Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

CBO's 'gimmick', to the extent he has one, is saying enraging-but-technically-accurate things (and really mostly just enraging to libs), and that's the sort of posting CSPAM was actually made for, not something that should be stamped out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

If you can think of a better way to discredit the thread I have decided is MY HATED AND SWORN ENEMY THAT HAUNTS MY DREAMS AT NIGHT for completely rational and sane reasons, I would like to hear it.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

I should resent these completely accurate things you are saying about my posting.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

My Very Serious Feedback Post, By Me, Forums Poster Docbeard:

CSPAM is fine.

(But please reconsider sexpig by night's permaban and Majorian should maybe use a lighter touch outside the Ukraine War Apocalyptic Hellthread and certain threads should be less doom 'n' gloom and also so should the real world, that's within the scope of CSPAM moderation, right? And I don't really care for the Trump thread these days, but my whims should not carry the force of law, hahaha of course not, unless...?)

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Cuttlefush posted:

ok close cspam

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

HashtagGirlboss posted:

MajorianTaylorGree

Thrillgre

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Man, first Majorian gets run out of D&D for being too friendly to CSPAM, and now this.

Honestly, compared to, you know, most CSPAM mods previous to I guess Son of Thunderbeast, he's doing fine. Just admitting when you've made a mistake is A-Class mod material. (It'll be S-Class if he actually follows through.)

NHD has really scaled back the Main Character Syndrome posting, or at least is confining it to places I don't read, which is basically the same thing as far as I'm concerned.

Dreylad and vyelkin seem pretty cool, though I don't interact with them that much.

I'm still a bit surprised when I see that Crusty Nutsack is still a mod. I suspect she is too.

Free sexpig, free larry, double-permaban Alec Eiffel if possible, free cu-, no that's all.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

AnimeIsTrash posted:

This is something that especially you do all the time, and it's so annoying. Half of you have posted in D&D and know that breaking off a topic completely kills any attempt at a conversation about that topic. It's probably not ideal to be having a conversation about holomodor in the pictures thread but I don't get why that hurts anyone.

One of the reasons people post here instead of D&D is that you can have conversations like this without having to provide 8000 citations or be probed because you're going off topic.

My general belief is that thread topics aren't real, but I do get why a feedback thread might not be the best place for the relitigation of bad things that happened in Seattle a couple years ago. It's definitely true that "take it to a different thread" is usually a more complicated way of saying "shut up", and I always favor the more direct "shut up".

This particular topic is a little complicated because its natural home thread was not just closed but disappeared (for good reason) and there's really no thread where "Black Teens In Cars: Threat Or Menace, CHAZ Edition" would really fit right now (and I'm not sure a new thread would survive very long tbh).

Ultimately CSPAM is at its best when it's a place for mostly-unfettered conversation, even when those conversations are weird or terrible.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Is wishing that evil rich people be visited in the night by three spirits who impress upon them the necessity of changing their ways in terms so stark and terrifying that they cannot help be moved against forums rules?

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Zodium posted:

everyone cares. stop posting threads and forums that upset me

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Have you considered making the thread that is nominally about former president Donald Trump a good thread instead of an incoherent nightmare realm?

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Majorian posted:

Be honest - would you actually post in such a thread, or do you just want the current Trump thread to not exist? Because if it's the former, yeah, make your own. Call it the "non-lovely Trump thread" or whatever you think is appropriate. If it's the latter, then pretend like it doesn't exist and poof, wish granted.

Ah but have you considered that I am very lazy and easily distrac

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

And that's why you should always, always post through it.

Or why you shouldn't.

One of those.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

I have no direct insight into who gets targeted to permabans obviously but the general trend I'm seeing here from the outside suggests that Jeffrey (and others but it feels like it's mostly Jeff) is really losing patience for Getting Angry About Politics/Slapfights Between Politics Forums etc.

Which, you know, on one hand I get it, people you're nominally responsible for on some level screaming at each other 24/7 is gonna always be an uncomfortable feeling. Not that the mods are really responsible for us in any real way beyond "please don't poo poo up the forums for everyone else" (which some moderators would do well to remember/take on board/agree with me because I'm right) but still it's gotta suck.

The thing is, these are not just academic disagreements, the bad political poo poo going on in the world is affecting peoples' lives, including people on these forums, and only rarely for the better. Getting angry is a natural response and a justified response, even if directing that anger at people who are largely as powerless as you or I to affect any real change may be misguided.

I've said before that the state of the world is such that no one is okay, everyone is being ground down, and exercising a bit of extra patience and (especially) kindness toward the people around us is more necessary than ever. That certainly applies to posters who CAN'T BELIEVE WHAT THAT WEIRD rear end in a top hat SAID IN [INSERT FORUM HERE] but it also applies to moderators who CAN'T BELIEVE WHAT THAT WEIRD rear end in a top hat SAID IN [INSERT FORUM WHERE I HAVE BUTTONS HERE].

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

I unironically think SPR would be a good CSPAM mod and also that she would absolutely hate it so that's two reasons to make her CSPAM's next mod.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

AnimeIsTrash posted:

did the math and it looks like 4003% of the probes in pyf are on cspam users, and 1056% of the probes in pyf are on non cspam users

didn't calculate

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

CSPAM owes its existence to the myth of the containment zone and is thus the greatest repudiation of that myth.