Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

speng31b
May 8, 2010

what if there was an actionable threat megathread

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

speng31b
May 8, 2010

F Stop Fitzgerald posted:

it was the musk thread, who cares what they want

did that one guy in the Musk thread ever stop going off about how H1B workers were class traitors or whatever

speng31b
May 8, 2010

Weka posted:

Scrolling through the musk thread from the post Majorian linked to CBO's second probe I counted 4 or 5 people saying they didn't want them posting about that, which is about one per page. There were far more people engaging with the topic. Is that the metric for when you can't post about something?

what did those tweets cbo posted by GG have to do with musk tho other than being tweets? does the musk thread care?

secondary topic what even is going on with the musk thread. almost every page is filled with low effort unjokey posts about killing elon musk, which is fairly cringe. mods just swoop in occasionally and hand out probes but that thread seems like it is long overdue for an ik that will try to make it even vaguely different from its GBS counterpart, or if it's just gonna be a secondary GBS thread close it

speng31b
May 8, 2010

Jazerus posted:

other than the suicide stuff

:chloe:

speng31b
May 8, 2010

Jazerus posted:

what can i say, i'm capable of basic separation of a behavior by a small group of posters from an evaluation of the thread as a whole. historically a rare skill for a cspam mod, i know

im not asking you to separate your mind into boxes, just either put an ik in charge who will do it or start handing out more probes to people who make unfunny posts about the death or murder of elon musk. that would improve the quality of the thread. if there's a funny post about killing elon musk you can even leave it alone! crazy I know, just get ahead of psychotic behavior for once

speng31b
May 8, 2010

docbeard posted:

CBO's 'gimmick', to the extent he has one, is saying enraging-but-technically-accurate things (and really mostly just enraging to libs), and that's the sort of posting CSPAM was actually made for, not something that should be stamped out.

if that's working well enough to enrage the mods into probing him in the musk thread of all places is that just the system working as intended

speng31b
May 8, 2010

Jazerus posted:

report the posts

ok

speng31b
May 8, 2010

ScrubLeague posted:

I think it should be acceptable to wish death upon rich and powerful people who are making the lives of everyone else worse, as long as those wishes don't include threats or calls to action.

If you can make it funny or interesting and not descend into psycho parroting deathlust I agree. if people just want to post over and over about how they wish the worst people they know would die or kill themselves, or celebrate it when they do, all with zero humor there are other subs for that

speng31b
May 8, 2010

500 good dogs posted:

who cares if it's funny, none of the other posts are funny but they're not being probed

being unfunny isn't against the rules, bloodlusting is. if you can do a funny bloodlust you get a pass.

speng31b
May 8, 2010

mawarannahr posted:

we even had an afghan and a maltese.

please tell me you didn't brick them

speng31b
May 8, 2010

docbeard posted:

If you can think of a better way to discredit the thread I have decided is MY HATED AND SWORN ENEMY THAT HAUNTS MY DREAMS AT NIGHT for completely rational and sane reasons, I would like to hear it.

the best way to discredit a thread is to post in it

speng31b
May 8, 2010

Zodium posted:

we should kill them

theres a thread for that now

speng31b
May 8, 2010

ive got some bad news, or maybe good news, and its that all threads are both chat threads and cause mental illness. we can now all agree that cspam must close at midnight

speng31b
May 8, 2010

The Pussy Boss posted:

I don't think the climate change thread is insular at all, and I don't understand why anyone has a problem with it.

I've never read it, but i can tell you right now i hate it and have strong opinions about the people who post in it

speng31b
May 8, 2010

HashtagGirlboss posted:

Have you ever known somebody who has bad discipline with their dogs? And you go into their house and it smells terrible but they don’t even realize it stinks because they’re accustomed to it?

i think the mods are doing a pretty decent job of balancing this lately. gotta walk a fine line where the people handing out punishments understand what the thread's vibe is, but also don't get so caught up in deflecting outside criticism that really wild stuff snowballs. never gonna be to everyone's liking

speng31b
May 8, 2010

Cuttlefush posted:

probations should only be used to immortalize funny, good, or hilarious bad posts people make

idk how mods dont know this

would be interesting to try that out in earnest for a little while, but it's certainly not the current approach.

speng31b
May 8, 2010

no thread is actually as bad as the parody of its worst moments, but those moments sure are funny

speng31b
May 8, 2010

Jazerus posted:

well basically it started off as a fun protest-watching thread and then it turned into a daily referendum on the ethics of anarchist autonomous zones, basically this every day

and then it kept sliding downhill from there

wow

speng31b
May 8, 2010

some plague rats posted:

also some self-appointed security guards shot two kids for the crime of driving while black and the posters celebrated their accuracy and noted stupid piece of poo poo Elise the Great, a "black bloc antifa street medic" wrote a bunch of posts explaining that they were correct to immediately hose some 15 year olds with bullets and then cover it up because maybe they were in a gang??? They might have been about to do a drive-by!!

o_O

O_O

speng31b
May 8, 2010

some plague rats posted:

Lol again at everyone trying to own me by writing loving limericks?? before I got thread banned with this probe

Between that thread and the cool zone crusty nutsack should have been launched into the loving sun

lazy nerds used thread banned twice in a limerick about thread banning you

speng31b
May 8, 2010

some plague rats posted:

Dustcat do you realize "black bloc" isn't referring to their race

I looked these guys up and found a bunch of articles about how notoriously white they were and how much trouble they caused for black people by cosplaying revolutionary

speng31b
May 8, 2010

Jazerus posted:

good job re-enacting exactly why the cool zone sucked because it was just this every day

never got to see that thread so it's good to know it was pretty much as expected

speng31b
May 8, 2010

kinda puts the drama this sub gets nowadays into perspective huh

speng31b
May 8, 2010

Majorian posted:

\/\/\/admins, name change please?\/\/\/

cringe

speng31b
May 8, 2010

thread topics shouldnt be enforced unless it's a main character situation, and then only enforced to mock whoever is being the main character

speng31b
May 8, 2010

AnimeIsTrash posted:

the new topic should be how were going to kill u

you dont hve the juice for it

speng31b
May 8, 2010

adding "the concept of children" to my list of topics that peopel can talk about very normally here along with "age gap discourse" and "comparing and contrasting genocides"

speng31b
May 8, 2010

TehSaurus posted:

I also have mixed feelings on the prohibition of death posting. so much of civilization is organized around murdering the powerless for profit that it feels a bit like :decorum: to not be able to publicly lust for the deaths of the oppressors. Like sure it would be better if the death posts were funny but so much of cspam is just unfunny wailing and gnashing of teeth and I feel like this is just a different flavor of that?

I do understand the history and all that though and I’d rather have cspam without death posting than no cspam so maybe better things aren’t possible.

imo, the "you can do it if it's funny" rule is to prevent the Ashli Babbitt effect -- basically what happens when it's socially acceptable for liberals to post the most deranged takes they can think of on a topic, it escalates into really unhinged and unfunny stuff pretty easily.

It's not about defending billionaires or even stopping people from posting about horrible things happening to them. It's just about putting the absolute minimal effort at humor into it, to avoid it turning into just pages of people posting about graphic death and suicide, which pretty quickly becomes posting about the graphic death and suicide of anyone liberals are mad at for related reasons.

speng31b has issued a correction as of 15:24 on Dec 14, 2022

speng31b
May 8, 2010

comedyblissoption posted:

i was reminded of a conversation we had in the succ zone

there were a lot of people sympathetic to the idea that maybe it's disingenuous to call taibbi rightwing and taibbi dialectics should be considered more fully. no frantic slapping of the report button and calls for bans.

i presented this case to the new landscape of the musk thread. being as nice as possible [i.e. boring], citing over a decades long support of sanders, support for specific policies such as medicare for all, essays about tying the censorship directly to the billionaire privatization of the commons and war propaganda. people were deeply upset that someone would dare suggest this.

idk where im going with this but i hope this helps for feedback

i think you should just be proud of having achieved perfect glennbrain. you can post correct things people get disproportionately mad about because they've already decided what "side" you are on, and even the mods are mad at you for it

tbh i figured this was your intention

speng31b
May 8, 2010

TehSaurus posted:

I agree with everything written here. Except for maybe the premise. We’ve carved out a special exception for death posting instead of just probing people for bad posting. I think this is important as if we probed people for being unfunny then like why is my account in good standing? What would even be left of the forum? So we need exceptions for posts that go beyond just being bad.

So I agree with you, but in my eyes “post better” doesn’t feel like a valid justification for this rule.

To be clear I’m not seriously lobbying for a rule change. just pointing out that it feels inconsistent to me.

there is an explicit rule against bloodlust in cspam. as it is this is enforced very loosely, which is totally fine as long as people do not get ultra weird about it (challenge - impossible)

quote:

7. Do not say that anyone, on here or off, specific or general should kill themselves. Do not say that it would be good if anyone killed themselves. Do not say that anyone should be killed. Do not lay out methods for successful suicide, even if you direct them toward hypothetical terrible people who might be reading. These types of posts can be triggering and it's not cool.

speng31b
May 8, 2010

Majorian posted:

Because if it's the former, yeah, make your own.

not gonna make a trump thread but ive been thinking of a megathread for age gap discourse and opinions about other people having kids. hope i have your blessing as a mod

speng31b
May 8, 2010

Majorian posted:

You don't need my blessing, but sure, I think that's a really interesting idea.

🙏

speng31b
May 8, 2010

AnimeIsTrash posted:

Majorian posted:

Eat poo poo.

dont post here

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

lmao what happened here

speng31b
May 8, 2010

Majorian posted:

He closed his thread to keep me from posting in it, which seems kind of dumb since I can post in closed threads.

so you gassed the thread?

speng31b
May 8, 2010

so AIT and majorian got into a slapfight, AIT gets a sixer, AIT closes the thread and majorian gasses it to one up him

god bless this forum

speng31b
May 8, 2010

no notes, cspam ftw

speng31b
May 8, 2010

if i had the power to edit probe lengths id wait until like 1 minute before someone's sixer was up then edit it to last 30m longer

speng31b
May 8, 2010

Majorian posted:

Okay, well, I'm sorry to disappoint, but here's the thing: if you're going to be a prick, gently caress you. I'm going to probe you.

i don't have any feedback on this stuff related to moderation policy but i will say that going back to when i started posting in SA actively again (i guess about a year?) you and AIT have been so openly hostile to each other in such petty ways that I wish you'd just fight or gently caress or whatever it is you need to end the bloodshed

speng31b
May 8, 2010

Majorian posted:

I honestly have no issue with AIT other than his hostility towards me. If he could chill even for just a little bit I'd ignore him.

idk man, i have no dog in this fight. im just telling you from the outside it's looked super weird and petty from both of you, and now that you're a mod you'll just get more poo poo for using your mod powers to litigate your slapfight. Take that as you will

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

speng31b
May 8, 2010

Majorian posted:

It's just as weird and petty to me, and I really don't know why it's happening, but I didn't start it. You can believe that or disbelieve that however you like, but I'm tired of it. Like I said, I don't get paid for this, so I'm just not going to put up with it anymore.

fwiw, I thought you did a pretty good job with the whole Ukraine meltdown saga and keeping things from going off the rails again. hope your experience on the forums stays positive. try not to let cspam's trademark style of low effort aggro trolling get to you too much