Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SerCypher
May 10, 2006

Gay baby jail...? What the hell?

I really don't like the sound of that...
Fun Shoe
Hello everyone, you should read the water margin, and talk about it with us

What is the Water Margin
The Water Margin (Also known as Outlaws of the Marsh, and All Men are Brothers) is a 14th-15th century Chinese novel, set in the early 11th Century. It tells the stories of a number of outlaws, who through various circumstances, band together to fight against (and eventually for) the Song Dynasty.

Why you should read the Water Margin
The Water Margin is written in vernacular Chinese (rare for the period) and has a strikingly modern style. All of the characters have extremely interesting circumstances, and many of their struggles are political commentary against the rigid nature of Chinese society of the time. Many have gone on to be iconic in Chinese pop culture, similar to those from Romance of the Three Kingdoms, or Journey to the West.

Beyond the plot and historical interest, its also really really funny.

Who are these dorks
I (Natalie) am reading this alongside my cohost and fellow forums member Cherrie. I am reading this in English while she is reading it in the original Chinese. Each chapter we produce a podcast episode, where we discuss the plot, and go over cultural and historical things that may not be clear to a modern audience.

We try to have fun with it.

Why did you make this thread
We started reading and making episodes for this a few months ago, but it turns out most of the listeners are goons. So I thought this might be a fun place to discuss the story. We are currently on the 4th chapter, but since there are 96 more to go, there is plenty of time to start reading it!

Which Translation?
While there are many translations of the book available, we are going with the one done by Sidney Shapiro, who moved to China in the 1940s, and became a naturalized citizen in the PRC. He is an interesting character in his own right, and his translation has a certain down to earth character that we think fits well with the original. His copies are usually titled 'Outlaws in the Marsh'

Chapters
Audio Commentary for All Current Chapters - https://www.withchinesecharacteristics.com/water-margins

Chapter 1: "Zhang the Divine Teacher Prays to Dispel a Plague, Marshal Hong Releases Demons by Mistake"
Chapter 2: "Arms Instructor Wang Goes Secretly to Yanan Prefecture, Nine Dragins Shi Jin Wreaks Havoc in Shi Family Village"
Chapter 3: "Master Shi Leaves Huayin County at Night, Major Lu Pummels the Lord of the West"
Ch 4: Sagacious Lu Puts Mount Wutai in an Uproar, Squire Zhao Repairs Wenshu Monastey
Ch 5: Nine Dragons Shi Jin Robs in Red Pine Forest; Sagacious Lu Burns down Waguan Monastery
Ch 6: The Tattooed Monk Uproots a Willow Tree; Lin Chong enters the White Tiger Inner Sanctum by Mistake

SerCypher fucked around with this message at 08:23 on Feb 1, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kangxi
Nov 12, 2016

"Too paranoid for you?"
"Not me, paranoia's the garlic in life's kitchen, right, you can never have too much."
Oh this is very exciting. This is one of the four major classics I haven't gotten to reading, and I'm very interested to see where this goes.

Fake edit: Any reason why you went for the Shapiro translation? I'm not as familiar with the differences and why.

Kangxi fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Dec 8, 2022

SerCypher
May 10, 2006

Fun Shoe

Kangxi posted:

Oh this is very exciting. This is one of the four major classics I haven't gotten to reading, and I'm very interested to see where this goes.

Spoilers but its going to go to Mount Liang.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

I always wanted to read this!

SerCypher
May 10, 2006

Fun Shoe
Chapter 5: Sagacious Lu Attends a Wedding

Official Chapter Title:
Drunk, the Little King Raises the Gold−Spangled Bed Curtains;
Lu the Tattooed Monk Throws Peach Blossom Village into Confusion

Listen:
https://www.buzzsprout.com/1348048/11916507

Stars of Destiny:
Lu Zhishen (Sagacious Lu)
Tiger−Fighting General Li Zhong
Little Conqueror Zhou Tong

In this chapter we continue the Journey of Sagacious Lu and his antics.

If you need an image of what Sagacious Lu looks like, here is a good illustration. Just a massive hairy fat rear end dude. A real walrus of a man.

[

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

cool book but im not going to listen to your podcast

SerCypher
May 10, 2006

Fun Shoe

A human heart posted:

cool book but im not going to listen to your podcast

No worries! Just thought it might be fun to talk about with people.

Edit: I have done a bunch of LPs in the past,so I just kind of considered this as a book version. If its against the forum rules or something I can ask for the thread to be deleted.

SerCypher fucked around with this message at 05:21 on Dec 23, 2022

thetedster
Jan 31, 2007

SerCypher posted:

No worries! Just thought it might be fun to talk about with people.

Edit: I have done a bunch of LPs in the past,so I just kind of considered this as a book version. If its against the forum rules or something I can ask for the thread to be deleted.

I started reading this book because of this thread, and have found it quite entertaining. I like the extra context y’all provide in the podcast. Hope you keep it up!

SerCypher
May 10, 2006

Fun Shoe

thetedster posted:

I started reading this book because of this thread, and have found it quite entertaining. I like the extra context y’all provide in the podcast. Hope you keep it up!

Thanks!! Are you also reading the Shapiro translation?

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Two chapters in and I'm really enjoying the commentary. And the duck football facts.

feizhouxiongdi2
Oct 9, 2019

anilEhilated posted:

Two chapters in and I'm really enjoying the commentary. And the duck football facts.

thank you! i knew that was some precious research time WELL SPENT!!

thetedster
Jan 31, 2007

SerCypher posted:

Thanks!! Are you also reading the Shapiro translation?

Yep, and although the edition I have is riddled with typos (or poor OCR), the translation makes the story feel like something that could have been written recently much less 700 years ago.

SerCypher
May 10, 2006

Fun Shoe
Chapter 6: Sagacious Lu Burns down a Monastery

Official Chapter Title:
Nine Dragons Shi Jin Robs in Red Pine Forest; Sagacious Lu Burns down Waguan Monastery

Listen:
https://www.buzzsprout.com/1348048/11976256

Stars of Destiny:
Lu Zhishen (Sagacious Lu)
9 Dragons Shi Jin

Synopsis:
In this episode Sagacious Lu visits a monastery, and meet up with some old friends. There are also some slight disagreements he has with a Daoist Priest and a Buddhist Monk.

By the end of the Chapter he finally reaches the great Xiangguo monastery and is put in an important position there.

Other Topics Discussed:
Division of Buddhist Monks (Clear vs Listening)
Kitchen Gods
The Commentaries of 金圣叹
Being a Man of Valor as opposed to just a person who knows how to fight.

References:
Paper on the Monk System in the Ming and Qing Dynasties
http://rdbk1.ynlib.cn:6251/qw/Paper/635647

Commentaries by 金圣叹
http://www.guoxue123.com/xiaosuo/jd/jpshz/index.htm

If anyone is curious about other items brought up in the text, please let me know. A listener from the forums suggested the commentaries of 金圣叹, so we (well Cherrie) have started perusing those as well.

Someone asked what the definition of a bowl is, or a large bowl, given Lu Zhishen's crazy drinking (10-30 bowls at a time). That one is a bit of a tough question as it's not really a standardized measurement, and is probably closest to something like "a glass of wine". I'd assume about 4-8 oz. Chinese wine during this period (黃酒) is very strong though (close to 20%) so it's a lot of booze!

SerCypher fucked around with this message at 08:08 on Feb 1, 2023

Kefahuchi_son!!!
Apr 23, 2015
Just want to say that i loved the book since i read it a few years ago (also the Shapiro version), and the pod has been great!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SerCypher
May 10, 2006

Fun Shoe
Chapter 7: Making sport of a respectable woman in times of peace and order

Official Chapter Title:
The Tattooed Monk Uproots a Willow Tree; Lin Chong enters the White Tiger Inner Sanctum by Mistake

Listen:
https://www.buzzsprout.com/1348048/12142941

Stars of Destiny:
Lin Chong
Sagacious Lu (Lu Zhishen)

Synopsis:
In this chapter Sagacious Lu continues his esteemed position as master of the vegetable gardens, and finds a new sworn brother, Lin Chong.

Unfortunately Lin Chong has a hot wife and a lecherous boss, which is a recipe for disaster in Song Dynasty China.

Other Topics Discussed:
Sworn Brotherhood
Crows
What being a virtuous wife means in the time period.
Elaborate plots to frame people
Is it physically possible to rip a large tree out of the ground with your hands.

References:
Research paper on sworn brotherhood
https://pages.ucsd.edu/~dkjordan/scriptorium/jyebay.html

Commentaries by 金圣叹
http://www.guoxue123.com/xiaosuo/jd/jpshz/index.htm

I feel like more than some others, this chapter has some good social commentary criticizing the Chinese Government system (the book was banned off and on again historically). Lin Chong is a guy who has done well in society through martial prowess, and is theoretically the kind of guy you want in your military, but he lacks true access to power.

Gao's son has much stronger social connections, so despite all of Lin's achievements, he's driven out, like Wang Jin was in chapter 2.

Overall warriors and soldiers were not valued highly by many dynasties, and the militaries would start to be staffed with sycophants rather than anyone actually competent.

SerCypher fucked around with this message at 08:21 on Feb 1, 2023