Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005

drunkill posted:

when are we getting the victorian election thread???

the polls were exaggerated and it turns out any chance of a victorian election thread was largely imagined by matthew guy's chief of staff

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005
no, it's the kids that are wrong

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005
They did say what it was contaminated with it just took a few days, thorn apple. As to any "well if that's all why did it take so long" that inevitably follows it's a commercial farming operation over gently caress knows how many ks, they can acknowledge they're the source of something and still not have 24/7 to scour the loving fields for it. gently caress conspiracy people make me so mad, like answers are just loving instantaneous and you can just put together an investigation like that before some news anchor can finish saying "don't eat spinach"

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005
still reckon we kick off the housing market solutions with some guillotines on castors. asking politely isn't working.

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005
Do I have any recourse to Karen-it-up over a bulk billing GP (3 of them at the same clinic) refusing to do a walk-in? It was an injury, not something we could have booked in advance. We got it taken care of by going to the hospital but I'm loving annoyed cos I feel like a goose going the hospital with something non lifethreatening and those lazy pricks wouldn't even loving look at it to say "yeah, it's bad enough we don't want to risk it".

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005
I should be clear, not to harass receptionists, to be honest the receptionist and nurse actually tried their best. I mean like is there any pointing trying to write to RACGP or AMA or somebody who might give a poo poo and tell the practice generally to, politely and formally, eat poo poo and stop adding pressure to the hospital system? Or is this all part of a strategic lying down over bulk billing rebates and no1curr

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005
Right, well, that sucks for the hospital system. At least the parking fee is still less than most private gaps I've ever paid.

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005
Cool idea when ibuprofen is associated with risk of bleeds in lots of contexts so will force a gently caress tonne of people to the GP for ... A headache!

Edit: I'm not watching channel 9, maybe it's proposing packet size limits and drivers licence flashing that just makes it inconvenient chemist visits and it's just tough luck if you don't have a 24hr chemist on hand and the ability to get there with something simple like aforementioned headaches

G-Spot Run fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Feb 7, 2023

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005
my genetic legacy is the ability to gently caress up a public holiday, so extreme ymmv vibes, but i've had lots of inconveniently timed pain management experiences and i just feel bad for those similarly afflicted.

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005

froglet posted:

Guess who's pregnant and been taking the stuff to the max this past week coz there's really not much else I can take with this blasted virus or the tonsilitis that took over after?!

... This gal. :dance: :gonk:

:sigh:

Interesting to know, though. :smith:

Everything is risky and poorly understood in pregnancy because it's not ethical to test anything, not on mothers or on random embryos in a lab. Fever, virus, ibuprofen would all be some degree riskier ... For that matter, salad is recognised as a bigger risk than paracetamol. Try not to think about it too much :)

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005
It's not as simple as that for many reasons including accessibility of immediate or per-day trips to get more, how the per-day limit translates to medicines for children (doses are very precise, getting that little bit of liquid slurry out without air bubbles mucking up the measurement in a nearly empty bottle with your patience intact while your child is miserable is an exercise in sainthood), and how it's going to lead to a lot more people having to go to emergency and gp clinics because the times we need medicine are often not the times the chemist is open (or when you can go to Coles for adult packets. Maybe. If the legislation to limit packet sales is trusting minimum wage retail to give a gently caress)

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005

freebooter posted:

Opinions sought, since probably a lot of people here have HECS debt: is it worth making a voluntary repayment before EOFY since it's pegged to inflation and for the first time in forever, inflation is going to be loving 8% or something?

It obviously depends on your personal financial situation whether you have money sitting around in the first place (I personally could only stump up a few grand) but since the conventional wisdom is that there's never any point in making voluntary HECS repayments, it was a "huh" moment for me when a friend pointed this out to me today.

I also bothered to log on to MyGov and check the last few CPI indexations for HECS payments on June 1:

2018 - 1.9%
2019 - 1.8%
2020 - 1.8%
2021 - 0.6%
2022 - 3.9%

wait until budget night announcements. there is a pushback for this exact reason, who knows if they'll give a gently caress, but don't risk 'wasting' your money before any potential budget night announcements that they'll skip inflation or tie it to wages or some other poo poo idfk.

edit: oh, and write your local mp about your concerns too.

G-Spot Run fucked around with this message at 09:17 on Feb 12, 2023

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005
mine (stem subjects, old world rates) was nearly paid off then i decided it would be fun to try teaching and to get my second subject + dip ed as post grad set me back another 30k over 2 years.

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005
this was 10 years ago though when the teacher shortage was largely academic so i gave up after two years of being unable to find a metro job. I had 2 interviews for long service leave positions and even quit my job in part to pursue casual relief and it just never happened, rip, so it was $30k for nothing

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005
that's an interesting account, not necessarily for the clickbait adjustments, there are some very softened blows

https://twitter.com/ausheadlinebot/status/1624969671899217925?cxt=HHwWioCwhdTTho0tAAAA
https://twitter.com/ausheadlinebot/status/1624998926322479104

https://twitter.com/ausheadlinebot/status/1624967149109346308

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005
i guess the problem with mild overton window shuffling is that we'll all be underwater/burnt to cinders/both before the overton window has come to terms with what's needed to avoid dying.

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005
but ... but if they did that then people wouldn't vote labor on conservative issues and liberals would rule unimpeded forever, what to do, what to do!

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005
it's almost like representative democracy requires you have principles and negotiation and not a sledgehammer to get what you want

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005
i wish they'd relieve your posting

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005
they keep not-namedropping someone with 400 million, i feel like surely it's gotta be gina, but then again maybe they wouldn't spite their donors like that and it's the bitbucket guy?

edit AGAIN: donation disclosures are boring AF but both of the above gave money to lnp for sure but not so sure about alp so they seem like solid choices

G-Spot Run fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Feb 28, 2023

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005
i could have sworn all the fossil fuels played both sides but it seems you are right about gina specifically

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005
i'd rather chew glass, let a journalist do it for you

https://www.crikey.com.au/2023/02/01/political-donations-aec-labor-coalition-uap/

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005
i think it's wise and fair to have concerns anytime someone thinks "subservient" is a good choice of words for a statement about or affecting people of colour

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005

JBP posted:

If my wife was sick and I could call some bloke to potentially hurry it up I would. Who cares.

people who've had loved ones die due to ambulance response times and/or ramping will care.

see also: "boris johnson had a party during lockdown"

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005
i know you're old enough to have heard the phrase (or equivalent) 'one rule for the ruling and one rule for the ruled' so being a disingenuous troll about it doesn't really change my response.

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005
Not for long

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005
greens votes are moderately up, it's still affected by the false narrative of "first past the post/wasted votes" of a tight contest though which is why the big two like it

edit: ah, nsw greens went back.

edit edit: I read gud and that's what you were saying too, but vic state election greens gained a point or two

G-Spot Run fucked around with this message at 12:56 on Apr 1, 2023

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005

freebooter posted:

No, we're going to plough into a bad inflation-and-interest-rate driven recession, lots of people are going to lose their houses and jobs and blame the Labor government, and the result will be a coalition landslide in 2025

You're assuming they don't come up with a modern ruddbucks/jobkeeper (my understanding most of the good stuff was drafted by Labor)/other economic policy that cuts through the worst of it. They are actually good at coming up with economic strategies and not letting everyone drown in their own problems because "party of personal responsibility and bootstraps"

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005
Lowe thinks capitalism is good.

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005
Uh yeah. It's not a secret, he gave testimony in the senate hearings about it. Saying the article about the RBAs plan reads like pure capitalism... Yes, the call is coming from inside the house.

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005
There's a science communicator/YouTuber Sabine Hossenfelder who has a very good video talking about hydro of all colours of the rainbow. I watch them as I'm going to sleep usually, so I'm paraphrasing a lot here, but the vibe I left with was ".... Nah".

I think it's this one https://youtu.be/Zklo4Z1SqkE

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005
im sorry we broke our promise to never have a gst in this country and look how much the media shits on us for it and how little trust left in us now to be good economic managers

sorry? what did i say?

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005
oh cool they even have a register of broken promises https://parlinfo.aph.gov.au/parlInfo/search/display/display.w3p;query=Id:%22library/partypol/EZID6%22

but no we can't break our promises, circumstances never change, we're forced to hold the line of our "soft opposition" strategies forever now

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005

The Lord Bude posted:

In theory; but I doubt the murderer was overly concerned with putting her body in the correct bin, especially given it seems she was killed over her penchant for obsessing over whether people were putting things in the right bin.

There's got to be some other poo poo going down because it seems like a weird assumption vs 'misadventure' for an old woman who regularly bin dives.

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005
get in the loving bin

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005
i would never have predicted labor would set their next under 30 campaign strategy to 'gently caress you, vote green' but here we are

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005
lmao centre left

people lol about the grn primary vote but the fact is the nats have far less and it's all about voter concentration. labor gonna keep shedding inner city seats to grn just like lib have lost to teal and shrugging 'oh well but at least we have ~ * ~ preference flows ~ * ~ ' like that loving means anything when you lose incumbency

i for one welcome our new activist overlords