Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

theamazingchris
Feb 1, 2016

: D

Hi everyone! Welcome to my Let's Play of Paradise Killer, a detective game where you find out who killed the oligopoly in charge of your demon/alien-worshipping cult. As you might imagine, a whole host of bizarre and interesting suspects pack the sunny Paradise Island, where a slave underclass props up the luxurious whims of a small, elite Syndicate. You are Lady Love Dies, a member of the Syndicate, previously exiled for getting demonically possessed and causing a ruckus, but you're back in the saddle for one last job.

This game is a murder mystery, so there will be examining of crime scenes which will have blood and guts. Other than that, though, it's generally a pretty relaxed ride, though it can get thematically heavy. Please do not spoil anything about the storyline, but please do speculate if you're still in the dark! It's all part of the fun. This is a completionist playthrough, so feel free to gently nudge me if you think I missed a collectible or some such thing.

I'll be joined once again by my co-host Tyler, who is going in blind as usual, but this time I'm fully in the driver's seat. Having said that, this is still gonna be a slow-paced and relaxed experience, so crack open your favourite Dead Nebula product and relax. We're gonna find out how Paradise was Killed.

Here's a playlist of all the episodes.

theamazingchris fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Jan 19, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theamazingchris
Feb 1, 2016

Episode 1: The Idle Lands

In this episode, Judge breaks us out of our prison cell. Lady Love Dies, the investigation freak, is needed once more. An old friend awaits, ready to take us back to Paradise.

theamazingchris
Feb 1, 2016

Episode 2: Syndicate HQ

In this episode, we admire the statuary in the lush Syndicate HQ, while picking up a new movement option!

theamazingchris
Feb 1, 2016

Episode 3: Carmelina Silence

In this episode, we question our first suspect, island architect and temporary leader, Carmelina Silence. Afterwards, we attempt to access the scene of the crime, only to be stymied by a mysterious obstacle.

theamazingchris
Feb 1, 2016

Episode 4: Doctor Doom Jazz

In this episode, we do some platforming and collectible-hunting around the council building, and talk to our second suspect, the flirtatious Doctor Doom Jazz.

theamazingchris
Feb 1, 2016

This Christmas, the Silent Goat has given me the wonderful gift of killing my internet access. So, no episode tomorrow as I sacrifice a kidnapped citizen in thanks.

theamazingchris
Feb 1, 2016

Episode 5: Yuri Night

The Silent Goat is indeed merciful! My internet has been restored, and just in time for us to interview our next island resident, Yuri Night; as well as snoop around underneath the Council building, where some interesting items have been discarded.

theamazingchris
Feb 1, 2016

Episode 6: Henry Division

Thanks for all the encouraging words! We're diving right back into things today, interviewing the prime suspect, Henry Division, currently incarcerated on Paradise's prison island under the watchful eye of Marshal Akiko 14.

theamazingchris
Feb 1, 2016

Yeah, she does not let up with the invective. That's her favourite way of cussing out LD but she has a couple others that we will soon have the pleasure of experiencing.

theamazingchris
Feb 1, 2016

Episode 7: Grand Marshal Akiko 14

In this episode, we speak with the delightful Grand Marshal Akiko 14, before returning to the mainland of Paradise, where we receive a phone call from an enigmatic figure.

theamazingchris
Feb 1, 2016

Episode 8: Crimson Acid

In this episode, we delve into the sewer lair of the information broker and island idol, Crimson Acid.

theamazingchris
Feb 1, 2016

Episode 9: The Witness to the End

Another week in paradise, and this time we're exploring the small, elite enclave of the Syndicate Apartments, and speaking to the island's most outspoken zealot, Witness to the End.

theamazingchris
Feb 1, 2016

Well, that scans!

theamazingchris
Feb 1, 2016

Episode 10: Lydia Day Break

In this episode, we meet back up with our friend Lydia who drove us out of exile, and go for a cruise in her car, Burn Parliament. Hell yeah.

theamazingchris
Feb 1, 2016

Episode 11: Sam Day Break

In this episode, we speak to the final resident on our current suspect list; Sam Day Break. I also say the most awful pun of my life.

theamazingchris
Feb 1, 2016

Episode 12: Citizen Housing

In this episode, we have finally conducted primary interviews with all the known residents of the island. So, while we explore the Citizen Housing district, as well as its enchanting convenience store, we discuss what to do next. And, why should Tyler have all the fun? For the next couple episodes, we'll be following up on leads that he's interested in, but I thought I would ask you all to help him out.

So, which of these options sounds more enticing?

1. Exploring the Dead Zone, where Henry Division murdered his mother 10 years ago, leading to a stain of demonic corruption that had to be covered up in a massive concrete ziggurat.

2. Exploring the Deep Factory and Agri-Fields, as well as the Reality Folding Drive. The industrial heart of Paradise, where the Citizens labour. Who knows what secrets are there, away from the prying eyes of the Syndicate.

Please vote 1 or 2 in your reply, if you want to participate! Whichever you choose, we'll be doing the following option afterwards, so don't fret too much if your option loses out.

theamazingchris
Feb 1, 2016

I have mentioned a couple times that gods and demons in Paradise Killer aren't fundamentally different, which is true, but there are distinctions. They're just more differences of degree rather than kind. Gods tend to be more subtle and insidious in their influence. They don't directly take control of people.

None of this, by the way, is anything the Syndicate has a moral objection to or anything. The Gods are Gods, and they are thus worshipped and feared. Some of them are capricious, most are inscrutable, and some are helpful. But their motives are alien, and can't be counted on. But again, this isn't a problem to the Syndicate, per se. Mainly, the reason that they outlaw direct communion with the gods is due to the fact that the psychic pathways that such influence opens up are how demons get access to the island sequences.

Demons, once they get into the island, can't escape, and the damage they cause can't be mended. The Syndicate is extremely devoted to the perfection of the island sequences, and thus once a demon gets in, the only thing to do is imprison it to prevent further damage. This, by the way, is why they can't just execute Henry; it would basically only free the demon inhabiting his body to wreak havoc.

theamazingchris
Feb 1, 2016

Episode 13: K. HX's Workshop and the Opulent Ziggurat

In this episode, we explore the mountaintop, and certainly don't miss any obvious clues. Votes are currently tied 2-2! I'll be recording the next set of episodes this weekend, so get your votes in before then!

theamazingchris
Feb 1, 2016

Episode 14: One Last Kiss

Up above the island, in the graveyard of the Syndicate, a strange apparition appears to us once more, full of interesting secrets.

theamazingchris
Feb 1, 2016

resurgam40 posted:

The Opulent Ziggurat is a place I've been waiting for you to visit, because it one of the less subtle hints of the kind of society Love Dies is working to defend. When the new island was born, this is the place that the Citizens were gathered, all 1000+ of them (except Henry), and were killed to create the energy needed for the next, supposedly more perfect, paradise. This has been done 25 times in pursuit of greater beauty and power fort the Syndicate. It is a repeated atrocity committed with an unknown (and probably forgotten) number of people, and our main character, our alleged heroine... has nothing to say. No half hearted apologist defense of such measures, no fervent exultation, no shame, no pride, and no horror- it is not germane to her investigation, so she moves right along, even having a completely unrelated conversation with Shinji. It's been a fact of life for a myriad, so she doesn't react to it at all- just break out more blood to get those collectibles, there's a ghost to talk to.

It's one of the better "banality of evil" moments I remember beiung in videogames, completely uncommented on. Heck, even Tyler talked about the too-big golden door first :v:

Well put. Hundreds died the night of the murders. Whose deaths are considered a crime?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theamazingchris
Feb 1, 2016

Hi! Sorry about the necro only to give bad news. Obviously, this LP is pretty much dead in the water, and it's my own fault. I managed to lose my backup saves and also record a bunch of content that has corrupted audio and/or missing video. These stupid errors compounded on each other in a way that is genuinely catastrophic. At this point, recovery would involve literally replaying the whole dang game based on my videos to return up to where I was. Since I really, really didn't want to do that, I more or less abandoned this for, let's see here, 6 months?

I'm mostly posting this to say, I have begun the process of restarting. It is the very definition of Not Fun so I am taking it slow. Don't wait with bated breath for this LP's triumphant return, but return it will.