Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Azathoth posted:

We don't pick someone just because they are the most prolific posters in any given thread, Jazerus for example posts in a bunch of different threads and seemed like they would do a good job so when we discussed candidates, someone brought their name up. We discussed them, along with other people and came to consensus to make an offer. During these discussions, we look at rapsheets and post histories, at least as much as we can. If someone's a prolific poster, no one's reading through 40k posts to see if they'd be a good mod.

It's the same criteria that got you picked as an IK basically. Someone thought you'd do a good job, it got discussed, no one said "wait, isn't that the poster who did <some creepy thing>" and then a star got given out.

So are new moderators still largely selected by the existing mods? Because that definitely seems like it would create self-perpetuating issues, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

There is literally no way this could backfire

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Azathoth posted:

It's the same system that selected you, so unless you consider yourself to be an insider candidate who wholeheartedly supports the existing status quo, I'd say that there is room in there for a variety of different types of people, including some you wouldn't normally expect.

We also do listen to suggestions when people say someone would be a good mod or IK.

Beyond that, at some point the system does self select, as we can only make mods or IKs out of people who think it is a good use of time to be a volunteer internet janitor for no pay and that flat out eliminates a good chunk of posters.

I was put forward by the PYF mods, who are normal, and made a good decision because I'm great, but I feel like there would be an issue when mods are being selected by the likes of flavius and crusty nutsack and squizzle, to pull names from the Bad Era? Was there ever a point where you were like okay, this well is completely poisoned? Anyway make Paul a mod

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Lessail posted:

ok i'll ask since it has been on my mind. is there a way to easily get your post history in a specific thread if you haven't posted in it lately? i've been going back pages or navigating to a thread i've recently posted in to copy my user id. i think it'd be swell if there was a "Your Posts" button if no easy functionality exists

Use the awfulapp, it's got an "admire your posts" option in every thread

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Dustcat posted:

this way everyone's satisfied, the drama goons get to own cspam, the glenn goons get to argue over free speech issues, and rats poster gets to probate people

I accept the nomination and will IK cspam with the same firm grace that has turned PYF into an oasis in a desert of dipshits

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

AnimeIsTrash posted:

mkae spr a mod and confine her to the culture warriors thread

oh nononono

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

500 good dogs posted:

lol herstory lost his star for doing the same thing but to stop a poster genuinely melting down so it's funny that if you do the same thing for a bad reason you get to keep the star

Nah I probed him for dragging immensely gay cspam drama into PYF and sending me malding PMs

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

got declined :(

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

500 good dogs posted:

post the pms

I will not breach the posters code

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU