Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
Orcs must die is super loving good. I really enjoyed 1&2 but when I tried to play 3 multiplayer it didn't work at all so I haven't tried it otherwise. 1&2 are well, well worth playing. I like the idea, too. The super powerful wizard has a dumb as rocks jock apprentice, and said wizard is in charge of keeping the orcs out of the rifts or whatever that lead to humanity. Wizard trips and dies in the intro so it's all up to the apprentice to save the world. In #2 he's joined by a witch or sorceress of some kind. It's an fps tower defense, You play the same level one or two times trying to get the trap placement correct, level up existing traps or buy more traps, and kill lots and lots of orcs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum

lunar detritus posted:

Huh, I got the complete opposite from it. I absolutely loved the one playthrough I finished but most of my interest was seeing what was going to happen. Once you get past that awesome "boss" event, there's nothing new to see.

Agreed. I played this war of mine a zillion times, and was so hyped for frostpunk which I played about three times, and will never play again.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum
I wasn't able to play a lot of games this year due to kids and my wife working some weekends. I've finished most of these!

Bad game award: I played cult of the lamb on switch and will probably finish it since I'm close to the end and the combat is fun enough, but the base building sucks and this should not have been released on switch at all. Too many slowdowns, the hardware is not powerful enough (I played docked, with the latest patch). Bad effort!

10: A Plague Tale: Innocence: This is a fantastic, beautiful, atmospheric game. It's not too hard and the combat is fun. I'm about 4/5ths of the way through and might finish it this year but probably not. I love it.

9: Bayonetta 1: I bought b3 and decided to play through 1 and 2 first and haven't finished 2 again. 1 is such an amazing game! The combat feels so great and the plot is really dumb and fun. I wasn't sure if it'd hold up but it did. I might have rated it higher if I'd played it on my old xbox where I'd unlocked all of the poo poo, but I gave that away so my run had nothing unlocked.

8: Mario Odyssey: I got my son into playing games (he's 4) and he got REALLY into this one. At first I had to do everything for him but about a month or two later he was able to do about 3/4 of the stuff I'm able to do, and beat bosses on his own etc. It's a great game! I played it myself a few years ago and thought 'eh' but it's grown on me since, and I didn't do any of the extra stuff last time, but this time I've seen most of the content. Great game, not best game.

7: FF7R: Yuffie DLC: My notes for this just say: "fun, short", both of which are plus points for me these days, especially 'short'. More FF7R, which was a great game.

6: Horizon: Forbidden West: This game was fun, beautiful, and had lots of great moments in it (the tomb of Ted Faro! Las Vegas!) and I spent ages playing it, and enjoying all of it.

5: Hitman 2: These are great games that are interesting to play, look great, really atmospheric and give you interesting rewards which make future playthroughs different. I spent a lot of time playing this, and commented (To some people's shock) in the hitman thread 'these games feel like going on holiday'. They do! It's been great to explore exotic locales from the comfort of my own home.

4: Mario 3d World + Bowser's Fury: I started on Bowser's Fury because that's the one my son wanted to see. He calls it 'Boss Fight'. This is the first game I ever played with him so there's that, but also it's just so great! Lots of little islands that are all fun and short and mostly not too hard platforming challenges! loving awesome! I finished this one and loved it, then we recently started on 3d world itself which is great too, but I've played a lot less of it. This is worth it and deserves this ranking just for Bowser's fury alone.

3: Hitman 1: My intro to the hitman games (after bouncing off the original, over 20 years ago) and gently caress it's good. All of what I said for #2, but it started with #1 so I count it as better.

2: Returnal: Hard, great, atmospheric, pretty, fun! I played this game solidly for about a month when I got the ps5 and it was well worth it. In the end I unlocked the secret ending etc and it probably took me about 50+ deaths before I finished the game the first time. I'm not particularly good at games so it was frustrating sometimes but ultimately doable. I loved the plot, the music, and the gameplay. I thought it was going to be my game of the year when I played it in Feb or March, but then out of the blue came:

1: Xenoblade 3: IDK what my exact top 3 JRPGs are (ff7, ff7r, ff8, Persona 4/5), but this is in my top 3 JRPGs of all time. What a great game. The characters, plot (I played most of xc1 and none of xc2), combat, exploration, scenery, music, villains, were all fantastic. I did most of the side quests even, and didn't want this game to end. I played this game solidly for over a month, it's a longass game but I enjoyed every minute of it. If you're on the fence: play it. I suppose the thing that stands out the most is the characters, their development and what happens to them throughout the course of the game. YOU MUPPET!
LISTEN TO THE CHAIN ATTACK MUSIC https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QDd6PFIhHeo

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum

Roth posted:

Also I beat Guardian Ape on my first try and I'm proud of it.

Congratulations!

I tried for two full evenings, for some reason I was dodging instead of blocking, and god drat that little slide he does loving sucks. I still haven't finished the last boss because I no longer try, but at least I finally beat the guardian ape as well as the boogaloo version.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum
I remember spending like 2-3 hours on portal 2, over ten years ago and not playing more of it. Looks like that needs to be remedied!

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum
A lot of the triangle strategy votes seemed to be like 'this is long-winded' and 'this game was fairly ok I suppose' so I'm surprised it's doing so well. What's the main draw? It's like when people say "dragon quest 12 (or whatever) is like comfort food, nothing special, no surprises, nothing new" then it came pretty high on the list.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum

Harrow posted:

It's long-winded, but the story's really good and also a lot of the game mechanics are about the story (there's a pretty in-depth persuasion system that determines what routes you take that is fun to play with). And the tactical combat is really good.

Similarly, saying Dragon Quest is "comfort food" is a compliment from Dragon Quest fans, not a criticism. It's a warm hug of a game series so if you hear someone call it a comfort food game, it's doing exactly what it was designed to do.

I played the dragon quest demo and got to the big city, did stuff there, left, and decided it wasn't interesting. Does it get interesting after that or is it all the same? I love JRPGs but that one didn't grab me, really.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum
well. I forgot to put elden ring on my list as the #1 game (it wasn't even on my list, lol, but it would have been #1) and I'm glad it didn't suffer for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum

Songbearer posted:

I'll give some postlist props to Vampire Survivors which I've been playing over the last few days, I can easily see why people like it so much since it's a straight up dopamine factory. I can't help feeling used by it after I'm done playing though.

All games are ways of killing time, let's not kid ourselves, but VS feels almost especially egregious for how easily it sucks time away without really leaving any lasting impression other than the sensation that I just popped a load of bubblewrap over the course of three hours. It's definitely not as stupid as it looks and there's a level of challenge there, but man is it like eating a bag of raw sugar in game form.

I started playing it last night and I think I'm stopping playing it today. I have so many other games to play and while this one is fun, all of what you said is true. I feel like I wasted 2 gaming sessions basically. It was fun but I don't really feel like I achieved anything. I might play this during lunch breaks or something but the sessions are pretty long (at this point, 27-30.01 minutes for me generally) and all that happens is some numbers go up.