Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Alright lads and lasses and anyone who doesn't identify as either, we made it through the hell of No Football For Two Days (apart from FA Cup Second Round Replays, Women's Champions League and probably some other stuff) and arrived at the promised land of the Quarter-Finals.

All the bad teams like Spain and Germany are gone, now it's down to the elite of world football. Morocco are going to bring football home to the Atlas mountains and there's nothing any of us can do about it.

Today's games:

Croatia vs. Brazil 15:00

Croatia have been unspectacular thus far but one word that people keep using to describe their performances is "control." They're certainly going to need it against a Brazil side that smashed the ever-loving gently caress out of Kim, Kim, Kim, Kim, Kim & Son PLC in the round of 16. Can Luka "Mackenzie Crook" Modric lead his team into another semi-final, or will the Joga Bonito boys samba their way through to the next round?

Netherlands vs. Argentina 19:00

Gakpo is coming. Who is Gakpo? One of the top scorers in the tournament so far, and a likely source of pain for a fairly patchy Argentina defence. But where there's Messi, there's hope. Alternatively, the midget magician will bomb and fail and fail and bomb and we'll all do some hearty lols. Either way this should be a fun game.

The winners of these two games meet each other in the semi-final on Tuesday.

We're back, baby!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

go morocco. I don't think I like any of the teams left on this side

britishbornandbread
Jul 8, 2000

You'll stumble in my footsteps
Fully expect Brazil to steamroll an underwhelming Croatia side, and Argentina v Netherlands is a toss up. Furious to be missing the latter as I am at my work Christmas do. It might be phone watching for me.

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
All these teams will end up losing to England but it would be funny for croatia to shitbag their way past brazil

don't mind either team winning in the other game

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;
Can you imagine the scenes of a Brazil v Argentina semi final for this World Cup? You’ll have too, Netherlands v Croatia is gonna be a tactically measured, spectacularly dull, under 2 goals and 14 yellows slugfest of a game.

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí
i want croatia to win, but i also want the braarg semi final

im so conflicted!!!

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

Brazil v Argentina semi would be loving sick. Netherlands and Croatia have just been poo poo so it wouldn't even be that funny if they went through. Also Netherlands losing will reduce the fee arsenal will pay for gakpo in January :henget:

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Loving Africa Chaps posted:

Brazil v Argentina semi would be loving sick. Netherlands and Croatia have just been poo poo so it wouldn't even be that funny if they went through. Also Netherlands losing will reduce the fee arsenal will pay for gakpo in January :henget:

Would've thought an arsenal supporter would be more wary of an overhyped winger just because of a good world cup

Doctor Malaver
May 23, 2007

Ce qui s'est passé t'a rendu plus fort
I don't expect Netherlands-Argentina to be a fun game, quite the opposite. And I don't expect Brazil to steamroll Croatia. Samba blah blah... yeah no, they'll be careful.

Tortilla Maker
Dec 13, 2005
Un Desmadre A Toda Madre
Fully expect Brazil to cruise into a victory.

The shithousery that Argentina will put on will make that game spicy. No era penal and all that aside, want the Netherlands to win.

Kanthulhu
Apr 8, 2009
NO ONE SPOIL GAME OF THRONES FOR ME!

IF SOMEONE TELLS ME THAT OBERYN MARTELL AND THE MOUNTAIN DIE THIS SEASON, I'M GOING TO BE PISSED.

BUT NOT HALF AS PISSED AS I'D BE IF SOMEONE WERE TO SPOIL VARYS KILLING A LANISTER!!!

(Dany shits in a field)
Supporting BraArg today.
Euro teams are boring

Aggro
Apr 24, 2003

STRONG as an OX and TWICE as SMART
I am sure that the families of all of the match officials are fine and are in no danger whatsoever.

As long as the winners today are Brazil and Argentina. Any other outcome is haram.

Weaponized Cum
Aug 31, 2004

This post brought to you by the finest Miami cocaine money can buy ----->
Let's loving goooo

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

Just workshopping but does ARGie BRAgie work or not

de curry GOAT
Oct 23, 2005

Croatia are in trouble

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
thank god football is back

expecting Brazil and Argentina to win today just because it will set up quite the semifinal

TDepressionEarl
Oct 28, 2010

I'm trying to win the World Cup
but I'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps playing Argentina onside

Crobra and Nedarg are good names for new animals. Is anybody finding new snakes or large rodents to feed to snakes.

I also expect the South American teams to win but would be fine if either European team goes. I think anybody on this side of the bracket will get beat by France but Richarlison has charmed me by seeming to do everything Neymar does but better, including efficient diving to win the whistle.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

vyelkin posted:

thank god football is back

expecting Brazil and Argentina to win today just because it will set up quite the semifinal

England-Portugal would be good too imo, more interesting recent history (in terms of football) than the combinations involving France or Morocco.

Then all the potential finals are fun too. Brazil-Portugal colonial fight, Argentina-Portugal GOAT Showdown, Argentina-England Falklands/1986/1998/2002, Brazil-England 2002 and probably some other stuff I'm forgetting. That Banks save, idk.

Phwoar

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
personally I think Morocco playing and defeating all three of their colonizers in a row would own: first Spain, now Portugal, and then potentially France in the semis. And then they can play whoever in the final and win and bring the Jules Rimet trophy home to Casablanca.

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
The deconquista

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Go home Argentina and Brazil, gently caress offffff outta here.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
Getting ready

https://twitter.com/DonaLuciaHexa/status/1600083292534886400

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

vyelkin posted:

personally I think Morocco playing and defeating all three of their colonizers in a row would own: first Spain, now Portugal, and then potentially France in the semis. And then they can play whoever in the final and win and bring the Jules Rimet trophy home to Casablanca.

it hasn't been the Jules Rimet since '74 mate

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

NinpoEspiritoSanto posted:

it hasn't been the Jules Rimet since '74 mate

aw what the hell

HappyCamperGL
May 18, 2014

sebzilla posted:

Morocco are going to bring football home to the Atlas mountains and there's nothing any of us can do about it.

Why would anyone want to do anything about it:confused:

Mainwaring
Jun 22, 2007

Disco is not dead! Disco is LIFE!

Can you imagine what Ronald will do if Portugal make the final and he's on the bench?

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet

Mainwaring posted:

Can you imagine what Ronald will do if Portugal make the final and he's on the bench?

I'd rather not because I'm pretty sure it involves a hotel housekeeper.

Total Meatlove posted:

Just workshopping but does ARGie BRAgie work or not

No

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

Mainwaring posted:

Madeiran independence movement.

whypick1 posted:

I'd rather not because I'm pretty sure it involves a hotel housekeeper.

No

Fair

Backdoor Delivery
Nov 15, 2004

one cool dude

2 Time TRP Sack Race Champion
ZA DOM

Omnikin
May 29, 2007

Press 'E' for Medic
Should be USA vs Argentina, but whatever. I feel another BRazil 5-0 incoming

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

Omnikin posted:

Should be USA vs Argentina, but whatever.

based on what lmao

Omnikin
May 29, 2007

Press 'E' for Medic
My fuckin' brain, alright? It's not rational

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

based on what lmao

US gets first dibs on beating Latin Americans I guess?

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

based on what lmao

based on the unique tactical innovation of forgetting the opponent's wingbacks exist

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

brazil game should be fun to watch at least. I like croatia but they look ancient and slow right now. lets have some exciting foortball

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?
i think brazil will score many goals and dance many tiktoks

chaoslord
Jan 28, 2009

Nature Abhors A Vacuum

Croatia Brazil
Referee: Michael OLIVER (ENG)
AR1: Stuart Burt (ENG)
AR2: Gary Beswick (ENG)
Fourth Official: Mustapha Ghorbal (ALG)
VAR: Pol van Boekel (NED)

I guessed an Englishman would be on this match, I just guessed the wrong one. I thought Taylor had been slightly stronger in his matches but the honor goes to Oliver. One of Oliver's ARs is injured so they had to borrow one from Taylor's trio, so from that standpoint they get to help out a little bit anyway. Ghorbal being the 4th I think is basically a send off for CAF, we are probably done with CAF referees at this tournament.

There are not a lot of words really needed about Michael Oliver. We've all seen him ref a jillion games at ths point. He's refereed two FA Cup Finals (an honor that you typically only get once in your career), the UEFA Super Cup, and in the Champions League he sent off Gigi Buffon that one time, which we also all probably remember.

Pol van Boekel is an interesting name to see around. He sent down the penalty in Poland Argentina for the punch on Messi. I thought his goose was cooked at the time and we wouldn't see him anymore, but either a) FIFA agrees with the send down, b) He's too important from a VAR side standpoint to get rid of, or c) both.

Previous games at this world cup for Oliver: Japan 0 Costa Rica 1 (6 yellow cards) and Saudi Arabia 1 Mexico 2 (7 yellow cards)

Netherlands Argentina
Referee: Antonio MATEU LAHOZ (ESP)
AR1: Pau Cebrian Devis (ESP)
AR2: Roberto Diaz Perez Del Palomar (ESP)
Fourth Official: Victor Gomes (RSA)
VAR: Alejandro José Hernandez Hernandez (ESP)

I thought Orsato was a candidate for the final and since he hadn't worked in weeks that he would need a quarter final. This was the other name I debated and I ended up being wrong on the coin flip. I think Antonio Mateu Lahoz may view this as an audition for the final. If he has an excellent game then Collina will have a lot to think about. I think Mateu Lahoz is probably one of the non-English refs that the board is most familiar with. He has a very unique flair to his matches - he tends to let a lot of little fouls go, fouls that I know in games I could not get away without calling, but is able to do so because the players know him, trust him, and expect he will get the big things right. And he usually does. His personality irks some at times (Mourinho was usually pissed off to by him, for example), but for me he is the best referee here. I hope this comment does not come back to bite me.

https://twitter.com/jdnalton/status/1398736474552651776

Previous games in the world cup:
Denmark 1 Australia 1, 2 yellows, 1 PK
Iceland 1 Croatia 2, 5 yellows, 1 PK

Qatar 1 Senegal 3, 6 yellows
Iran 0 USA 1, 4 yellows

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Mateu Lahoz should referee all the matches

scourgeofthe7bees
Jun 21, 2008

the last 2 days have been grim. so thankful for these games today