Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

fart simpson posted:

what happened to the phoenix suns? they were the top team in the west like a month ago amd now theyre trash garbage?

Astronaut holding a gun to the other astronaut, etc etc

Jack's Flow posted:

He actually was one of my favorite players in the league before everything came tumbling down. He used to be able to just walk into 18 points ever night without having the ability to shoot though. That part of his game seems to be gone? Maybe it’ll come back? He’s still an amazing defender and facilitator.

Maybe it's gone, but the Net's offense is also fundamentally different so part of it is not needing to get him involved. He still can score 15-20 but it might be argued the team is better when he doesn't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Telluric Whistler posted:

Maybe overstating it a little, but he's becoming like a perimeter, point Ben Wallace.

He's a very unique player, and I honestly don't know how you really define his value in a vacuum at this point.
Yeah, I feel like a guy like him works great but only in specific situations, and Brooklyn with KD and Kyrie both there to easily shoulder the offense is one that a lot of people were calling the perfect fit for him from the start.

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!
Wolves back up to 9th in the west and a game and a half from avoiding the play in. Which means it's about time to poo poo the bed against the Pistons.

It's been very interesting that the new guys (particularly Rivers) have been pushing the "Ant's team" narrative hard and, vaguetweeting aside, I'm curious how KAT's going to handle that on his return. Also if he's noticed how effective Anderson's been with Gobert simply by getting him the ball how/when/where he expects it, rather than the performative inclusion KAT opened the season with.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
I dunno KAT was moving the ball an awful lot when he was in, I think that was a pretty important part while they were starting out and why they looked so bad when he first went out. The starting/crunch lineups were pretty good, they just fell apart when they tried to get offense going elsewhere.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
Yeah, iirc, KAT was the only guy who would pass to Gobert for the longest time.

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!
I recognize it's totally just vibes but Slo-mo feeding Gobert has felt different than KAT doing it at the start of the year. More, I guess, like Rudy has known the pass is coming, where it'll be, and immediately what to do with it.

His more exciting moments with KAT have been promising and improvisational (which also feels Finchier) but I don't know where his simple feeds come from with KAT, Ant, Jaden, and DLo on the floor - that's not their games. Finch has talked about it taking 50+ games for teammates to get used to lobbing to Dwight in Houston, so if that crew can hurry oop over the learning curve that would alleviate a lot of concerns. Otherwise, Rudy'll just need to hang on til his minutes with the more fundamentally functional bench guys.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Paracaidas posted:

I recognize it's totally just vibes but Slo-mo feeding Gobert has felt different than KAT doing it at the start of the year. More, I guess, like Rudy has known the pass is coming, where it'll be, and immediately what to do with it.

His more exciting moments with KAT have been promising and improvisational (which also feels Finchier) but I don't know where his simple feeds come from with KAT, Ant, Jaden, and DLo on the floor - that's not their games. Finch has talked about it taking 50+ games for teammates to get used to lobbing to Dwight in Houston, so if that crew can hurry oop over the learning curve that would alleviate a lot of concerns. Otherwise, Rudy'll just need to hang on til his minutes with the more fundamentally functional bench guys.

I was pretty surprised Slo-Mo/Rudy wasn’t a more successful combo out of the gate, interesting to hear they’re picking up

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Paracaidas posted:

You're right in Anderson has been great with Gobert, and I think you use that to adjust your lineups, especially the not-starting lineups. But I don't know that KAT can't also keep this up, or at least what you lose gets outweighed by what KAT brings to the table.

End of the day, it's gotta be up to the guards to make sure it's not just a constant game of "My Turn".

DeimosRising posted:

I was pretty surprised Slo-Mo/Rudy wasn’t a more successful combo out of the gate, interesting to hear they’re picking up

Anderson isn't a very good outside shooter, so the idea was you always pair Rudy with someone who can shoot at the 4. I think they over-emphasized spacing though.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
My agenda lives:

https://twitter.com/mshap2/status/1612309998414987265?s=20&t=RHssfUx83IzzpqH7iFFRXg

Red Rox
Aug 24, 2004

Motel Midnight off the hook
lol the Clippers have totally lost the plot. What a waste of talent. Their biggest crime is that they’re just so loving BORING - even when they were winning.

Their only entertaining players are John Wall, who they shouldn’t play, and T Mann, who they barely play.

Kawhi has always been a robot, but this season he’s been more C3-P0 than the Terminator.

Kennard has been a sniper from 3 but he looks and acts like an accountant.

Everybody point and laugh at the Clippers.

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

Red Rox posted:

lol the Clippers have totally lost the plot. What a waste of talent. Their biggest crime is that they’re just so loving BORING - even when they were winning.

Their only entertaining players are John Wall, who they shouldn’t play, and T Mann, who they barely play.

Kawhi has always been a robot, but this season he’s been more C3-P0 than the Terminator.

Such a failure. Kawhi knew his body was done and got a great payday to chill out

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Dejan Bimble posted:

Autism that doesnt render you incapable of living an adult life is much more of a mouthful, and they are such different things in practice that aspergers to me is a much more useful term

Its like getting rid of the word ice because the guy who named ice was a pedophile. And we have to call it that kind of water that’s just like one piece and it doesn’t fill vessels. Too many words!

That is a lot of people with autism though. The original distinction between the two was poorly defined and we know a lot more about autism so it really doesn’t make sense to keep using. Plus all the gobbledygook pop culture interpretation of it I think is more of a hindrance than a mouthful of words

Just say high functioning if you want something easy to say

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

WhyteRyce posted:

That is a lot of people with autism though. The original distinction between the two was poorly defined and we know a lot more about autism so it really doesn’t make sense to keep using. Plus all the gobbledygook pop culture interpretation of it I think is more of a hindrance than a mouthful of words

Just say high functioning if you want something easy to say

I'll take it. Obviously I'm just following my fiancé's lead as i had no opinion on the matter before I met her.

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

Red Rox posted:

I would not have predicting before the season that they'd be 28th in ORTG. 28th! The game against Denver was an extreme case, but holy god that offense did No Thing. Denver isn't an impossible team to get open shots against, but everyone just took turns doing one-on-one moves into contested long twos.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
I mean, if Ice had that problem, I think "solid water" or "frozen water" makes a lot more sense than that mouthful.

Which, I guess the high functioning is about as concise.

What's more fascinating about the revelation is the shared appreciation of Apple time. Dangerously so, in Rose's case.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
Trade Kawahi to Portland for the 4 unprotected 1sts. Dude might be worth it for a playoff run and if not at least they gave Lillard a fighter's chance.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Kawhi or PG13 on Portland would probably make them a contender (unless Kawhi is really cooked I guess).

bornbytheriver
Apr 23, 2010

bornbytheriver
Apr 23, 2010

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Kevin Durant To Miss At Least Two Weeks With MCL Sprain
https://www.hoopsrumors.com/2023/01/kevin-durant-to-miss-at-least-two-weeks-with-mcl-sprain.html

Anthony Davis Could Return In A Couple Weeks
https://www.hoopsrumors.com/2023/01/anthony-davis-could-return-in-a-couple-weeks.html

De’Aaron Fox furious after LeBron James scores 37 in Lakers’ controversial win over Kings
https://www.yahoo.com/news/aaron-fox-furious-lebron-james-160602263.html

"Fox had words with an official and threw his arm sleeve to the floor in disgust after missing a 3-pointer as time expired in a 136-134 loss..."

"Thought we were suppose to let the players decide the game..." Fox said.

Blind Pineapple
Oct 27, 2010

For The Perfect Fruit 'n' Kaman

1 part gin
1 part pomegranate syrup
Fill with pineapple juice
Serve over crushed ice

College Slice

Seeing how these two are panning out, it makes it all the more puzzling why they paid John Wall to stay at home last year. Their most "inspiring" stretches last year were when Dennis freakin' Schroeder was at the point. He wasn't good by any means, but he understood the basic functions of being an NBA point.

If this group is going to have any chance, the entire coaching staff needs to be overhauled this offseason. Paul Silas dying has probably brought Stephen a couple extra months, but after blowing a 20 point lead to a mediocre Wolves team (minus KAT) by failing to make any second half adjustments when Minnesota closed the gap, he should be gone now. This has been another common recurrence under his tenure--Even in the rare event the team does come out strong, the other team will make an adjustment, and the Rockets will be clueless how to handle it, usually turning a double digit lead into a double digit loss. There was a game earlier this season where the Mavs went to a zone in the third quarter and the Rockets scored like 10 points the rest of the way. I have to imagine games like that take the biggest chunks out of the team morale/individual confidence and no one on the team or coaching staff has the leadership or direction to steady the ship.

bornbytheriver
Apr 23, 2010

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

good lord i cant wait to see how bad hero mode kyrie is these next 2 weeks

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

well.. i hope hes back by the 6ers game on the 25th..

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

R.D. Mangles posted:

i want jim boylen captured and compromised to a permanent end

Send Jim Boylen to a penitentiary for ten years. Then I may forgive him.

Red Rox posted:

He does appear cooked. A .13 WS/48 is far from The Terminator.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

this is insane just loving nuts

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

A 2023 NBA reset: 5 bold predictions, starring Luka Doncic, Nikola Jokic and a loaded MVP race
https://sports.yahoo.com/a-2023-nba-reset-5-bold-predictions-starring-luka-doncic-nikola-jokic-and-a-loaded-mvp-race-194320851.html

The problem with the Nuggets is that they have nearly the worst D in the entire league.

NBA Fact or Fiction: Nikola Jokic's chances of an MVP three-peat
https://sports.yahoo.com/nba-fact-or-fiction-denver-nuggets-nikola-jokic-chances-mvp-three-peat-163712958.html

fart simpson posted:

what happened to the phoenix suns? they were the top team in the west like a month ago amd now theyre trash garbage?

Luka embarrassed them so badly (and was laughing at them) in that last playoff game and they have never recovered.

bornbytheriver
Apr 23, 2010

bornbytheriver
Apr 23, 2010

Aye Doc posted:

good lord i cant wait to see how bad hero mode kyrie is these next 2 weeks

against miami yesterday, kyrie was amazing after kd exited the game. he is the reason they won that game.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Red Rox posted:

Last year it felt like if Kawhi or PG or both were out it didn't matter they just would still scrap their way to near 500 ball. But this year the team just doesn't have the same fight as corny as that is to say. It could also just be age and injuries and scouting reports finally catching up to them.

verbal enema posted:

He's immortal.

bornbytheriver
Apr 23, 2010

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

I'm his age and I literally spent 4 months this year deal with knee pain and rehab because I exacerbated something while spending 3 weeks moving houses

WhyteRyce fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Jan 10, 2023

Boredumb
Mar 10, 2005

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

verbal enema posted:

I keep watching it. How loving fast are his hands moving during the dunk motion

:allbuttons:

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Why is he still the best fast-break player alive

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

WhyteRyce posted:

I'm his age and I literally spent 4 months this year deal with knee pain and rehab because I exacerbated something while spending 3 weeks moving houses

I'm his age and I'm in pretty good shape and I pulled a hamstring watching that clip

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"
im older than him and in better shape, i could 1on1 him np after i finish fist fighting a polar bear

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

mdemone posted:

I'm his age and I'm in pretty good shape and I pulled a hamstring watching that clip

He watched it too and he's out tonight