Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

taiyoko
Jan 10, 2008

I'm all for finding out more about demonic possession, since didn't that happen to Lady LD and was the reason she was banished? If I'm remembering right, then how come she seems to have "got better" while Henry didn't?

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

I seem to recall Starlight's notes at one point saying Lady LD was seduced and another note somewhere I thought said she was deceived by a god. Being set up by a god like that probably isn't that different from being set up by a demon similarly but ending up possessed looks like a much more serious and permanent affair given all the poo poo they have set up to keep Henry locked down. Not sure the notes on any of the collectibles have talked a lot about any other possession cases but I get the sense you do not Get Better after being possessed (though what also is weird is that they kept him alive all this time, why the hell not kill him?)

theamazingchris
Feb 1, 2016

: D
I have mentioned a couple times that gods and demons in Paradise Killer aren't fundamentally different, which is true, but there are distinctions. They're just more differences of degree rather than kind. Gods tend to be more subtle and insidious in their influence. They don't directly take control of people.

None of this, by the way, is anything the Syndicate has a moral objection to or anything. The Gods are Gods, and they are thus worshipped and feared. Some of them are capricious, most are inscrutable, and some are helpful. But their motives are alien, and can't be counted on. But again, this isn't a problem to the Syndicate, per se. Mainly, the reason that they outlaw direct communion with the gods is due to the fact that the psychic pathways that such influence opens up are how demons get access to the island sequences.

Demons, once they get into the island, can't escape, and the damage they cause can't be mended. The Syndicate is extremely devoted to the perfection of the island sequences, and thus once a demon gets in, the only thing to do is imprison it to prevent further damage. This, by the way, is why they can't just execute Henry; it would basically only free the demon inhabiting his body to wreak havoc.

theamazingchris
Feb 1, 2016

Episode 13: K. HX's Workshop and the Opulent Ziggurat

In this episode, we explore the mountaintop, and certainly don't miss any obvious clues. Votes are currently tied 2-2! I'll be recording the next set of episodes this weekend, so get your votes in before then!

resurgam40
Jul 22, 2007

Battler, the literal stupidest man on earth. Why are you even here, Battler, why did you come back to this place so you could fuck literally everything up?
The Opulent Ziggurat is a place I've been waiting for you to visit, because it one of the less subtle hints of the kind of society Love Dies is working to defend. When the new island was born, this is the place that the Citizens were gathered, all 1000+ of them (except Henry), and were killed to create the energy needed for the next, supposedly more perfect, paradise. This has been done 25 times in pursuit of greater beauty and power fort the Syndicate. It is a repeated atrocity committed with an unknown (and probably forgotten) number of people, and our main character, our alleged heroine... has nothing to say. No half hearted apologist defense of such measures, no fervent exultation, no shame, no pride, and no horror- it is not germane to her investigation, so she moves right along, even having a completely unrelated conversation with Shinji. It's been a fact of life for a myriad, so she doesn't react to it at all- just break out more blood to get those collectibles, there's a ghost to talk to.

It's one of the better "banality of evil" moments I remember beiung in videogames, completely uncommented on. Heck, even Tyler talked about the too-big golden door first :v:

taiyoko
Jan 10, 2008

Ep 14 spoiler discussion (since the vid hasn't been linked here yet):

One Last Kiss asks who would be out of a job if there were no more islands....wouldn't Carmelina be out of a job too with no "next island" to architect?

theamazingchris
Feb 1, 2016

Episode 14: One Last Kiss

Up above the island, in the graveyard of the Syndicate, a strange apparition appears to us once more, full of interesting secrets.

theamazingchris
Feb 1, 2016

resurgam40 posted:

The Opulent Ziggurat is a place I've been waiting for you to visit, because it one of the less subtle hints of the kind of society Love Dies is working to defend. When the new island was born, this is the place that the Citizens were gathered, all 1000+ of them (except Henry), and were killed to create the energy needed for the next, supposedly more perfect, paradise. This has been done 25 times in pursuit of greater beauty and power fort the Syndicate. It is a repeated atrocity committed with an unknown (and probably forgotten) number of people, and our main character, our alleged heroine... has nothing to say. No half hearted apologist defense of such measures, no fervent exultation, no shame, no pride, and no horror- it is not germane to her investigation, so she moves right along, even having a completely unrelated conversation with Shinji. It's been a fact of life for a myriad, so she doesn't react to it at all- just break out more blood to get those collectibles, there's a ghost to talk to.

It's one of the better "banality of evil" moments I remember beiung in videogames, completely uncommented on. Heck, even Tyler talked about the too-big golden door first :v:

Well put. Hundreds died the night of the murders. Whose deaths are considered a crime?

theamazingchris
Feb 1, 2016

Hi! Sorry about the necro only to give bad news. Obviously, this LP is pretty much dead in the water, and it's my own fault. I managed to lose my backup saves and also record a bunch of content that has corrupted audio and/or missing video. These stupid errors compounded on each other in a way that is genuinely catastrophic. At this point, recovery would involve literally replaying the whole dang game based on my videos to return up to where I was. Since I really, really didn't want to do that, I more or less abandoned this for, let's see here, 6 months?

I'm mostly posting this to say, I have begun the process of restarting. It is the very definition of Not Fun so I am taking it slow. Don't wait with bated breath for this LP's triumphant return, but return it will.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

theamazingchris posted:

Hi! Sorry about the necro only to give bad news. Obviously, this LP is pretty much dead in the water, and it's my own fault. I managed to lose my backup saves and also record a bunch of content that has corrupted audio and/or missing video. These stupid errors compounded on each other in a way that is genuinely catastrophic. At this point, recovery would involve literally replaying the whole dang game based on my videos to return up to where I was. Since I really, really didn't want to do that, I more or less abandoned this for, let's see here, 6 months?

I'm mostly posting this to say, I have begun the process of restarting. It is the very definition of Not Fun so I am taking it slow. Don't wait with bated breath for this LP's triumphant return, but return it will.

Cripes, the LP curse strikes again. Condolences and don't worry, we'll still be here when you get your stuff back up to speed.