Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
Here's your CSPAM feedback thread for the Autumn/Spring.

The last few months were at times quite busy with a number of threads being reorganized. We added NeatHeteroDude, Jazerus, Trixie Hardcore and Majorian to the moderator janitor closet.

I looked at the old feedback thread and didn't see anything outstanding that needed to be addressed, but if I missed something please let me know.

https://i.imgur.com/ZHcOktq.mp4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

speng31b posted:

If you can make it funny or interesting and not descend into psycho parroting deathlust I agree. if people just want to post over and over about how they wish the worst people they know would die or kill themselves, or celebrate it when they do, all with zero humor there are other subs for that

agreed.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Majorian posted:

Be honest - would you actually post in such a thread, or do you just want the current Trump thread to not exist? Because if it's the former, yeah, make your own. Call it the "non-lovely Trump thread" or whatever you think is appropriate. If it's the latter, then pretend like it doesn't exist and poof, wish granted.

I will forever be a big supporter of more threads. Anything to get people posting in more places is pretty much the only solution I have to deal with the Megathread Problem. That being said I accept Megathreads as a part of SA and will never be hostile towards them or anything, but it's good to mix it up as much as is possible imo.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

mawarannahr posted:

Just remembered something, don’t do this again please. Especially without putting a clear reason in the probation.

I like you as a poster but come on, you need to read the room and have some compassion for your fellows here. It seems very hair trigger and personal — especially when you don’t explain why — which makes you bad at being a moderator. It’s upsetting! This kind of thing is why people are reacting strongly I think.

he did explain later along in the thread that the post touched a nerve, and then bowed out and asked me to step in and keep an eye on things

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
in my experience it's always been challenging to know when to step in and when to let the thread handle things, and I don't get it right, especially at times in the u/r thread.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
im going to teach azathoth how to read (posts)

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Cranappleberry posted:

he is not a bad politics poster and also the way he made d&d posters mad was v funny.

the idea that mods consider themselves shaping the culture or w/e of the subforums they manage is weird. That's how you end up with Bobbie Wickham e/n.

They have a bigger impact than other posters for sure but, for the most part, they should just act like regular posters. But if you want to shape cspam, shape into a crinkled ball and toss into the trash >:]

For me I think I've stated a few times that I think mods shouldn't be here to do that, and that the best we can do is to help foster and support what the community of posters here wants as long as it's not going to be incredibly illegal or insane or anything. I think most of us are on the same page on that front with regards to CSPAM specifically.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

speng31b posted:

my take after getting some distance is it probably would have been better to admit earlier that thread needed heavier handed moderation for the "im here to say how i want tankies to die" style of stuff earlier, instead of just "let them post it out until they melt down".

Yep and to be clear that is 100% on me as I was the one modding that thread almost exclusively for a long time. I learned a lot about modding contentious threads from that thread and I definitely erred on the side of letting people go buck wild.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

lobster shirt posted:

to be serious for a minute i think a major problem with a vague mission statement like "i want to support the community that posters want as long as it's not completely insane" is that different people are necessarily going to have different ideas of what a normal vs insane forums culture would look like, and conflict is going to arise from that. dont know how to solve that though.

for sure, and there's inevitably going to be disagreement about that because we all have preferences for what we would want this place to be. Besides just doing moderating things, I've tried to sticky posts that might generate interest around reading books and an avatar giveaway. Not a lot, I admit, but the U/R thread took up a ton of my time since February.

docbeard posted:

I've said before that the state of the world is such that no one is okay, everyone is being ground down, and exercising a bit of extra patience and (especially) kindness toward the people around us is more necessary than ever. That certainly applies to posters who CAN'T BELIEVE WHAT THAT WEIRD rear end in a top hat SAID IN [INSERT FORUM HERE] but it also applies to moderators who CAN'T BELIEVE WHAT THAT WEIRD rear end in a top hat SAID IN [INSERT FORUM WHERE I HAVE BUTTONS HERE].

agreed with the whole post, but especially to echo what vyelkin said: we should never feel pressured to take immediate mod action on 99% of posts if we're feeling heated about something. nothing wrong with asking someone else to look at it or just take 24 hours and come back to it.

I knew the U/R thread was going to generate a lot of heat because of how different the perspectives posted there were going to be from everywhere else and how that inevitably was going to cause friction, and let the admins know early on but I think things went beyond what they really expected.

Dreylad has issued a correction as of 21:55 on Dec 15, 2022

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Calibanibal posted:

brain candy is right. You mods are racist against the posters

I prefer a more intersectional approach in my anti-poster bigotry

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
Majorian wasn't even a top poster in the U/R thread when I asked him to IK.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

speng31b posted:

i mean, if you actually want to litigate the legitimacy of any of those punishments this is the thread for it. i don't speak for the mods but i don't think anyone would stop you or argue that's an invalid topic.

just stop pointing at GBS and reminding everyone there are bloodthirsty liberals there. it's obvious enough

This is definitely the thread for it, yeah.