Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

I posted this in the State of the Forums thread and got the following reply from Jeffrey:

greazeball posted:

Getting new users has to be done via the front page and social media channels.

The other thing that turns people off is the Web 1.0 aesthetic--which is something I think most of us rate as one of our favourite things about the site. Explain it somewhere, post it on the front page and share it everyehwere. This is what the internet was like before ad revenue and data harvesting became the priority. People mess around and share their interests. Engagement is your prerogative, find what you like and enjoy it. Replies are chronological so it's more like a conversation than a popularity contest. The algorithm doesn't know what's good, you do. Bad posts get poo poo on by the community and bad posters get run out by the community. Etc, etc. Basically, people just think SA looks ugly, there's too many threads and they don't have the patience to lurk and figure things out so they don't stick around even if they're gifted accounts. Ours is a different place from most of the rest of the internet these days and we should make an effort to describe why it is intentionally the way it is.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

This is a really good idea. Directly and forthrightly stating what the site is, why it is the way it is, and why it's good should be a basic function of whatever landing page new users end up on

Let’s run with it. Be the change you want to see and all that. Post articles ITT that you think would help explain what this site is to someone who’s never visited. It’s time for some brand maintenance, what do you think people should know about this place?

Here's my attempt at a general introduction/pinned article on a revamped landing page. If you don't like it, write a better one!

--------------------

Greetings from the early 2000s! Something Awful is a time capsule of the internet, a proud relic of the days before ad-supported engagement-seeking time-sucking hellsites of brainless upvoted cookie cutter clickbait bullshit was the only stuff you could find. No algorithms suggest things for you here, because that just encourages what the algorithm likes instead of what people like.

SA isn’t a low-effort site where you can scroll endlessly through the day’s most engaging posts and just double-tap to like something. You’ll find stuff but you’ve got to look for it. You can use the search function, but this place is more like a weird library where you browse titles for something interesting and then flip through to see if it’s worth checking out. There’s good stuff inside (for varying definitions of good), but you have to actually read the threads to find it.

This is intentional. We’re a community (several communities, actually) of posters who care about what we post and who we post with. There are no likes, thanks, badges, rewards or anything to collect. We post because we love it. It’s more like a conversation than a popularity contest.

Good posts get more people to post. Bad posts get challenged and insulted. Bad posters get removed. That’s right, we have an active moderation team who eject bigots, shitheads and unfunny assholes every day. It costs $10 to make an account, so these people either gently caress off forever or re-register and get banned a bunch of times and the site makes money. Most people just pay $10 once and have a good time.

The spirit of the early internet lives here. We’re weird, cranky, funny, opinionated and pretty welcoming for the most part. Start browsing the forums (they’re split into pretty major categories, there are hundreds of threads under each one) or register an account if you want to post. There are lots more articles on this front page if you want to learn more about SA.

--------------------

Post your intros or more specific info you think would help explain more about why the forums are the way they are. Some other brainstormed topics I haven't fleshed out at all:
  • The beauty of our butt ugly forums or why reddit sucks
  • The long dark history of this website and its founder
  • Which forums I like and why (goon reading profiles)
  • Why is everybody so loving hostile?
  • Why we hate the algorithm
  • Why we love moderation
  • gently caress You And Die
  • The edgy jokes of 90s teenagers
  • The SA experience as a woman/PoC/LGBTQ person
  • Etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     
:goatsecx:

Twigand Berries
Sep 7, 2008

when i want to talk about a video game i can't talk to real people about it because they would walk away so this is a place to talk about a video game and it's slightly less whiny than anywhere else on the internet for that i've found so far

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
One idea would be some kind of cliffs notes like this, hitting the main points of why SA is a better social experience than every other garbage website:

Something Awful is a haven to escape the worst parts of what the internet has become. From the very beginning, our motto has been "The Internet Makes You Stupid," and our goal here at SA is to keep out the worst parts of what makes the internet stupid on other websites.

What do you hate about the modern internet?

Everything is built around advertising!
Other sites are built around advertising because they are free to use. At Something Awful we charge a registration fee and require you to pay for things like custom avatars so that we don't have to rely on advertising income. We do not run outside ads, and because of this our incentive is to run the website in a way that makes users happy instead of a way that makes advertisers happy.

Everything is run by an opaque algorithm!
There is no algorithmic curation or moderation on Something Awful. There is no robot working behind the scenes determining what content you see or what posts get you banned. We have subforums for discussion of just about anything but only you decide what topics you're interested in, and actual people run the website instead of leaving moderation to an AI algorithm.

Every website is overrun by bots!
Bots aren't interested in a website where you have to pay to join. The posters you interact with here are real people from all over the world.

It's so hard it is to have a conversation!
Social media sites are built around showing you what's popular, and they are built in ways that can make it very hard to follow a discussion instead of being shown whatever has the most upvotes, likes, or retweets. SA is built around threads organized chronologically: you see everything in the order it was posted instead of seeing more popular things first, making it very easy to just talk with other people about your interests.

Everything is dumbed down to fit in the length of a tweet or a tiktok video!
Our forum software allows and encourages longer posting, which gets just as much priority in the forum as short posts. One of SA's cherished traditions is knowledgeable people educating others about their subjects of expertise. You can find in-depth information on just about anything here, and the forum setup means that you can take your time instead of being forced to make everything bite size or worrying that you missed something.

Everybody is self-serious and whiny all the time!
SA was founded as a comedy website and will always be a place where jokes are allowed and encouraged as long as they're funny. There are lots of opportunities for in-depth discussion of whatever you're interested in, but this is also a website where you're expected to have a sense of humour about it.

Every site is overrun with horrible people!
We may be rude and elitist, but we don't tolerate bigotry or hate speech or the other nasty things that have overrun a lot of social media sites. Requiring a registration fee keeps out most people who just want to trash the place, and we do our best to get rid of anybody who decides to waste their $10 on being an rear end in a top hat.

vyelkin fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Dec 10, 2022

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o1twDYSyMss

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Bigg rear end turd buster, the turd busting out the anus, the vermicular greased up b-hole slide of the itinerant log, the bootyhole burster gushing from the back-end splatterhouse like a dog heaving up horse feed, the bunger somehow, someway, exactly replicating the sound of a cat hurfing-and-gurfing a slobber slick sphere of hurrball.

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     
If you have to meticulously explain why something is good maybe it just sucks? Especially if this is supposed to be a comedy site? Like how many websites did you discover because there's a 1000 word essay on the front page.

And it's not like there's hundreds of people stumbling onto somethingawful.com and getting confused and leaving. No one is even reading the front page. Either put content on there that makes people want to link to that content (which hasn't happened in like 20 years) or just forward somethingawful.com to the forums.

RepeatingMeme
Dec 27, 2012

this place is not a place of honor

no highly esteemed deed is commemorated here

nothing valued is here

what is here was dangerous and repulsive to us

this place is best shunned and left uninhabited

Schweinhund posted:

If you have to meticulously explain why something is good maybe it just sucks? Especially if this is supposed to be a comedy site? Like how many websites did you discover because there's a 1000 word essay on the front page.

And it's not like there's hundreds of people stumbling onto somethingawful.com and getting confused and leaving. No one is even reading the front page. Either put content on there that makes people want to link to that content (which hasn't happened in like 20 years) or just forward somethingawful.com to the forums.

This, if you have to describe the site keep it under 100 words.

Or just post this:

Lil Swamp Booger Baby posted:

Bigg rear end turd buster, the turd busting out the anus, the vermicular greased up b-hole slide of the itinerant log, the bootyhole burster gushing from the back-end splatterhouse like a dog heaving up horse feed, the bunger somehow, someway, exactly replicating the sound of a cat hurfing-and-gurfing a slobber slick sphere of hurrball.

Deep Glove Bruno
Sep 4, 2015

yung swamp thang

Lil Swamp Booger Baby posted:

of course, but "itinerant"?

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

Lookit those knockers clappers!

Deep Glove Bruno
Sep 4, 2015

yung swamp thang

Schweinhund posted:

I think it'd probably be useful to have something about why SA is how it is. You and I and anyone who was around in the early 00s has an insanely different conception of how you can consume internet content from anyone who got on a few years later in the myspace and facebook years. Looking at SA in curiosity is going to totally puzzle someone whose first heavy internet use came after modern social media.

It's not a bad idea to address what everyone clearly hates about big socials now and why SA has avoided those things. Honestly any kind of statement along those lines would be better than a construction gif uploaded by the last living person who knew how to operate the front page CMS years ago.

Short is good but having some kind of a longer manifesto like OP's as well isn't a bad idea either. Or maybe it is, gently caress it. If I were Jeffrey I'd make an attempt to get press for having a web 1.0 somehow-still-alive gay comedy website as a novelty, and be able to point to some statement about why SA has some advantages over the blob. I dunno

i must compose
Jul 4, 2010

Until the lions have their own historians, the history of the hunt will always glorify the hunter.
Somethingawful: if you lived here you'd be home by now!

istewart
Apr 13, 2005

Still contemplating why I didn't register here under a clever pseudonym

Deep Glove Bruno posted:

of course, but "itinerant"?

With more new posters on board, we get closer to solving the traveling poo problem

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

I spent :10bux: so I could say that I finally figured out what this god damned cube is doing. Get well Lowtax.
Grimey Drawer
Thank you for visiting Something Awful! Do you like jokes and comedy? Let me know when you find some!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x3SxEOvAOEg

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

Zoomers don't read, convert the essay to TikTok dances

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

a gif of a cartoon sign post in a cartoon desert proclaiming: "welcome to somethingawful. if you're here for the violent rightwing insurrection movement, please sign up in the gleen greenwald thread in cspam"

Noblesse Obliged
Apr 7, 2012

Advertise that the site is both Funny and Leftist and people will flock here to see which one is the lie

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

Offense is overrated anyway.

sa is the best place on the internet to find anonymous bathroom sex in your area

Treecko
Apr 23, 2008

The Official Demon Girl
Boss of 2022!
I wanted to reply but an ad moved in front of my thumb/cursor :(

Dixville
Nov 4, 2008

I don't think!
Ham Wrangler
im gay

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

so what

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.

greazeball posted:

The spirit of the early internet lives here.

Would make a great closing line at the end of the somethingawful tourism ad.

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

Listen furries, while we're not really down on you guys anymore (hell I played a catboy in FFXIV) that dude who posted the apology article is a fuckin' idiot who we're constantly laughing at and he didn't speak for all of us even though he claimed to. Seriously, the dude was an absolute dipshit. Like, "if he got any dumber we'd have to put him in the sun and water him" dipshit.

But he's not alone, we are by and large all absolute dipshits. And I know you are too. So pay 10 bucks for an account that can be taken away from you at absolutely any moment at the whim of people who never had the slightest bit of power in their lives before they got modded. It's not as bad as it sounds and it's still better than Reddit could ever hope to be.

thanks ilu,
whh

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

I miss that guy

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

William Henry Hairytaint posted:

Listen furries, while we're not really down on you guys anymore (hell I played a catboy in FFXIV) that dude who posted the apology article is a fuckin' idiot who we're constantly laughing at and he didn't speak for all of us even though he claimed to. Seriously, the dude was an absolute dipshit. Like, "if he got any dumber we'd have to put him in the sun and water him" dipshit.

But he's not alone, we are by and large all absolute dipshits. And I know you are too. So pay 10 bucks for an account that can be taken away from you at absolutely any moment at the whim of people who never had the slightest bit of power in their lives before they got modded. It's not as bad as it sounds and it's still better than Reddit could ever hope to be.

thanks ilu,
whh

Phiz Kalifa is that guy and he's indeed a grade A tuna can sized chode

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.
I am frequently reminded and made to feel very happy and even proud of the people in these forums. Looking at the stupid furry hate, rampant slur use, general 90s kid dipshittery that bled into the 00s Internet, but fast forward to the present and everyone has... well, "matured" is an awkward word choice. I'm just happy that we evolved while shitheaps like 4chan absorbed the worst of us like a gross sponge.

Also just really amusing to consider how many of us turned out to be trans, autistic, gay, furries, etc., those things that in an earlier time were just vaguely understood concepts and groups we once ignorantly and freely mocked.

I mean, I really feel bad about the furry treatment. I think they were one of the last demographics to be pulled out of the "it's okay to insult these people venomously and relentlessly" pool, that pool that is now full of republicans and also Lowtax

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
Furries are still gross

There isn't a way to dress up like a children's cartoon character and turn it into a sex thing that isn't gross.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016

ninjoatse.cx posted:

Furries are still gross

There isn't a way to dress up like a children's cartoon character and turn it into a sex thing that isn't gross.

Then don't turn it into a sex thing.

I know some furries. I don't know what they do in their sex lives, they just like to imagine themselves as anthropomorphic animal-folk. It's parallel to anime dorks dressing up, or theatre nerds dressing up, or video game dweebs dressing up. Which maybe earns some mockery to a degree, but not the vilification they receive.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

credburn posted:

Then don't turn it into a sex thing.

I know some furries. I don't know what they do in their sex lives, they just like to imagine themselves as anthropomorphic animal-folk. It's parallel to anime dorks dressing up, or theatre nerds dressing up, or video game dweebs dressing up.

but anime dorks dress up as people, theatre nerds dress up as people, and video game dweebs dress up as people. furries dress up as animals

Treecko
Apr 23, 2008

The Official Demon Girl
Boss of 2022!
I know some. Like all things, if they try to shove it in your face, cover your eyes and run away

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

just put the pigs huge balls on the front page and you click the left ball to signup or the right ball to login

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
We used to be a minor big deal 20 years ago, so maybe if you like stage MILFs you'll like us.

Spinz
Jan 7, 2020

I ordered luscious new gemstones from India and made new earrings for my SA mart thread

Remember my earrings and art are much better than my posting

New stuff starts towards end of page 3 of the thread
Welcome to the sausagefest

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Das Boo posted:

We used to be a minor big deal 20 years ago, so maybe if you like stage MILFs you'll like us.

I do, and would like to subscribe to your newsletter

Alucard
Mar 11, 2002
Pillbug
If you're not a star poster on Reddit, you should try out Something Awful - instead of your posts getting algorithmically sent into obscurity, everyone here has to wade through your particularly brainworm-ridden thoughts to get to the rest of the conversation!

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

Do you miss the old internet? Do you long for those halcyon Web 1.0 days when the posters were real ones and the only people tracking everything you do online were weird forum nerds?

We sure do! Here at somethingawful.com we believe in the way things used to be—except for the slurs. We don’t do that anymore and maybe furries are ok now but also maybe not?!

Give us :10bux:, sign up for the forums, and find out for yourself!

PS: we never liked lowtax

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

Alucard posted:

If you're not a star poster on Reddit, you should try out Something Awful - instead of your posts getting algorithmically sent into obscurity, everyone here has to wade through your particularly brainworm-ridden thoughts to get to the rest of the conversation!

THIS!!!

Treecko
Apr 23, 2008

The Official Demon Girl
Boss of 2022!
Don't forget SA goons helped get rid of some SERIOISLY BAD poo poo on Reddit

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

SA fuckin hates pedos that's why we've never allowed any to be moderators

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

By popular demand