Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

theamazingchris
Feb 1, 2016

: D

Hi everyone! Welcome to my Let's Play of Paradise Killer, a detective game where you find out who killed the oligopoly in charge of your demon/alien-worshipping cult. As you might imagine, a whole host of bizarre and interesting suspects pack the sunny Paradise Island, where a slave underclass props up the luxurious whims of a small, elite Syndicate. You are Lady Love Dies, a member of the Syndicate, previously exiled for getting demonically possessed and causing a ruckus, but you're back in the saddle for one last job.

This game is a murder mystery, so there will be examining of crime scenes which will have blood and guts. Other than that, though, it's generally a pretty relaxed ride, though it can get thematically heavy. Please do not spoil anything about the storyline, but please do speculate if you're still in the dark! It's all part of the fun. This is a completionist playthrough, so feel free to gently nudge me if you think I missed a collectible or some such thing.

I'll be joined once again by my co-host Tyler, who is going in blind as usual, but this time I'm fully in the driver's seat. Having said that, this is still gonna be a slow-paced and relaxed experience, so crack open your favourite Dead Nebula product and relax. We're gonna find out how Paradise was Killed.

Here's a playlist of all the episodes.

theamazingchris fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Jan 19, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theamazingchris
Feb 1, 2016

Episode 1: The Idle Lands

In this episode, Judge breaks us out of our prison cell. Lady Love Dies, the investigation freak, is needed once more. An old friend awaits, ready to take us back to Paradise.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

I'm gonna laugh so hard if the council is, in fact, not dead at all and our investigator got it in one after the judge said that no one had actually seen the bodies.

theamazingchris
Feb 1, 2016

Episode 2: Syndicate HQ

In this episode, we admire the statuary in the lush Syndicate HQ, while picking up a new movement option!

theamazingchris
Feb 1, 2016

Episode 3: Carmelina Silence

In this episode, we question our first suspect, island architect and temporary leader, Carmelina Silence. Afterwards, we attempt to access the scene of the crime, only to be stymied by a mysterious obstacle.

NHO
Jun 25, 2013

This story is pretty, I am enjoying LP so far.

theamazingchris
Feb 1, 2016

Episode 4: Doctor Doom Jazz

In this episode, we do some platforming and collectible-hunting around the council building, and talk to our second suspect, the flirtatious Doctor Doom Jazz.

theamazingchris
Feb 1, 2016

This Christmas, the Silent Goat has given me the wonderful gift of killing my internet access. So, no episode tomorrow as I sacrifice a kidnapped citizen in thanks.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
Truly, we citizens are blessed by the Silent Goat and hope that the Syndicate regains access to the Island

resurgam40
Jul 22, 2007

Battler, the literal stupidest man on earth. Why are you even here, Battler, why did you come back to this place so you could fuck literally everything up?
Boy, I discovered this game recently and just tore through it in a day. Love the naming convention, love the art style, and yes, if the gods were real there would absolutely be people like this, and you work for them!

And we haven't even gotten to my favorite character yet :allears:

theamazingchris
Feb 1, 2016

Episode 5: Yuri Night

The Silent Goat is indeed merciful! My internet has been restored, and just in time for us to interview our next island resident, Yuri Night; as well as snoop around underneath the Council building, where some interesting items have been discarded.

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"
I caught a bit of Secret Sleepover Society streaming this a while back, and it looked really interesting

Enjoying the LP!

Pf. Hikikomoriarty
Feb 15, 2003

RO YNSHO

Slippery Tilde
this game is stylish and deranged as gently caress, i enjoyed it but never quite finished it, looking forward to the rest of this lp

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

This game rules. Love the soundtrack.

theamazingchris
Feb 1, 2016

Episode 6: Henry Division

Thanks for all the encouraging words! We're diving right back into things today, interviewing the prime suspect, Henry Division, currently incarcerated on Paradise's prison island under the watchful eye of Marshal Akiko 14.

resurgam40
Jul 22, 2007

Battler, the literal stupidest man on earth. Why are you even here, Battler, why did you come back to this place so you could fuck literally everything up?
...OK, yeah, I encourage people not to listen to this at work, or anywhere it might cause embarrassment, because between these two, the air's gone blue.

Nenorocito, for example- it essentially means "motherfucker," but with a feminine element, so whenerver she calls love dies that, she's calling her a "loving bitch/whore." Akiko... is a lot. (Henry is a lot too, but honestly, his anger is a lot more understandable.)

theamazingchris
Feb 1, 2016

Yeah, she does not let up with the invective. That's her favourite way of cussing out LD but she has a couple others that we will soon have the pleasure of experiencing.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

So at this point I'm thinking I know the reason the judge let us loose on this one:

After watching everyone do their thing, the judge thought to themselves,
"the gently caress, guys? The council has been murdered and this is all you're gonna do about it? Just go, yup, this is the guy and ignore the fact that everything about this is suspicious? You're not even looking for evidence! For fucks sake we're standing right next to a fence that smells of mortal explosives and you're all just declaring a demon did it and moving on without any thought?! You know what? Screw you guys, the freaking exile that ruined everything is a better choice than you idiots"

That said, for everything we've seen you know what we still haven't seen? Any conclusive evidence that the council is actually dead. I'm sticking to my theory that love dies called it in episode one when she asked about it.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

FoolyCharged posted:

So at this point I'm thinking I know the reason the judge let us loose on this one:

After watching everyone do their thing, the judge thought to themselves,
"the gently caress, guys? The council has been murdered and this is all you're gonna do about it? Just go, yup, this is the guy and ignore the fact that everything about this is suspicious? You're not even looking for evidence! For fucks sake we're standing right next to a fence that smells of mortal explosives and you're all just declaring a demon did it and moving on without any thought?! You know what? Screw you guys, the freaking exile that ruined everything is a better choice than you idiots"

That said, for everything we've seen you know what we still haven't seen? Any conclusive evidence that the council is actually dead. I'm sticking to my theory that love dies called it in episode one when she asked about it.

My biggest question with that thought is: what's the motive for the council to play dead instead of get the ego boost from being in charge of the perfect island? For that matter it doesn't seem like they'd need something like this to talk folks into just ditching Henry on this island or getting rid of him when they were expecting the next island to finally end the search for a perfect one. The only idea I have for that is that somehow they figure they have to be gone as figures in order for the island to be truly perfect, which would explain why certain folks are very invested in the cover story, but then why wasn't Judge co-opted or hacked somehow? It's just stupid to leave an AI as a loose end when trying to pull this kinda crap, even if the Council somehow forgot Lady Love Dies was exiled, not irretrievable.

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe
this game rules. 10/10 would sacrifice people to evil absent gods to listen to vaporwave all day

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
I feel like Henry raises some valid points

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Sindai posted:

I dunno, is kidnapping people into slavery and them murdering the survivors and their children really all that bad of a thing?

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

I hope we can get some amount of justice for Henry. It's a bit much to expect that the book pusher is definitely directly involved in the Council murder plot, but it'd be nice to get some currently comfortable and non-exiled jackass stuck in front of the Judge for at best reckless negligence in magical teaching if not being directly responsible for giving a Citizen who doesn't know the risks that exist the tools to gently caress themselves up permanently and ruin an island to boot.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

Sindai posted:

Especially about needing a hobby. How can it be a paradise island without a nice hobby like chess, music or demon summoning?

theamazingchris
Feb 1, 2016

Episode 7: Grand Marshal Akiko 14

In this episode, we speak with the delightful Grand Marshal Akiko 14, before returning to the mainland of Paradise, where we receive a phone call from an enigmatic figure.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

They truly are evil if they are part of the cult of drinking too much water. Do they not trust their kidneys?!

resurgam40
Jul 22, 2007

Labagiu means wanker, Rahat is poo poo (of the bull variety) , Enervezi literally means annoying, but much like the Japanese counterpart urusai, is interpreted as "Shut up/Piss off"... Not everything Akiko says in Romanian is a direct swear, but none of it is nice, I'm sure you will be shocked to learn.

But seems we're ending with a bit of whiplash- from my least favorite character to my most favorite.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

For some odd reason I thought of this during this episode

theamazingchris
Feb 1, 2016

Episode 8: Crimson Acid

In this episode, we delve into the sewer lair of the information broker and island idol, Crimson Acid.

theamazingchris
Feb 1, 2016

Episode 9: The Witness to the End

Another week in paradise, and this time we're exploring the small, elite enclave of the Syndicate Apartments, and speaking to the island's most outspoken zealot, Witness to the End.

fractalairduct
Sep 26, 2015

I, Giorno Giovanna, have a dream!

The cuneiform is, apparently, taken from the Code of Hammurabi.

theamazingchris
Feb 1, 2016

Well, that scans!

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

I for one believe that Witness is on the correct path and would never steer us away from the Silent Goat :catholic:

curiousCat
Sep 23, 2012

Does this look like the face of mercy, kupo?
This game is wonderful.

theamazingchris
Feb 1, 2016

Episode 10: Lydia Day Break

In this episode, we meet back up with our friend Lydia who drove us out of exile, and go for a cruise in her car, Burn Parliament. Hell yeah.

theamazingchris
Feb 1, 2016

Episode 11: Sam Day Break

In this episode, we speak to the final resident on our current suspect list; Sam Day Break. I also say the most awful pun of my life.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

@17min - "Is this a joke, LD?"

I like how the starlight skin on the roof is based on the artwork in the bar

theamazingchris
Feb 1, 2016

Episode 12: Citizen Housing

In this episode, we have finally conducted primary interviews with all the known residents of the island. So, while we explore the Citizen Housing district, as well as its enchanting convenience store, we discuss what to do next. And, why should Tyler have all the fun? For the next couple episodes, we'll be following up on leads that he's interested in, but I thought I would ask you all to help him out.

So, which of these options sounds more enticing?

1. Exploring the Dead Zone, where Henry Division murdered his mother 10 years ago, leading to a stain of demonic corruption that had to be covered up in a massive concrete ziggurat.

2. Exploring the Deep Factory and Agri-Fields, as well as the Reality Folding Drive. The industrial heart of Paradise, where the Citizens labour. Who knows what secrets are there, away from the prying eyes of the Syndicate.

Please vote 1 or 2 in your reply, if you want to participate! Whichever you choose, we'll be doing the following option afterwards, so don't fret too much if your option loses out.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Henry was never possessed. Its all a deep state coverup and it would be a complete waste of time to investigate. We should spend our time investigating important things, like the agri fields. Now cows? Those fuckers are suspicious. I've got my eye on them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009