried making a movie in the dream but it didn't work.

Is that why they took Codene off the Coles shelf?

A now very distant friend had smoked heroin once or twice and said it was basically that yeah. 'like a big warm hug from every good memory you've ever had, all at once, for the whole time.'

Codeine is basically nurofen in comparison to oxycodone.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Cooker is dumb. Hopefully it's just a shortened, monetisation friendly way of saying cooked oval office because calling them cookers sounds dumb as poo poo and is too adjacent to kooka(burra)

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

I cut my knee and elbow open skateboarding, could see the fat tissue in my elbow and some bone in my knee even, and they wouldnt even do stitches. 'unless you are really worried about how your elbow looks when it heals just bandage and betadine, change it daily.'

when i said 'what about superglue? i heard thats a thing now'

'oh yeah you can do that. I'm not though.

this was after they made me stand outside in the cold/rain waiting for 30min because of covid capacity limits in their office.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

surely you're too old for such shenanigans

I am but it hasn't stopped me.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Centusin posted:

I sure hope Minns plans on committing to Dom's pokie reforms because the policy seems pretty good.

A 50k interest free loan to upgrade a small venues machines to the latest models so they are compliant is basically a grant to the club to install the latest and greatest skinner boxes.

Every machine is cashless ready if it isn't cashless already. They have been in clubs for years.

And the 50k grant for "entertainment alternatives" is going to go towards hosting events like Melbourne cup and grand final instead of live music and artists/infrastructure supporting those things.

I worked in ops for a small* clubsNSW club for three years and they had plenty of fancy ways of taking grants like that and turning into events and rewards for high rollers.

*small classification includes clubs with up to 180 gaming machines.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Cartoon posted:

In fairness 50,000 divided by 180 doesn't leave much on the table.

In funnier news despite the clubsnsw ceo being sacked for suggesting it, Perrottet has told 7:30, upon reflection, he is completely driven by his Catholic faith.

Most venues don't have many if any old machines that aren't compatible with cashless. The money will be spent bringing in new machines with more addictive games.

The old CRT based machines are probably the only ones that are outright not compatible but even those were hooked up the member rewards cards at my venue.

It'll depend how they qualify what can be upgraded vs replaced, and I bet Tabcorp and aristocrat will say that to meet the standards of *this* system, any machine older than 2005 for example won't meet criteria and need replacing.

I'm not arguing against cashless but if you think this is a community first, pokies second decision then lmao. It's going to mean every venue in the state will be upgrading machines to brand spankers skinner boxes with the latest hooks built in.

The only solution to the pokies problem is to pull them out of pubs and clubs. Anything else is a joke.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

glad we banned the sale of effective pain meds 5 years ago only to ban the inneffective ones a few years later too!

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

DRINK ME posted:

Was in Woolies tonight and based on the recent discussion thought I’d grab a pack of paracetamol, unfortunately only the most expensive ones are left of the shelf. Panic buying paracetamol?

Panamax (off brand Panadol) is a buck for 100 last time I bought it which was probably a while ago cos as previously mentioned it doesn't loving work on me.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

Do you think there are members of parliament that don't know how to use a computer?

NSW gov clusters are our big customers at work. The higher the pay grade, the less ability they have with even simple tech like smart phones.

It's not just tech either, they are just insanely, incredibly stupid in every aspect. I asked one of them three times for a delivery address because they kept giving me PO Boxes and I needed a street address. They didn't understand what the difference was.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Thats a lot of sex swings

Better make sure the roof is rated to hold all of them

Not many studs in a brothel.

The Lord Bude posted:

I hope it isn’t fabric seating that would be a bitch to clean cumstains out of.

I share an underground carpark with a strip club. there was a cool purple velvet couch left in the car park one night.

got within 6ft of it and it was apparent that there was no saving that particular couch.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

The only reason cops should be allowed to join Mardi Gras js so they can be booed and egged mercilessly.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Hell make it 50% for anyone over 5mil. No one needs that much money.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

hambeet posted:

clearly laserface doesn't own a seadoo

My 72yr old dad does (he's had the same one for over 20 years because he refuses to sell anything)

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Sierra Madre posted:

Pride is inherently an event meant to present a community to the mainstream and say 'we are not a threat, we are just like you, we belong in society

Yeah so why are cops allowed to participate again?

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

If he was really concerned about the welfare of his wife he wouldn't make her pop kids out like a loving popcorn machine.

Probably a bit too on the edgy side but when I saw that she had several miscarriages I was like "lady you have NINE children I think you should expect a few false starts"

Poison womb heaven crowded etc.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Voted grn 1 labor 2 and then 1/2/3 legalise/greens/Labor.

No democracy snag but I did get a coffee that has cleaned me out better than any zinger box ever has.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Redezga posted:

When I went to vote the only parties with Vote 1 signs and people handing out how to vote papers were Libs and Labor, so Winston Hills has hosed up already in its first ever election as an electoral district. Greens had a candidate but they clearly decided it wasn't worth the effort, lol.

Winston hills is a nicer part of norwest so the joke is on you for thinking the Christian idiots would vote for Labor let alone greens.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

lih posted:

legalise cannabis's #1 candidate is an ex-green who was booted from the party after he was credibly accused of sexual assault, sexual harassment, and covering up another sexual assault within the party

Oh ok I'll go change my vote then

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Recoome posted:

Wow so it turns out 7.9 million drivers licence numbers were leaked due to the Latitude hack.

That’s just under 40% of the entire adult population of Australia.

dont worry in 5-10 years when all the L1/L2 computer janitors on 457s are trained up as entry level security analysts and then immediately go work overseas for way more money we will have it sorted.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Thinking about all those real estate agencies that require pages and pages of personal data just to apply to live in a sharehouse and the level of cybersecurity expertise the average real estate agency has.

95% of those applications go straight in the shredder after they've already rented the place out to someone at $150/wk above market value before the inspection.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

trunkh posted:

Computers don't get shredded nore typically wiped properly. In what century was the last time you put in a rental application?

August 2021.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

I'll get right on it Bucky.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

To be clear, money is not the only way to influence people. Disinformation is far more insidious than that, and people are far more complicated.

Have you seen what's happened to the socio-political landscape, particularly in America? I'm tired, if you think a tv show needs more love then you write about it.

It's not a gimmick, and clearly it's not effective.

One of the best pieces of advice I ever got came from this thread - "read the room, bite the tongue." I am yet to figure out how to reconcile that with what to do when we are under attack and I'm trying to sound the alarm. And people are being repeatedly and explicitly told to not listen, that it's nonsense, and that the person sounding it is crazy. By mods and journalists who haven't even actually read the thing they are banning, let alone found a single thing that's actually wrong with it. This isn't about the article, this is about the response to it.

The whole point is that people are living in different realities, and we need to be able to figure out how to communicate across that gap to find a way forward. That's the challenge, and it's extremely difficult, especially in these circumstances. I think someone in here also said "people are not thinking beings that feel, they are feeling beings that think", and there seems to be a big element of that at play too.

Thanks Amethyst, and hear hear Ranter.

No one here is saying you don't have good evidence or that it's all a lie. Your article is too long for any of the fuckwits that you're trying to communicate to, and everyone else that does care knows your article isn't going to fix anything.

We had a very public tv series exposing Q on a global scale and nobody really gives a poo poo about it any more.

You aren't convincing people that agree with you entirely to read your article. How will you get through to cooked cunts?

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Comstar posted:

We're going to see the Labor vs Greens come 2-3 Federal Elections from now.

Toxx?

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Cable Guy posted:

I see Fairfax et al are already trying to trivialise The Indigenous Voice to Parliament by just referring to it as "The Voice" like it's some loving Reality Talent Quest....

Call it by its name for fucks sake...

oh good now Dutton will argue this for the next 3 months.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Bargearse posted:

There’s decent money in the private sector for former politicians who know how the system works from the inside. I’m casually acquainted with a former MP who went that route.

I worked at a bowlo and Morris Iemma was the 'community manager' and let me tell you for someone whos entire responsibility was to give grants to his childrens the community sports teams he sure spent a lot of time in meetings with state/local politicians, clubsNSW and aristrocrat/TAB and club management talking about poker machines and strategizing on how to best fight lobby against pokies reform.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

hooman posted:

With the tiktok ban from government devices, does anyone here know what other apps are banned from government devices? Like do they have an "approved apps" list and you can only download them if they hit that list (which presumably tiktok has been removed from) or are these melted brained pricks still free to download "COIN RUSH XXL! XD" and have all their data scraped?

EDIT: I'm try to distinguish whether this is just another outshoot of "China BAD" rhetoric we're importing from the US or whether this is a fair appraisal of security risks, which would also includes things like the facebook app, or snapchat.

I work for a company that manages most of the NSW state gov MDM (mobile device management)

the only one with any real MDM security policies (for now) is FACS/DCJ. its mostly about data sovereignty and because a lot of their work involves minors and sensitive/delicate info of people in very lovely situations (DV etc). there is 'approved' apps but they can also just grab anything from the app store if they want. the approved apps list is generally just stuff the organisation uses, but it is in addition to the app store.

AFAIK nothing is overtly blocked from the app store at this time. if there is, they dont talk about it.

most people with a gov issued phone also have a personal phone, so they dont really use anything besides Outlook/work specific apps on their work phone. i would guess it is about 5-10% that have their gov issued device as their single phone.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Update to my previous post, NSW Cyber Security is advising all agencies to block TikTok and some have already implemented the change.

Outlook/Teams/other apps do not function if TikTok is detected on the device.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Gonna be sick living in a hot cube in the desert with no resources innit

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

I thought they cancelled the robodebt thing?

They didn't cancel the mandarin robodebt scam thing tho

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

my brother had a spare ticket to the Jordies live show about Bruz. I went. cliffnotes for those interested:

- FJ paid barilaros court costs of 50k (not a 100k settlement as reported) and a 50k fee to ask to have a jury hear the case (they wanted a jury because there was a better chance they would 'get' the humour involved) that the judge knocked back because quote 'ive watched a youtube, i get the internet' and then pronounced 'bruz' as if it were a french word.
- the settlement included Barilaro signing a document that said everything FJ said he did was not defamatory or untrue (tacitly confirming that everything reported was in fact true)
- FJ had to apologise for hurting Bariilaros feelings, nothing else.

about the google case:
- they dont know for sure but the educated guess from their lawyer is that case against google ended with google dropping their defense because if they lost and Google ended up a classified as a publisher and not a platform would set a pretty scary precedent for Google and they couldnt afford to let that happen. FJ was originally a witness in that case and had planned to use their settlement document as evidence however Google chickened out at the last minute, changed to a whole different legal team and settled as reported.

nothing (directly accusatory) about who he thought firebombed his house, plenty of wog jokes, ad hominems and stereotype humour that everyone here frowns about.

spent too much time getting mad that the mainstream media dont like him in the middle then rounded the show out with a big spiel about how they were just pawns in a much bigger game re: the google case and democracy isnt real.

decent show, was funny enough (even if you totally exclude all the questionable humor and just leave it as a story about court) but a little preachy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

I dont understand either. I have never seen anyone getting a script at a chemist that wasnt just a box or bottle of pills.

my chemist it usually only takes 5min and she spends 4 of those minutes on the computer helping me figure out how to use the E-script thing, presumably logging in to the TGA thing to check im allowed to have dexies still, and then dispensing the drug takes all of 2 seconds to fetch from the shelf. not even in a safe.