Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

lobster shirt posted:

make me admin please

If I were an admin I’d just use my buttons as basically a bookmark method so when I used the “bans by admin” function in the lepers colon it would serve as an easy way to find notable posts

Probes would be for really embarrassing posts that deserve mockery
Bans would be for very insightful posts I might want to see again
Permas would be for really funny posts that make the forums a better place

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Brain Candy posted:

my feedback is i don't want cspam to be 'nice' or d&d but for dsa members and it seems like there's a decorum push that's making a desert and calling it peace

Many people have been saying this

because it’s true

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

speng31b posted:

what if there was an actionable threat megathread

:justpost:

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

paul_soccer12 posted:

Everyone should have to post under their real names. That will stop all the trolling

My user name is my real name. It’s realer than the name my family gave me, at least

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

mawarannahr posted:

The main issue right now is Majorian. NeatHeteroDude has shown a lot of growth. Maybe they could set up a kind of big brother system?

I’ve noticed NHD has taken a lighter touch since he had his little mini meltdown at me a week or so ago so maybe he’s trending in the right direction, I’m not holding my breath though but we’ll see, benefit of doubts for now

I think majorian is generally a good poster and has the potential to do a good job but should probably just let threads deal with people being annoying unless it becomes overwhelming. Some of the best melt downs happen when people get stuck in that negative feedback loop and cutting it off with probes should be limited to people who go absolutely insane like when xtal did their thing in the podcast thread (and everywhere else they posted)

Just my two cents though

Lib and let die posted:

i for one enjoy spr's style

:same: although I always fear I might cross her and end up on the wrong side of it

HashtagGirlboss has issued a correction as of 21:28 on Dec 12, 2022

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Have you ever known somebody who has bad discipline with their dogs? And you go into their house and it smells terrible but they don’t even realize it stinks because they’re accustomed to it?

Climate/Covid/Trump thread have the same problem

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

NeatHeteroDude posted:

You're right about me, and I apologize for getting confrontational with you. I have some things going on in the background that made me a little quick to engage when instead I could have just ignored you or made a joke. Sorry about that, I'll try to regulate how I post more in the future.

Edit: though I did hit a new bench PR with the extra energy :].

It’s all good. It’s not like my joke was particularly funny and probably intentionally a bit aggro, I’d rather post in peace than in conflict anyway

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Majorian posted:

Thanks, that's good feedback. I usually try to follow a "less-is-more" strategy when it comes to moderating, but I fully admit that I strayed from that a bit last week and used my buttons more than I should have. Sorry about that, folks. I'll go back to using a lighter touch unless it's necessary to do otherwise.

The way I look at it from the perspective of someone who neither has nor wants buttons it can be pretty funny when someone successfully trolls a thread and it’s often funny when a would-be troll gets batted around by thread regulars. It sucks when I get trolled but it’s usually my fault for taking bait. That was a big part of why the old Glenn thread stayed an entertaining read for as long as it did, although I guess it fell apart in the end. For me I feel like the line is more when someone starts getting serious main character syndrome. That’s when it starts getting tedious. But it takes a while to get to that point. Honestly it’s a pretty fine line to walk and I’m not jealous of people who try to find the line and it’s easy to armchair moderate from the sidelines since the stakes are low.

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Dustcat posted:

yea the cool zone was p dece in its day

The thread was good until it wasn’t, but at least it went out with a literal hail of bullets

Dustcat posted:

those kids fired on the crowd, it certainly wasn't a driving while black thing

why would you frame it like that

I don’t think it’s ever been clearly established that this was the case

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Dustcat posted:

well i just don't think the armed security at this particular event would shoot up a random car only because the people driving it were black

It was the middle of the night, people were loving on edge thinking they were the vanguard of a revolution. It’s perfectly conceivable they got spooked and started shooting

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Dustcat posted:

yeah but that wouldn't be a "driving while black" shooting would it?

I don’t necessarily think it was a driving while black situation but I also don’t think they opened fire on security. I think it was dumbasses playing revolutionary and getting spooked and killing two teenagers

Very lovely and sad situation

But it’s probably not the right thread

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Dustcat posted:

i'm following it but i forget who exactly it was who shot up the car

Has that information ever come out (the actual specific identity of the shooter I mean)? Honestly the whole situation stinks of a coverup by those involved looking to justify their actions after the fact. Afaik it’s never been established the teens even had a gun in the vehicle. The whole thing is a lot of stories being told by unreliable narrators

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Dustcat posted:

so why would they shoot up a car because black kids are driving it

they definitely thought shots were coming from that car

That doesn’t justify it even if it’s true, but I don’t think you can even say for sure they thought they were being shot at. I do think they got spooked by a vehicle where they didn’t expect one and opened fire, probably without even getting a great look at the people inside. Beyond that, I’m not inclined to trust anything else that got said about the shooting

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Well that took a turn

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Dustcat posted:

because why would the shoot up a random car

It’s the middle of the night, you’re packing heat and playing revolutionary on a self selected defense mission. You’re on edge because of constant rumors about proud boys about to attack. You might be drinking, probably definitely smoking weed, there’s a vehicle where there shouldn’t be. You open fire

To me, that’s the most logical chain of events but it’s all conjecture because none of us know poo poo and all the accounts are unreliable and full of holes

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Dustcat posted:

yeah but that, again, is not the car getting shot up because of "driving while black" which is where this all started from

You keep saying this but then you also keep trying to justify the murder so idk but this isn’t the right place to have this discussion so let’s both drop it, feel free to get the last word if you’re so inclined

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

MajorianTaylorGree

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Have we considered just giving each of the mega threads it’s own subforum and then we could forum wars even harder, and then maybe those subs could splinter into even more subs until we get to a beautiful endpoint where we’re each an ik of our own thread that only we post in that’s nested seven subs deep from a desolate CSPAM?

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

What’s the money line on Dems getting destroyed in 2024?

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

AnimeIsTrash posted:

whats wrong with the letter R

It’s in a no-no word not once but twice

Also sometimes in another no-no word but only when that word is hard

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

I like AiTs aggro posting style even if I have fallen on the receiving end of it. It seems to walk a pretty fine line between full on always on hostility and thoughtful posting

I say AiT is just alright and mods benefit from not getting in slap fights with posters

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Yeah that’s fair as long as they don’t start slamming their buttons and declaring loudly in mod voice that they’re the boss

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Majorian posted:

After AIT closed it yeah. I regret doing it, I could've just unlocked it.

At work when I’m mad I never send an email or slack until I’ve cooled down enough to make sure I’m not making things worse. Not trying to be condescending but this might be a good practice. Very few posts need immediate real time moderation and thirty minutes might make all the difference

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Mr Hootington posted:

Which is the "containment" thread?

People hated the Glenn thread but they couldn’t help but read it and get angry

A big part of why it was such a fun thread to read until it wasn’t

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

mawarannahr posted:

SPR is unfit to be a moderator due to failing to model good behavior and committing button abuse in the Glenn thread. Should have had the stars stripped tbh but Azathoth is too cowardly to ward off interference in his domain. Additionally, there are too many video games discussions already.

Video games are a metaphor for life

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

lobster shirt posted:

spending 30 dollars to argue with the mods

Who is it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

The lack of even a high level explanation of what they were (kys, slurs, etc…) is very suspicious

I can certainly believe people send absolutely beyond the pale deranged pms to mods, but if it’s the basis of a perma I’d expect at least some summary