Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

ok ok ok here we go i make no promises!!!

first a runner up: Path of Exile, which i am playing right now this weekend, because a new league launched but more importantly a new hard mode launched called Ruthless, which strips back the last 9 years of player power creep and brings the game back to feeling like it did when it first started. a sort of PoE Classic, i'm having a lot of fun with it. good poo poo

10. Not for Broadcast - this is an FMV game where you take on the role of a news channel control room technician, in charge of swapping camera feeds during live broadcasts, picking commercials to air between segments, and the censor button. the gameplay itself is simple, but engaging, and additional mechanics are layered on as the studio upgrades its equipment over time. the real jewel of this game though is the story - this poo poo gets wild. the choices you make during the broadcast and between shows affects what happens to the characters and the world and stuff can escalate quickly. there's something like 14 different endings - there are 2 main factions you can choose to side with, the Advance political party or the Defy rebellion group. I first watched a full playthrough on stream that went all in on Advance, and in my own playthrough i went with Defy the whole way. the difference is pretty dramatic and i was absolutely hooked on both endings. this game goes hard. the FMV acting is better than what you usually see in these kinds of games, but there is definitely a lot of cringe to get through. it's intentionally cringey though and there is a lot of funny stuff as well. the main characters are acted well enough that i was definitely invested in what happened to them. good poo poo

https://i.imgur.com/nM8N5O3.mp4
9. Lost Ark - this is probably the best korean style MMO i've ever played. the gameplay is a lot of fun, and there is an absolute loving shitload of content for any level of player, from simple collectathon stuff to full on super hardcore raiding. the story is actually pretty good too! it does a lot of very dramatic cutscene stuff that you hardly ever see in isometric games, with big swooping camera angles and stuff, that is a lot of fun to watch. good poo poo

8. Monster Hunter Rise: Sunbreak - sunbreak fixed a lot of the complaints i had about base Rise, added quite a few new monsters, had a SICK AS HELL final boss fight, and added a pretty good endgame grind. they made lance good again. good poo poo

7. Final Fantasy XIV: Endwalker - this is still one of my top 2 favorite games of all time, and the patch content this year has been great. island sanctuary is awesome, the MSQ is amazing as always, and i'm not completely burnt out on raiding yet. good poo poo

https://i.imgur.com/vYomVFC.mp4
6. Stray - i did not take any screenshots of Stray so here is a video of my cat. his name is kirby. stray is not about kirby, but it is a game about a cat, and a lil robot, and helping both of them find their home. it was short, but very sweet, and i had virtually no complaints about it. good poo poo

https://i.imgur.com/k8W3jl2.mp4
5. Tekken 7 - i am an absolute idiot and i should not be playing PVP games because it gives me extreme anxiety, but T7 has been the kindest fighting game to me so far. what does that really mean exactly, i'm not entirely sure, but i feel good about my skill level and that's not something i can say about the others i've played. i feel like i have a much better grasp on how to play and i can keep up with what's happening on screen a lot better and actually execute my moves and combos most of the time. and those moves look fuckin sick. good poo poo

https://i.imgur.com/HOuLfMb.mp4
4. Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen - i actually managed to get through the extremely bad first part of this game and i got to see why people love this game. it's so goddamn janky but full of heart and silliness and it's a true classic. i get to clamber all over big monsters like a little bug and stab the poo poo out of them, i get to kill god, and my pawn brought me back an extra god-killing sword so at the end of the game i had two of them. good poo poo

https://i.imgur.com/wXOcaxD.mp4
3. Tiny Tina's Wonderlands - this is borderlands but fantasy, which means it's way more fun and interesting than regular borderlands. guns are boring. magic is always cooler than guns. so now you have magic, and magic guns, and guns that shoot giant anchors as rockets. the story was pretty good, there was a lot of good humor of course, and the best Mister Torgue scene they've ever made. he finally got to blow up the ocean. good poo poo

2. Valheim - the late entry coming in hot with an extremely cool update in the Mistlands. it's a very spooky new biome which like most biomes in this game is super scary at first, and corpse runs are a nightmare, but when you finally get the various pieces together to unlock the items you need to progress, in this case a big fuckin crossbow, a magic featherfall cape, and magic spells so you can become a fuckin' WIZARD, it becomes much easier to get around and deal with the enemies. my friends and i just beat the boss and i had a blast. being a wizard is loving awesome. good poo poo

https://i.imgur.com/pMRdFFH.mp4
1. Warhammer 40k: Darktide - this game came out and i played nothing else for 3 weeks straight. holy gently caress this game is fun. it's vermintide 2 but in 40k, you can be a zealot or a psyker but most importantly you can be an ogryn, and it's the best. you can be 4 ogryns. ogryns don't know how to use grenades, so they just throw the whole box instead. the game is not perfect, it's not completely finished, but i don't care. this is probably the most fun i've had based on pure gameplay in a long time. good poo poo

Kerrzhe fucked around with this message at 09:01 on Dec 29, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

if i owned a playstation i would have put GoW on my list

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

that is a very cool bird wizard.

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

Darke GBF posted:

GUNTANK WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

Rianlee posted:

1. No Man's Sky: It let me do whatever I wanted whenever I wanted, which was (and is) important to me in these circumscribed times.

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

attn: Rarity, i have updated my post with a hot hot late entry. Valheim knocks out Dinkum and snags the number 2 spot! i'm a fuckin wizard!! no one can stop me!!!!!

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

Manoueverable posted:

2. Guilty Gear -Strive-. I've played a lot of fighting games casually on and off, but never really got above a bronze level in ranked before 2021. Part of this is because fighting games have, historically, had dogshit online play. Without any real knowledge of a local scene I could play in, I relied on the few scraps of meaningful online play I could find. I was also mostly a Street Fighter person and never had much interest in the anime games: a lot of them had combo strings way too complex for my puny brain. Guilty Gear was especially intimidating because every character in +R and Xrd has so many options that understanding what I should be doing at a basic level is exhausting. But I got access to the open beta once Arcsys announced rollback netcode for Strive. I played it, and I liked it. I really, really liked it. On release, I played it nearly every day for 2-3 months straight. I learned more, I played more, I got better. The simplified nature of the game, which some old heads say makes it "not real GG," was ironically what I needed to finally, finally sink my teeth into a genre that I love and wish got more shine. I got enough motivation to finally make the jump.

For a literal decade, I watched Evo at home. I never felt anywhere near good enough to compete at that level, but this felt like a now-or-never kind of experience. I registered and expected to walk in, play 30 minutes or so, go 0-2, and float around playing casual sets or gambling some money for the rest of the weekend. I played, and lost the first game of my first match. Okay, I said, trying to readjust my expectations, I just want to win one game. Then I did. And I won the next game. And the next game. And the next match. And the match after that, too. Even though I lost my fourth match, I was playing with house money. I won again, and as everyone else at the table was leaving, I won one more time. The bracket runner put the sheet in front of me and told me to take a picture, that I'd be playing the next day, and it didn't hit me until he said "Congratulations": I made it out of my pool at Evo. Strive gave me the tools to finally learn and succeed beyond my wildest dreams at something I thought I'd never be good at; for that, I'm grateful. And coming home from Evo, I started playing my Game of the Year:

hell yeah dude that is awesome. congrats

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

Tulip posted:

Furi is so loving good, I still regularly listen to the soundtrack and the next game by that studio, Haven, rapidly jumped into a fav of mine despite having zero in common in terms of mechanics, being only similar in aesthetics and storytelling.

Genuinely I love the story telling in Furi on top of it having just incredible mechanics.

what is the next game by that studio??

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

Papes posted:

I intended to put much more effort into this, but am still recovering from being sick with covid. Please don't crusify me for not having cool gifs.

i hope you feel better soon! cool gifs not required!!

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

if anyone is going to start up elden ring don't pick the bandit as your starting class like i did. it's probably the reason i soured on the game so early. pick a better class!

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

i wish people would post at least what game each link is from so it's not an endless sea of inscrutable youtube links :( (i want to make sure i dont post something that has already been posted/i want to see if anyone else posts anything from games that i played)

here's mine:

Warhammer 40k: Darktide - IMMORTAL IMPERIUM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w5ozcKqF4E8

Kerrzhe fucked around with this message at 07:16 on Jan 2, 2023

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

xoFcitcrA posted:

*goes to options menu for the first time in 13 years, turns on embedding*

Huh. Has that always been there?

there's an options menu??

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

guys i still don't know where the options menu is to turn on embeds!! i am serious!!

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

A Bystander posted:

Edit Options > scroll down to Thread View Options > Show video embeds with [video] tag? option set to yes/no.

i don't see Edit Options anywhere....... :negative:

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

A Bystander posted:

Between Private Messages and Forum Rules up top and down below.

okay this took me a minute and it is slightly embarrassing but i actually adblocked a bunch of things at the top and bottom so that "User Control Panel" stays in the middle where i am used to it being lol

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

An Actual Princess posted:

insanely hype for this. base building rts games need to come back

has there even been a single good one since starcraft 2 wings of liberty

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

JollyBoyJohn posted:

starcraft 2: hearts of the swarm and starcraft 2: legacy of the void

drat he got me. i did like those campaigns (except the epilogue, lol)

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

only one of my games made it into the top 75, so i continue the tradition of only enjoying things other people don't like

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

Regy Rusty posted:

?? It looks like Stray, Endwalker, and Sunbreak are all in the top 75.

look there's also a chance that i'm very stupid

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

here is that video of my cat, in case anyone wanted to see it again:

https://i.imgur.com/vYomVFC.mp4