Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

Rarity posted:

Well FF14 has been in the top 10 for the last 4 years but it's a special case cause it constantly gets new content. Besides that Disco Elysium is by far the best for longevity but from memory Hades, Outer Wilds and Sekiro have all done a great job of sticking around as well

good point.

will elden ring get more content? is it better to compare elden ring to ffxiv or disco or any of those other titles? i've yet to play elden ring so i can't say. it's obviously not an mmo so i don't think ffxiv feels like the right comparison? but maybe they're planning something?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Don’t really know how the list similarity works as the person I was paired with had the same top two and then they had VS in their list at 3 whereas it was 8 in mine but then we didn’t have the other seven in common at all

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

TriffTshngo posted:

if i don't see live a live on some of you mf's lists this december there will be violence

I didn't like it v:)v

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.

abelwingnut posted:

good point.

will elden ring get more content? is it better to compare elden ring to ffxiv or disco or any of those other titles? i've yet to play elden ring so i can't say. it's obviously not an mmo so i don't think ffxiv feels like the right comparison? but maybe they're planning something?

Everyone's hoping for DLC at some point, but there hasn't been any announcements yet.

I don't think ER will stick around in the future like a lot of the other winners in years past, if only because no one was sleeping on it like they were games like Disco Elysium or Hades. Everyone knew ER was going to be good

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

wuggles posted:

This is cool! Why is not commutative? Mathematically speaking if d(x,y) is the minimum value of a metric d(y,x) should be as well right?

I’d been pondering that too. But I don’t think it has to be. Imagine an scalene triangle with corners A, B and C. Let the distance between A and B be x, B and C be y, and A and C be z, with x < y < z. Then A pairs with B, B pairs with A, and C pairs with B. So the distances commute, but C being closest to B does not imply B closest to C.

Escobarbarian posted:

Don’t really know how the list similarity works as the person I was paired with had the same top two and then they had VS in their list at 3 whereas it was 8 in mine but then we didn’t have the other seven in common at all

It’s based on both the degree of matching between the games on the list at all and positions of those games on those lists, with the p parameter determining the relative weights with lower values for p increasing the weight of the top of the list in the matching relative to everything else. Ultimately what to set p at is subjective (it can go between 0 and 1), but so thought for this a trade off of 0.7 was reasonable, so that corresponds to weighting the top of the list more, but still taking the whole list into account.

CottonWolf fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Jan 8, 2023

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I assumed it was commutative since I and my gaming twin were in the list twice, both ways. But yeah, I didn't check anyone else

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Escobarbarian posted:

I imagine that higher-ranked games are given a much greater weight, such that you're much more likely to match with someone if your top choices are similar.

It's messy because most people have quite diverse lists and I don't think anybody's Top 5 is exactly the same. One thing that's apparent is that the Switch has its own unique ecosystem as there's a lot more parity between users there.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

We just need a couple thousand more people voting every year then we can find our gaming soulmates

Microcline
Jul 27, 2012

CottonWolf posted:

Games that appeared in only one list and were rated top:

code:
Super Street Fighter II Turbo
SUPERHOT
The Last Spell
Library of Ruina
Crusader Kings III
Vision Soft Reset
Pathologic 2
Lords of Infinity
Atelier Sophie 2: The Alchemist of the Mystical Dream
Dropsy
Final Fantasy VII
Watch_Dogs
Thief II: The Metal Age
Eco
South Park: The Fractured But Whole
The Beginner's Guide
Metal: Hellsinger
Xanadu Next
Yakuza 6: The Song of Life
Doom II
Final Fantasy X
Mirror's Edge
Hot Wheels: Unleashed
Half-Life
Ghostwire: Tokyo
Mega Man Rock n Roll
Crypt of the Necrodancer
Oxygen Not Included
Soul Hackers 2
Vanquish
Final Fantasy XIV: Shadowbringers
Chorus
Opus: Echo of Starsong
eBASEBALL Powerful Pro Baseball 2022
Fire Emblem: Three Houses

I think this is the games that got 10 points rather than the games with only one #1 vote. For instance I ranked The Last Spell 9th and sirtommygunn ranked it 3rd which gives a total of 10 points. (how did so few people play it in 2022, the year of the SRPG?) The list I have is:

code:
ANBENNAR
ATELIER SOPHIE 2
CRUSADER KINGS III
DROPSY
EBASEBALL POWERFUL PRO BASEBALL 2022
ECO
FINAL FANTASY X
HALF LIFE
HOT WHEELS: UNLEASHED
LIBRARY OF RUINA
LORDS OF INFINITY
MEGA MAN ROCK N ROLL
MIRROR’S EDGE
OXYGEN NOT INCLUDED
PATHOLOGIC 2
SUPER STREET FIGHTER 2: TURBO
THE BEGINNER'S GUIDE
THIEF II: THE METAL AGE
VANQUISH
VISION SOFT RESET
WATCHDOGS
XANADU NEXT
(Shadowbringers would also be on there be I've lumped FFXIV expansions together)

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I'll forever remember 2022 as the year that watch_dogs (2013) was ranked #1.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Finally was able to read the final list! Thanks for quoting me a lot! Loved writing the lists and seeing everyone and of course the fun countdown.

Elden Ring being crowned GOTY not only makes sense but was an inevitability. The standard for AAA games was absolutely raised this year and despite a loud minority of people on here hating on it (and other from soft games) you cannot deny it’s greatness. From top to bottom the game was a delight and a transcendent experience. This is the game we all wanted after first playing dark souls in 2011 (or the lucky people who experienced demons souls years prior on ps3).

The most satisfying exploration, the most satisfying combat, the most satisfying everything.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
It's going to be really interesting to see Tears of the Kingdom in the context of Elden Ring.

Largely because I'm struck by how so much of the praise I've read for Elden Ring rings very similarly to the praise I read for Breath of the Wild back in 2016.

DMCrimson
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

Natural 20 posted:

It's going to be really interesting to see Tears of the Kingdom in the context of Elden Ring.

Largely because I'm struck by how so much of the praise I've read for Elden Ring rings very similarly to the praise I read for Breath of the Wild back in 2016.

Agreed, both games scratched the same rare world-is-immersive itch that virtually no open world game actually accomplishes. I'm not sure why more games don't mimic BOTW and Elden Ring's combination of self-directed player choice and quiet space between dungeons/towns. I'm hesitant that TotK could be any better than Elden Ring, the bar is set so unbelievably high.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

For those of you who are thinking about becoming Sleepers, note that the game has one more free DLC update to go (should be soon)

The DLC takes the form of quests and NPCs that are directly integrated into the base game that form their own storyline.

I don't think this should stop you from starting right away, but once I realized what was part of the DLC I held off on continuing further with that with the intent of coming back to it once it was all done

The Dark Souls of Posters
Nov 4, 2011

Just Post, Kupo
Citizen Sleeper was my first game of 2023, and it is absolutely special.

wuggles
Jul 12, 2017

CottonWolf posted:

I’d been pondering that too. But I don’t think it has to be. Imagine an scalene triangle with corners A, B and C. Let the distance between A and B be x, B and C be y, and A and C be z, with x < y < z. Then A pairs with B, B pairs with A, and C pairs with B. So the distances commute, but C being closest to B does not imply B closest to C.

Ah, got it. It works that way because not every point in the space is "inhabited" by a poster so to speak. Of the ones that are, it works like you said.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

And the game of the year is:

SNOWRUNNERRRRRR!!

I don’t care about other games anymore

wuggles
Jul 12, 2017

Snowy posted:

SNOWRUNNERRRRRR!!

That's right

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Snowrunner would've made my top 5 if Elden Ring hadn't consumed me last year, they're moving from win to win with that game and it's probably the most ridiculous value in gaming right now, probably 1000 hours to complete everything

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Guessing the thread’s gonna get closed when it reaches p. 69 (a sex number)? Anyone have anything cool to say before then?

The Dark Souls of Posters
Nov 4, 2011

Just Post, Kupo

Snowy posted:

SNOWRUNNERRRRRR!!

That's right

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

exquisite tea posted:

Excellent work CottonWolf, and grats to my gaming twin morallyobjected!

drat, lucky draw! :3:

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

drat my voting buddy is spot on, almost all of the games on bone emulator's list that weren't on mine were ones I've already played and loved in previous years. Only Return to Monkey Island is one I haven't (cause I've never played any of the Monkey Island games).

bone emulator
Nov 3, 2005

Wrrroavr

exquisite tea posted:

I'll forever remember 2022 as the year that watch_dogs (2013) was ranked #1.

It's up there in the Great Moments in GOTY Thread history along with "Someone puts Cyberpunk as their #1 game before it's out"

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Also once again a big thank you to Rarity and Veeg for the thread!

bone emulator
Nov 3, 2005

Wrrroavr

Regy Rusty posted:

drat my voting buddy is spot on, almost all of the games on bone emulator's list that weren't on mine were ones I've already played and loved in previous years. Only Return to Monkey Island is one I haven't (cause I've never played any of the Monkey Island games).

you have great taste

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I can't find it in the thread now, please help!

There was an SRPG that people recommended that wasn't Tactics or Triangle. I think the name started with an S?

E: also would love a Pentiment sixer if it's in the offing!

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Jay Rust posted:

Guessing the thread’s gonna get closed when it reaches p. 69 (a sex number)? Anyone have anything cool to say before then?

GOTY deez nuts

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Jay Rust posted:

Personally I'd hope it gets to 70 so we can say it's the biggest thread yet :unsmith:

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

Subjunctive posted:

I can't find it in the thread now, please help!

There was an SRPG that people recommended that wasn't Tactics or Triangle. I think the name started with an S?

E: also would love a Pentiment sixer if it's in the offing!

Maybe Symphony of War?

If not then I recommend it.

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

I don't care if you're a star, the moon, or the whole damn sky, you need to come back down to earth and remember where you came from

Anno posted:

Maybe Symphony of War?

Yeah Symphony of War is pretty solid. I'd recommend it as well.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Anno posted:

Maybe Symphony of War?

Yes! Thank you!

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

I need to try Symphony of War again, from what I understand the plot is pretty meh but the battles get pretty big and interesting towards the end

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

AceOfFlames posted:

GOTY deez nuts

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Microcline posted:

I think this is the games that got 10 points rather than the games with only one #1 vote. For instance I ranked The Last Spell 9th and sirtommygunn ranked it 3rd which gives a total of 10 points. (how did so few people play it in 2022, the year of the SRPG?) The list I have is:

code:
ANBENNAR
ATELIER SOPHIE 2
CRUSADER KINGS III
DROPSY
EBASEBALL POWERFUL PRO BASEBALL 2022
ECO
FINAL FANTASY X
HALF LIFE
HOT WHEELS: UNLEASHED
LIBRARY OF RUINA
LORDS OF INFINITY
MEGA MAN ROCK N ROLL
MIRROR’S EDGE
OXYGEN NOT INCLUDED
PATHOLOGIC 2
SUPER STREET FIGHTER 2: TURBO
THE BEGINNER'S GUIDE
THIEF II: THE METAL AGE
VANQUISH
VISION SOFT RESET
WATCHDOGS
XANADU NEXT
(Shadowbringers would also be on there be I've lumped FFXIV expansions together)

You’re right. I just looked at my code, and I deleted the only one entry bit and replaced it with points equal to 10 rather than keeping both, when I threw it together.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I am going to call my shot and predict that Final Fantasy XVI will be my GOTY 2023

(I note that the cluster formed by me, ibblekibble, and mamkute seems primarily based on our support of Stranger of Paradise: Final Fantasy Origin lol)

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Trying to call my GOTY for '23 is really hard cause a) I have no idea how much I'll actually game this year and b) nothing coming up on my list is screaming 'certified banger'. If I get far enough I'd say Metroid Prime, if not then it's probably Prince of Persia. Also looking at my list I've got a whole lotta JRPGs coming up, perfect timing for the Year of the JRPG :getin:

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

CDPR’s next unannounced video game is my #1 2023

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
Big contenders for my GOTY 2023 are Breath of the Wild which I *just* got and haven't started yet, Dragon Quest XI, and whatever DLC comes out for Pokemon ScarVio.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

It'd be interesting to see XIV vs XVI if there's an expansion at the end of 2023 but I don't follow the patches etc closely enough to know if they're on schedule for that