Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Did we ever get the affinity map last year of which posters we were most like in taste? We had it in 2020 but i didnt see 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Real hurthling! posted:

Did we ever get the affinity map last year of which posters we were most like in taste? We had it in 2020 but i didnt see 2021

VG did 2020, I didn't do one in 2021 because a) that level of data analysis is vastly beyond me and b) I forgot :sweatdrop:

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Real hurthling! posted:

Link to the 2020 one?

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I stared at the 2020 affinity map for like 10 minutes and I still didn't understand it.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

exquisite tea posted:

I stared at the 2020 affinity map for like 10 minutes and I still didn't understand it.

This

Updog Scully
Apr 20, 2021

This post is accompanied by all the requisite visual and audio effects.

:blastback::woomy::blaster:
Fantastic OP, though I do think the announcement of Chris Pratt's casting as Mario deserves more presence. In fact, the September graphic should say "The Month Miyamoto Announced Chris Pratt Would Be Mario And Said He's So Cool".

For clarity, I, a shameless post-editor, edited this post to add #10 - #5.

#10: Fortnite
Zero Build mode is a game-changer. Gone is the stupid tower building bullshit, replaced with a ridiculous smorgasbord of unique, fun, crazy weapons and vehicles. There's seriously so much stuff in the game now, and it's constantly refreshing. The entire map was just scrapped and replaced in a game-changing blockbuster event. They added dirt-bikes out of nowhere. The game is worth playing just to marvel at the sheer spectacle of it all. However, it is still Fortnite, and as such I am giving it the Fortnite spot.

#9: Ultimate Chicken Horse
This game is an absolute belter with some pals. It's been consistently updated from release onwards, so now it has an onslaught of cute characters and unique stages - the Mainframe stage they added in 2018 is one of my favourites. The game only allows for some strategic gameplay, and victory boils down to platforming skills in the end, but it's the gold standard for party platforming games.

#8: Vampire Survivors
I like this game, but not quite as much as some people seem to. It's good for a quick endorphin rush, but its gameplay is hardly engaging (which I guess is the point, just not my cup of tea). Still putting it on because I got addicted, even if it's in the way you get hooked on cheap ciggies.

#7: Pictopix
It's Picross. While it is by no means the only Picross I've played this year, it has my favourite music of the Picrosses this year.

#6: Inscryption
I'm continually surprised by the lack of love my fellow goons show for this game. It's amazing! The gameplay is great, the story is really great - play this game, without any foreknowledge if you can, and it'll knock your socks off.

#5: Hitman Trilogy (you can count this as Hitman 3 for statistical purposes if that works out better, even though I haven't actually played any of 3's content yet :lol:)
This game would probably be higher but I am putting myself through the hell that is Professional difficulty at the moment and it's kicking my rear end. The main impact is that the pace of the trilogy for me is far too slow, owing to the impressively sized levels: I've been playing for nearly a month and I'm still not through the first game yet. It's worth it, because when I do complete a level, I feel an exhilarating rush - I earned my win through intricate planning and precise gameplay. Seriously, the game on Professional mode offers real mercenary thrills, the opportunity for players to really prove that they can pull off a master assassination. You can still follow story missions, but working them out this way really makes you work hard for them - you earn the funny ironic death. You can be left reeling just from context-sensitive actions - "wait, I can do that? So, if you killed him this way... Oh. Ohhhh." Seriously great game.

#4: Dwarf Fortress
My experience with this game was booting it up and realising it was RimWorld with less punishing bullshit and way more detail. Its spot on my list was ensured when I scrolled my mouse wheel and realised there was an actual Z axis. Yes, it just came out and I just started playing it, but I love the dwarves and I am happy when they diggy diggy hole. I cannot wait to build a 150-dwarf super complex, only to have it felled by a giant were-spider.

#3: Poinpy
Yes, I am putting a Netflix mobile game higher than Dwarf Fortress. This is no ordinary mobile game, though - this is Poinpy! Developed by the creator of Downwell, Poinpy is a little fellow who bounces upwards instead of downwards. Players use a joyous touch interface to ricochet Poinpy off walls, collecting fruits to placate a hungy blue guy at the bottom of the screen. As the game continues, more elaborate concoctions are required, but the game isn't infinite and a beautiful ending awaits sufficiently skilled players. Poinpy is a delight and if you have Netflix it's a no-brainer. Seriously download this game, it's awesome.

#2: Splatoon 3
This game is crazy fun! If you already have Splatoon 2, this is the same game but the specials are actually good now, which should make it an instant buy. Splatoon is a perfectly distilled arena shooter - shoot with ZL, squid (which combines sprinting, reloading, going prone, parkour, and climbing walls) with ZR. It's pretty much the perfect control scheme, keeping the complexity of a modern FPS with super-simple controls, especially with gyro turned on - I need gyro controls in every shooter after this game. The game features a fully fledged single player campaign, a fleshed out PvE which actually released on launch unlike Overwatch 2, and a meaty update three months in with several more planned over the next few years. A few of the maps need a bit of tweaking, but otherwise, if you have a Switch and don't have this game, please do yourself a favour and grab a copy. Booyah!

#1: Elden Ring
I loved Elden Ring and I regret none of the two months I wasted away playing it. Won't say much more than that, because honestly, do I need to? This needs to be the top game of this year - hell, it's one of the greatest games ever made.

Updog Scully fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Dec 19, 2022

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

A Sometimes Food posted:

Link to the 2020 one?

Each of the four previous winners graphics in the second post are links to the old threads.

Microcline
Jul 27, 2012

Real hurthling! posted:

If you're referring to the principle component analysis (what IIRC the anime thread does) I made one in 2020:

Microcline posted:

Inspired by the anime thread I tried my hand at a Principal Component Analysis diagram.

For reference, blue is PS4/PS5 owners, red is Switch owners, and purple is idorts. So it seems the biggest questions this year were "do you own a PS4?" and "how intensely did you like Hades?"

I also did a visualization of this year vs. last year

which if anything, again shows that the Playstation was having a loving year this year. Last year, out of the top 20 games Switch exclusives grabbed 5 and 18 and the Playstation only had Death Stranding at 7. This year, the Switch grabbed 5 while the Playstation grabbed 2, 4, 7, 9, 11, 15, and 18. (and I have to admit this thread had me checking the prices on used PS4s, because that kind of giant robot anime nonsense is very much my thing)

and cheetah7071 made on in 2021:

cheetah7071 posted:

I've done a bit of data exploration! First, I really liked the ordinations someone did last year--a kind of graph that shows how closely aligned different variables (in this case, votes) are with each other. There's a bit of a snag though--the way the math works, an ordination only really works if the data is kind of predictable. In this case, that would mean something like, if you know how someone cast three of their votes, you have a decent-ish guess as to how they cast the rest. But you goons are just too dang unpredictable for that to be true. In order to have a reasonable chance of guessing how you ranked Metroid Dread, I'd need to know how you ranked all nine of the other top ten games. Still, graphs are fun, so here's an ordination, with that big grain of salt. The way you read this is that arrows pointing in the same direction are correlated--if someone ranked one highly, they were more likely to rank the other one highly (but not by very much, because of the aforementioned unpredictability). The dots represent where all the goon votes fell in this view of the data.

Second, I thought I'd test Stux's hypothesis:

Checking which lists had over 10 was a pain in the rear end cause the dataset I had didn't record those, so I just checked people with the full 10 votes vs having less than 10. And the results are...

No statistically significant difference between the percentage of XIV voters who cast the full 10 votes compared to the percentages of non-XIV voters who cast the full 10 votes. The fisher test returned p=0.29, well outside the bounds of rejecting the null hypothesis.

It seems Stux is the one who needs to read another book...a statistics book.

The actual exciting part of the data exploration coming in a minute, it'll format better as two posts

I'll probably be gathering data again this year so I can pretty easily do things like list all games with only one vote (it will be a long list though as last year this was 19.6% of all points cast)

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

A Sometimes Food posted:

Link to the 2020 one?

This, I think?

I'm not a statistics person, but I think it shows which users had the most strongly correlated votes. Like, everyone in the lower left voted for about the same games in about the same orders, and the people in the upper right all had very different lists

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

RoyalScion posted:

Josh Sawyer was one of the main directors for both Fallout: New Vegas and Alpha Protocol, both lauded for their narrative and it really shows here.
The only design I did on Alpha Protocol was taking over the CQC system halfway through development. I did no work on the narrative.

But I did direct Fallout: New Vegas and Pillars of Eternity I & II.

welcome
Jun 28, 2002

rail slut
Honorable mentions

Sam Barlow's Immortality
I bounced hard off of Her Story and only found out that this was the same guy after I had downloaded it, so I wasn't expecting much. I wound up enjoying this enough to find all the clips, despite some frustration at the end. God bless Game Pass.

The Silver Case
Don't play all the Transmitter cases in a row before starting the Placebo cases. Would really like to play this again but it's just so drat slow.

Metal Gear 2 & Metal Gear Solid: Ghost Babel
The 2D prototype and 2D remake of MGS, highly recommend for all Metal Gear fans.

Final Fantasy VII Remake
It took a long time for the combat to click for me, but when it finally did I had a blast with it. Shame that most of the game was bullshit minigames and slow load time walking.

Yakuza 5
This was certainly The Most Yakuza! Some of the best side content in the whole series, but also a whole lot of cruft over the 60000 hours it took to finish.

Slay the Spire
I finally ate the donut and killed a boss on turn one. Next stop, A20! Just as soon as I finish ascension 19...

Top Ten

10) Record of Lodoss War: Deedlit in Wonder Labyrinth
It's a castleoid with Ikaruga-style polarity changing to absorb enemy fire. But unlike Outland I actually finished this one. Boss fights were challenging the whole game through.

9) Yakuza 6: The Song of Life
The anti Yakuza 5, this one is so light on sidequests it doesn't even have locker keys. But that just puts the spotlight on the story for a change, and the last few chapters of Kiryu's saga are a hell of a rollercoaster.

8) Ace Attorney: Justice for All
Hell, I even liked the clown case.

7) Dragon Quest Heroes: Rocket Slime
Never heard of this one before I played it, you gather monsters and ammo and then have those monsters shoot that ammo out of tanks. The tensest I felt while gaming all year was in the final Tank Masters battle, trying to tackle that bastard healslime as he hopped in circles all around my exposed core.

6) Astro Boy: Omega Factor
Passed on this one back in the day because of the license - well, I hosed up. A stew of ideas from nearly every previous Treasure game, and almost all of the ideas work great.

5) Tunic
Despite some combat related frustration, this was on track to be my game of the century. An ill-advised mechanic introduced just before the halfway point had me turn on god mode for pretty much the whole rest of the game, and despite the brilliance of the final puzzle, the back half mostly just felt like a chore. Mindshare GotY tho, I spent a lot of time just thinking about it.

4) Nobody Saves the World
Gameplay loop of the year, except for that other game. Levelling and switching between forms was a blast.

3) Dragon Warrior VII (PSX)
The Yakuza 5 of the series, this is much like Dragon Quest VI except way more of everything. And despite not being a big fan of the endless and aimless sidequests in VI, the siloed nature of the vignettes here makes each excursion feel more like a proper adventure.

2) Yakuza: Like a Dragon
Being a big DQ fan but also a big Kiryu Kazama fan, I was cautiously optimistic about this. It met every expectation and then some - can't wait for the next Ichiban entry.

1) Vampire Survivors
Single stick shooter? Mover? Roguelike arena? I'm sure we'll all be sick to death of whatever they call the genre before long, but in the meantime, I'll be killing milk elementals again and again. And again.

RoyalScion
May 16, 2009

rope kid posted:

The only design I did on Alpha Protocol was taking over the CQC system halfway through development. I did no work on the narrative.

Ah, that’s my bad. You were listed in the Wikipedia credits as a designer but not specifically a narrative designer so I made a bad assumption. Thanks for the correction.

RoyalScion fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Dec 12, 2022

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

thank you rope kid.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
thope kid

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Pentiment director posting in SA's GOTY, we get all the big names :hai:

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Stux posted:

thank you rope kid.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

Rarity posted:

Pentiment director posting in SA's GOTY, we get all the big names :hai:

This thread is a bigger deal than Geoff Keighley Presents: The Geoff Keighley Game Awards brought to you by Geoff Keighley

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

rope kid posted:

Be real interested in a list from you btw. Assuming you feel comfortable doing it.

Microcline posted:

If you're referring to the principle component analysis (what IIRC the anime thread does) I made one in 2020:

and cheetah7071 made on in 2021:

I'll probably be gathering data again this year so I can pretty easily do things like list all games with only one vote (it will be a long list though as last year this was 19.6% of all points cast)

Cheers and thanks haveblue for also answering me.

Edit: apparently I'm in a little cluster with Fatkat and Necronomicon.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

fridge corn posted:

This thread is a bigger deal than Geoff Keighley Presents: The Geoff Keighley Game Awards brought to you by Geoff Keighley

Rename this forum to Avignon and make VG the Dorito Antipope

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

fridge corn posted:

Note to self: find way to turn the countdown into 80% ads :thunkher:

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

I don't care if you're a star, the moon, or the whole damn sky, you need to come back down to earth and remember where you came from

Rarity posted:

Note to self: find way to turn the countdown into 80% ads :thunkher:

If you think about it, the GOTY list is already 90% ads.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
will Hollow Knight: Silksong be announced during the Game of the Year 2022 Thread

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Well I will not confirm that it won't be announced...

Updog Scully
Apr 20, 2021

sorry for not playing your game Mr Rope I will do better

fridge corn posted:

This thread is a bigger deal than Geoff Keighley Presents: The Bill Clinton Awards brought to you by Funny Child and 10 Minute Kratos

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Rope Kid should be banned from this thread, so as not to bias the judges

Updog Scully
Apr 20, 2021

Feels Villeneuve posted:

Rope Kid should be banned from this thread, so as not to bias the judges

:hmmyes: blatant electioneering and vote manipulation

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Hey rope kid paid me good money for those votes :mad:

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

fridge corn posted:

This thread is a bigger deal than Geoff Keighley Presents: The Bill Clinton Awards brought to you by Funny Child, 10 Minute Kratos and Flute Guy

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

Its gonna be the inverse of the Keighlies, where everybody thinks Elden Ring is gonna get GOTY only for GoW Ragnarok to steal the crown at the last minute

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Feldegast42 posted:

Its gonna be the inverse of the Keighlies, where everybody thinks Elden Ring is gonna get GOTY only for GoW Ragnarok to steal the crown at the last minute

It's got a lot of catching up to do because I don't think it's been on a single list

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

It's on my list... of games I don't want to play !!!

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Jay Rust posted:

It's on my list... of games I don't want to play !!!

Don't make me tap the sign

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Rarity posted:

Don't make me tap the sign

4. Don't be a dick about other people's choices.

What if it no one chose it

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Jay Rust posted:

4. Don't be a dick about other people's choices.

What if it no one chose it

I mean he's got a point

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
gently caress you've got me

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

Not choosing a game means you still have made a choice :colbert:

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
god of war is a trash game that was pooped out of a butt until the exact instant someone puts it on their list, at which point it becomes a decent game and a reasonable thing to rank

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Feldegast42 posted:

Not choosing a game means you still have made a choice :colbert:

You're not the boss of me, prog rock band Rush. Go back to singing about an Ayn Rand novel.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

cheetah7071 posted:

god of war is a trash game that was pooped out of a butt until the exact instant someone puts it on their list, at which point it becomes a decent game and a reasonable thing to rank

:hmmyes:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

God of Snore