Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Weka
May 5, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!
Scrolling through the musk thread from the post Majorian linked to CBO's second probe I counted 4 or 5 people saying they didn't want them posting about that, which is about one per page. There were far more people engaging with the topic. Is that the metric for when you can't post about something?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weka
May 5, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!

speng31b posted:

what did those tweets cbo posted by GG have to do with musk tho other than being tweets? does the musk thread care?

Related to the broader topic of twitter censorship, which it's pretty difficult to have a Musk thread without, and specifically about Matt Taibbi and his work as one of Musk's favored journos.

Weka
May 5, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!

Cuttlefush posted:

i vote for animelstrash

I know AnimeIT has previously stated they do not wish to be a mod, however, I hope they will reconsider because it will be very funny.

Weka
May 5, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!

mawarannahr posted:

The main issue right now is Majorian. NeatHeteroDude has shown a lot of growth. Maybe they could set up a kind of big brother system?

It's true that Majorian is still hitting their stride in terms of their moderation style but this is inhumane.

Weka
May 5, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!

TehSaurus posted:

I do really dislike the good/bad thread forums warrioring though so it would be cool if there was less of that. Also if we could get 10000000 hour probes for idiots from other forums hate posting in the Covid thread I would like that. Idiots from other parts of cspam are still ok though.

Broke: Good/bad thread dichotomy.
Woke: Good/bad sub-forum dichotomy.

Weka
May 5, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!

Majorian posted:

After AIT closed it yeah. I regret doing it, I could've just unlocked it.

It probably would have been a better troll.
As somebody else has mentioned, I think you are pretty quick to respond and could probably do well not to be. I also think you are perhaps a little too sensitive and could roll with the punches better.

You have been making a visible effort to improve and have historically been good about constructive criticism. The Ukraine thread has been better for your work but most threads requires the same level of moderation as that one.

Weka
May 5, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!
I hope whatever it is that's causing the stress gets better and keep up the mostly good work. Or don't. As you have correctly realized, you're not obligated to be modding constantly and the Ukraine thread has mostly calmed down so if you do need to step back it's probably best for the forum and more importantly for you.

Weka
May 5, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!
That's how the tankies get you. Anyway, Az when you read this please ungas the stewie griffin politics thread. I have a post I want to make I think.

Weka
May 5, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!

Red Minjo posted:

For a hypothetical bad actor who is intentionally making rule breaking posts, this would make the optimal posting strategy to be making sure your worst posts always additionally personally attack every mod who could possibly take action on the post. Then you get a bunch of garbage posts making GBS threads up the forums that the mods are too afraid will make them look bad for stopping.

Make this fellow a mod so I can sass them.

Weka
May 5, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!

F Stop Fitzgerald posted:

azathoth and NHD are the probably the biggest gaywads cspam has ever seen and even they have thicker skin than you. have some self-respect

You think THAT'S the worst we've got?

Weka
May 5, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!

Mr Hootington posted:

We should have a mod feedback thread where they tell the posters how much the mods hate them.

Been thinking this myself.

Weka
May 5, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!

Azathoth posted:

I had been reading the thread for a while, and came up with the permas, bans, and probes that were justified based on posting in the C-SPAM thread, and that is it. I didn't read the GBS thread beyond seeing the occasional report, as another admin did the same thing that I did. For the C-SPAM thread, we arrived at what we did based on the posts the posters made in C-SPAM, not because we were saying something like "well if we want to ban <X> from the C-SPAM thread, we need to find someone from the GBS thread to make the numbers even". That would be asinine because we don't moderate C-SPAM based on what GBS does, and GBS doesn't moderate based on what C-SPAM does.

Your whole argument is predicated on the idea that there was a forum war between C-SPAM and GBS, and that if we did something to C-SPAM, we had to do the same to GBS and vice versa and that's just dumb.

What I'm getting from this is that you approached the effort to shift the forums culture more sincerely.

Anyway, it's nice that around here almost always you can post with mods like they aren't mods, you all are doing a pretty good job at resisting the whisper of the buttons.

Weka
May 5, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!

Mr Hootington posted:

I think a lot of people are just sick of forums war stuff. Some of us need to get better at letting poo poo go or at least compartamentalizing various threads or conversations we are having. I can disagree with you in the Ukraine thread, but agree with you in the econ thread then yuck it up with you in video game thread.

Yeah!

Lib and let die posted:

i would've gone with "fly molobotomy" personally

That's the operation Jeff keeps performing.

Weka
May 5, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!

Azathoth posted:

For Majorian, he did a good job as IK of the U/R thread. Overall, we look at threads that don't have mods reading them, then look at the most frequent posters and see who we think would be good. Overall, I think Majorian has done a good job as a mod and that the U/R thread is much better for him being a full mod and being able to see reports. This little spat with AiT being an exception, of course, but I think he will learn from it.

If Majorian refuses to mend his wicked ways I'd suggest leaving him as a mod but only for that thread. He does the same sort of stuff there sometimes but overall good job.

ted hitler hunter posted:

Why doesn't mods get/request PTO when they should?

Jeff Biden pushed legislation through admingress denying them the right to PTO.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weka
May 5, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!
[quote]

NeatHeteroDude posted:

I'd like a police district's worth of posters in cspam or sa as a whole. It would really bring life to have another 10,000 or so friends to hang with

Things were super hectic back in the day. There's certainly good sides and bad to the change in the scale of the forums.

NeatHeteroDude posted:

probing people like shrike

God bless.