Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

Been playing this for the last couple days and am already up to 16THF/10WAR/10MNK. I've already seen a few names I recognize from those servers.

For those new to this game one thing needs to be clear: this game is about helping other people with no expectation of benefit to yourself. Without that, it doesn't function.

I've had 75 cap characters on retail and Nasomi so I'm pretty good at starting out fresh. The starting areas here are more like Nasomi and a bit more forgiving XP-wise than old retail. I recommend sticking in the starting areas (this being W/E Ronfraure and King Ranperre's if you're SD) until at least 12 and one or two shotting anything that checks as easy. Typically you want to avoid anything that checks DC and above as your xp/hour will suffer. However, you sometimes need those slightly higher level mobs for combat skillups, which are critical in this game. This server does have empress/emperor bands, you buy them with conquest points from a gate knight, equip it, then use it like an item to give a small xp bonus. The bands can be recharged once a week (presumably, I haven't got all the rules of this server down yet). I have yet to join a party and am almost 17, while this was possible on old retail it would take forever.

For making money check every single drop you get on the auction house. This game always had a fantastic economy based around crafting, when the population is high it works very well because the items farmed by the newest players (not all the items, some are junk and just aren't used for crafting skillups or items) are still needed by high level crafters or high level players getting into crafting. Some are just better off being sold to an npc, especially since this server limits to 5 or 6 AH slots. I've only been playing a couple days but have up to date gear for my level. There are also several one-time quests like the Drain spell quest...if you're not going to be a DRK or BLM you can safely sell the scroll. Same thing for Utsusemi and ninja....but trust me you'll want that. You'll also make more money soloing, always. Partying in this game does not make you money, the opposite actually. You are expected to bring food and consumables.

Anyway I used to have an encyclopedic knowledge of this game. Most has been lost to time but the muscle memory is still there. My characters name is Gweenz. Shoot me a message if you see me on, I'd be interested in a goon LS.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

Rynoto posted:

There's also the Chariot band which has been heavily buffed on this server. Recharging rings is once per conquest cycle (week) by trading it to a gate guard which deducts CP per charge recharged.

You can get a free exp ring from a short beginner's quest which only requires getting to ~lv4 which saves you a decent chunk of beginning conquest points.

I'll add onto the other advice posted by saying that some quests require regional reputation levels which is gained through questing. Don't try and do this through normal quests and instead buy Millioncorn off the vendor for a Selbina quest which gives both Bastok and Sandy (and Jeuno) rep while doing Cornettes in Windurst which gives Windy, Kazham, and Jeuno fame.

A side effect of having more reputation is that most things cost cheaper from vendors, sometimes significantly, which can be useful for reselling to the AH or just for grinding.

Good to know this, thanks!

The millioncorn quest is a big one, give that inbred yokel all the corn he will take. It's cheap and you can bring a few stacks with you when you are in Valkurm for xp parties. The rep you get from that quest opens up other quests that lead to scrolls you can use or sell. There is a way to check this reputation by talking to an NPC somewhere.

E: I also forgot about that cornettes one. Like most I always roll SD I bet there are very few people in the windurst starting areas farming these and silk.

Gorson fucked around with this message at 14:37 on Mar 7, 2023

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

Haven't partied yet, please tell me people skillchain and MB on this server :pray:

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

Jazerus posted:

uhh you have 21 AH slots per character, 3 character slots, so 63 AH slots total. it's not a huge concern although you definitely can fill them up if you're a crafter

Oh I was putting a few things on the ah and got some error message, figured I was hitting an ah limit.

Good to hear people actually skillchain on this server it makes partying so much more fun.

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

I forgot how good this game looks with the resolution cranked at 60fps. I also forgot just how much the sand of Valkurm will try to burn your eyeballs out.

I'm in Selbina trading corn, if anyone is willing to come down I could use some SJ items.

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

r0rb posted:

I tried to play (first time ever) yesterday but I couldn't get the game to recognize my controller and oh boy did playing with a mouse feel bad. Anyone use an X-Box Elite for this game? Is there a different way to configure the controller other than through the option on the launcher?

Try selecting this option and then configuring to your liking:

Then when you get in game reverse the camera x/y in the in game config menu

I can still play a mean THF even with crap gear @21

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

Rynoto posted:

And make sure to join the LS! We're very helpful and not at all insane.

I think it's important to emphasize this. No elitists here, no weirdos. Play game, get gil and levels, ask for help and get it. Get your feelings back (does anyone remember those?) by helping out others.

We've been making good progress, knocking out some of the early stuff and making gil. The same money making activities still work here. Best advice I can give for brand new people is don't even bother leaving the area right next to the starting city until after level 10, and I mean right next to the gate. 1-10 was always the most boring part of the game and very slow in old retail, the devs of this server recognized that most of us don't really need to go through that again. Beat on mobs for 30xp per until level 10, take the drops and sell them, take another job to 10, rinse repeat. This will build up combat skills, money, and level up the jobs you'll need as subjobs for later. I got BST to 11 in about 45 minutes. What slows down xp is long fights, resting, and dying.

Freakazoid_ posted:

Decided to give this server a whirl for the nostalgia rush... except they completely butchered the music! It sounds like they passed midi arrangements of the original through some software to make them sound more orchestrated. Is there a way to get the original music back??

Yeah I'm 50/50 here, some of it is good some of it not. How dare they touch the Zitah music!

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

Most parties will SC and MB which is great. Faster XP, more fun.

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

As someone who has been left behind on CoP before (due to my own laziness) and have had to pub group to get caught up I'd like to get started on CoP soon. The first promies are capped at 30 so it can be done while leveling. People vastly overestimate the difficulty of CoP content because of bad experiences with pub groups. As long as we have the most important positions taken care of we can fill in DD with pubbies if needed. Right now I have thf/nin but will have war and nin soon.

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

Rynoto posted:

With the current LS members we would have PLD, WHM, RDM/BLM/SMN, and 2x THF able to do the basic promies so could go for it this weekend.

I could probably get war to 30 if I pushed it, war/nin used to decimate everything in there, not sure if it does here. Otherwise I've got thf/nin.

Elvaan RSE at Ordelles runs tomorrow starting at noon. I already got one key ahead of time, I'll be running this tomorrow. if any elves wants to come in for RSE or for a key for later you're welcome to join. Minimum to fight the key mobs is 25ish with a party and sneak/invis needed to get there.

Horizon timer, RSE calendar at the bottom:

https://www.pyogenes.com/ffxi/timer/v2.html

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

We are tentatively planning some hot hot promy action today, if you have any interest in this message me, Revanchism, or Doctorwizard.

People are saying either Gust Slash or Wasp Sting are best now but I've been getting the best results with Viper:

0/1:

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

LB1 completed @42. A good way to get this done is watch for people shouting for bodies for The Garbage Citadel since 4 people are needed to open the gate. The drop rates are soooo much better on this server we went 3/8 on liches.

Some gunes managed to gather enough animas for Promy runs so we can start those as soon as everyone is ready.

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

PrinnySquad posted:

And here I've been just shouting for a LB1 group like a fool.

I've seen a couple groups looking for bodies in the last two days. If you need someone let me know.

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

First 3 promys completed. We ate dirt on the first fight vs. Holla due to some really bad rng, immediately using his drain tp move that took our melee-heavy party dps down to near zero. We switched it up and kited him which wound up being slow but safe. We then kited down Mea and Dem with very little drama. If your party is having an issue with these fights suggest a kite strat.

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

r0rb posted:

Anyone have any gil making tips? I just started playing this game for the first time last weekend, and have leveled rdm up to 30, but these spell costs are breaking me. I have been fishing up moat carp which gets around 30k in 2 hours or so but that doesn't last long, and my gear is falling behind because of spell scroll costs.

Hmm yeah you're just hitting 30 so I bet you're looking at that Dispel price. Everything is pretty wildly priced on this server, it's likely due to a high population so things should level out a bit as more people get to 75 and are able to farm those spells. Right now you've got high levels gouging on items so they can afford the big 3-5M+ items for themselves. Gear isn't too important for a rdm, you try to get as much MND and INT as you can but I wouldn't go crazy trying to get +1 gear for that. Before you buy any spell off the AH check a wiki to see where it comes from, there's a chance it might be either a farmed or quested item. This game is kinda weird in that some of the items you want at 30 might come from a much higher level mob you would have no hope in killing yourself. We'd be happy to help you get some of those things.

FYI, dispel drops from a level 30 BCNM that is very easy to do, but the drop rate on it is crap. I got it yesterday while trying to get Bounding Boots.

PrinnySquad posted:

If you're looking for an immediate cash infusion, non repeatable quest rewards tend to sell pretty well. Warp 1/2 and Teleport scrolls, RSE, Aspir etc. Of course that means you'll either need to buy them for yourself later if you intend on using them. But with sneak/invis it's one way to keep your momentum by doing fairly trivial quests for stuff you only might need later. Patient fishing will be serviceable and generally more advisable in the long run though.

Yep this right here. Best example I can think of this is the Utsusemi:Ichi and other Norg ninja scroll quests. They're extremely popular and go for high money on the auction because nearly everyone levels ninja to 37 as a sub, and the only way to get Utsusemi:Ichi is via quest line. However if you're not going to level ninja, or do it later, you can unlock those quests by gaining Norg fame by trading around 100 zinc ores to a NPC in Bastok. Current price of zinc is around 2500/stack of 12 so it would cost you around 20-25k for the ores. You'll also need a Kaz airship pass to get there (we can help with this you'll definitely want it either way). Seems like a big investment, but current price of Ichi is 150k on the AH and rising. Hojo: Ichi is 40k, Jubaku 30k, Kurayami 20k, Tonko 30k. With sneak and invis you can get all of these without fighting a single mob, and one of us can show you where to go. Just keep in mind that if you do level ninja the Ichi scroll is necessary, the others not so much.

Fangthane posted:

If you're some kind of wacky extrovert, I understand a great way to make some fast gil is forming mining alliances. You go to the mines north of Bastok and get 18 buddies to take a node or two each. When you mine a node, it repops instantly elsewhere. By making a group you cut the travel time to 0 and just bounce nodes between each other. Everyone wins, but you need to invest in the mining gear to make it worth while and cut down on picks breaking. I am personally not an extrovert so I just sit and fish until my inventory is full for the auction house then go to bed.

Yep. Some of the mining areas in this game are based around group mining. However if you don't want to go this route go to Yughotti Grotto, it has the same level mobs as Palborough Mines but is far less spread out and much easier to mine on your own. If there are other miners there, form a loose alliance with them to split up the whole area into sections (they'll call them room 1-5, left to right on the map) which saves you from covering the whole area. Miners in this game are typically very friendly to each other. If we get more people together, we can hit places like Oldton and Ifrit's and cover every point and you never have to move. The time of day is also everything here, during prime times these places are packed. You'll have to be a little careful in Yug because the mobs will aggro up to level 34 or so, but there are many zones to ditch aggro. Or kill them and make xp and money.

Anyway this is turning into an effortpost so short answer is join our LS and we're happy to help or answer questions. I have a whole bunch of ways of making money. I've done them all (except fish. I don't fish).

Lieutenant Centaur posted:

IUnfortunately, I called it quits today as I can't really devote any more time or energy to the game and I'm too old for the grind. Join the goon LS, Gweenz and Revanchism are really cool dudes who will help out if you need anything. Gonna miss playing with you guys but the last month has been awesome. Kill those mobs and happy leveling!

Sorry to see you go, without the nostalgia it can be tough to get hooked into this game. My best advice for anyone new to it is just take your time and don't get caught up in trying to have the best of everything. I have a feeling there are a whole bunch of players here that have never left a city and just craft or fish. If you want to experience more of the game (but not really in the way it was originally intended) consider leveling BST.

Gorson fucked around with this message at 12:37 on Mar 29, 2023

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

Kongming posted:

I'm a staunch opponent of selling any quested spell scrolls. The allure is strong but you might just end up screwing yourself over later. Watch yourself spend that 150k in 5 minutes and now you're totally boned if you want to level NIN down the line.

My honest to god advice is get THF to at least 15 and find something easy to farm. Beehive chips drop like crazy if you have TH and they sell well. I just kill crawlers and bees in Sarutabaruta if I need an emergency cash infusion, but I also have crafting to fall back on. But I'm considering going all-in on fishing right now, as my crafts are not selling well lately. I just throw on some old MST3K episodes and fish for a while.

Yup fully agree here. Only do it if you are 100% sure you aren't going to level those jobs, which is a really difficult thing to know. Typically the value of the quested scrolls increase as the server ages and fewer new players are created and leveled that can do those quests the one time. For example Drain is going for a paltry 23k right now while in a few months or a year it could be three to four times that.

One of the best parts of mining or farming is it sells really quickly. When you're new this is what you want. Logging is another good option, elm logs are going for 3700 each and you can get them in Ghelsba.

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

Things are definitely trending downwards. I'll use the Emp Pin as an example because it's such a known quantity:

2 things in play here:

1. The demand for this item decreases as more people have already purchased it or got the rare/ex from the BCNM.

2. The supply increase from the sheer number of thf/bsts who are at a level capable of camping it (lol seriously go out there and look)

There are currently 9 up and what you see are the campers becoming increasingly intent on selling as fast as possible and undercutting each other before the price really drops. When the price drops to a certain point they'll all sell out and the price will probably then increase a bit, but it's a downward spiral until the price stabilizes.

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

Fangthane posted:

Just had another dude tell me "no /nin for a DRK is understandable". I was talking about it in the linkshell earlier but it just makes very little sense compared to leaning into my strengths. The bonus to survival can be compensated for with third eye and some awareness of aggro (which means I have to pull my punches but whatever). It just seems silly that this minority of people is saying this is the way when every guide and advice I've ever read says differently. I'll stay the course and if it costs me a group here and there so be it. There will be others.

I'm guessing your healer said that. Some people just expect DRKs to take one for the team and die, some see DRK death as a sign of player not doing what they're supposed to. It happens (especially in endgame), but in reality deaths in a pickup party are not good for the flow of xp and and player stress levels. Healers stress out when they see melees go in the red. Some people are drawing their information from NA launch and their experiences playing to 75 cap (me), some people are drawing from their experiences playing retail when the cap was 99 (not me), some are pulling information from guides or from other private servers like Eden and Wings. On this version of the game I'm finding TP gain is most important because with the bonuses to magic bursts parties are looking to skillchain. This means prioritizing accuracy over straight damage and keeping the mob pasted in place so the WS's don't get thrown off or get the black mage killed. Thfs are really good here and having a good thf and a good tank is going to make far more of a difference than any sub you choose. You can help out your thf and tank as much as possible but for the most part they control the fights. /SAM /THF /WAR /NIN all have their uses, but /nin sub here is definitely the weakest I've seen in any version of this game. If a mob uses an aoe tp move and wipes your shadows then spins on you /nin sub is virtually useless and you're dead. But against single targeting slow hitting mobs like crabs it can work pretty well and the thf can SATA on you (but probably shouldn't). /NIN was not widely used in 75 cap retail and that is where it would have been strongest, hell even aoe moves and spells didn't wipe shadows on NA launch that was added later as a nerf to ninja.

If you're paying attention to and managing your own hate level you are way way beyond the effort most damage dealers put into the game. Just ignore the gripers and subjob consultants and if it gets to be too much just ask for a replacement. I'd much rather play with players who are friendly and putting some effort in over a Type A who is looking to maximize xp at the cost of people's stress level.

Gorson fucked around with this message at 14:07 on Apr 3, 2023

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

I've had people tell me that Viper Bite doesn't stack with SATA, so I fire off a 700 Viper Bite and ask them how it could possibly do so much damage if it doesn't stack. No answer but they did double down on their claim. Not backing down in the face of overwhelming evidence, not sure what more I can do there.

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

bird. posted:

Wait is there a goon community now for this game I can play w/? I got thief up to about as far as you could go singleplayer but struggled to find other players

Welcome to the LS! Consider soloing all the way to 20 or so and avoiding the early party experience which might give you a very bad impression of the game in general. My advice for a new brand new thf (and this is against the meta for sure but was commonly used back in retail) is to sub MNK:

1. You're poor! Weapons are expensive on this game but hand-to-hand weapons are always very cheap.

2. You're not level 30 yet. /NIN is arguably the "best" for tp generation and utility, especially if you're pulling, but until you get 30 it's locked. Subbing /MNK gives you Boost, Martial Arts (increases speed of hand to hand attacks), Subtle Blow (fewer enemy TP moves) and Counter at MNK 10. That is a crazy good set of abilities at low level for both solo and party xp.

3. Combo stacks with Sneak Attack and Boost. Go back a page or two to see one of my combos even in crap gear.

4. It's just fun. You get to beat on things with your fists and play with a bunch of abilities at a low level. It makes the job feel more "advanced".

As you get closer to 25/30 it does begin to lose effectiveness because of THF's E rating in hand-to-hand, but this isn't an issue when soloing or in parties at lower levels. This said, it's always best to have both dagger and sword leveled because some parties will want to skillchain off them. You'll want to switch entirely to dagger by 30 if not a little earlier.

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

Freakazoid_ posted:

I guess it's not unexpected to run into grognards on a retro private server, but my experience with them has been minimal so far. I run a war/thf and nobody has given me poo poo for my gear choice. I literally went 32 levels without any earrings, belt or cape. I did keep my weapon and armor reasonably up to date.

For the most part I just hit thing hard from behind and skillchain. Nobody cared that I didn't eat food or didn't swap gear mid fight, in fact I have yet to see ANY of the latter. Somebody started caring not long after I began eating food (mid 30's, cheap +str meat) and they told me to eat a different food (expensive +acc sushi). They gave me half a stack of theirs.

There was one time I was asked to pre-tank, basically just start with provoke on a pull until the thief positions themselves behind the real tank to do their trick attack thing, it's supposed to displace the aggro the thief would've done onto the main tank. It sort of worked I guess, but the actual tank could've just plain old tanked and I don't think anything would've been different.

The human RSE gear would be good for you. They are 4 pieces that are easily quest-able at your level, and if you don't want them or outgrow them they sell for a good amount on the AH.

https://ffxiclopedia.fandom.com/wiki/Custom_Armor_Set_(Hume_Male)

Those hands are extremely good for you and the body is too. The other two not as much but could be kept for a caster or just sold on the AH. According to the timer male Hume starts in about 14 hours and is in Ordelles which I've always found easiest:

https://www.pyogenes.com/ffxi/timer/v2.html

I can help you with those if you want, I like doing RSE. The key mobs you need to kill in Ordelles will check EP at the highest to you.

On the pre-tanking thing, this is to help your THF do maximum damage and keep hate pasted on the tank, but it's highly dependent on the tank not being the first one to provoke or spam hate abilities until you can setup for the SATA (Sneak Attack + Trick Attack). It has to be done as quickly as possible, so if you are provoking first do it quickly then position the mob in front of you and don't move. The tank should move quickly to the opposite side of you. The rest is on the thf, if he pre-SATA'd he will move behind the tank, engage auto attack, and his first hit will apply all the hate on the tank who then provokes and the fight starts. The thf might be skillchaining with someone and waiting on his tp or his SC partner's tp, so some fights you might be getting beat on at the start. This would be a good time to engage Defender and drop Berserk if it is up. Again as long as you provoked quickly and positioned yourself quickly you've done all you can and it's up to the thf and tank. There are other times where the thf will want to SATA onto you mid-fight. This isn't exactly ideal but sometimes how the thf's timing works out, so be ready for it. Incidentally this is the reason many warriors sub /nin, it's less damage overall but very good at mitigating damage at the start of the fight. When you have a thf in your party, always stand opposite the tank unless you are not the SATA partner, in that case you want to stack on the tank so your high damage doesn't spin the mob towards you. The thf has to be behind the mob for his SATA to apply.

E: THF gets assassin at 50 on this server, after that it gets less complicated.

Gorson fucked around with this message at 13:21 on Apr 4, 2023

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

r0rb posted:

I'm 40 on bst now and last night was my window for RSE so I did some spelunking in Gusgen mines and got all 4 pieces. Was pretty awesome getting 4 great pieces of gear for about 2 hours of work. Are there any other cool quests like that which are pretty rewarding? I know there are class artifact armor quests that I can get started on soon.

Here's one (e: Tenshodo Rep 4 needed):

https://ffxiclopedia.fandom.com/wiki/Faded_Promises

Also if you have not done it yet every job gets an AF weapon at level 40, they used to be bad but some have been buffed on this server. Doing this quest unlocks the other AF quests at 50:

https://ffxiclopedia.fandom.com/wiki/Wings_of_Gold

Gorson fucked around with this message at 13:56 on Apr 7, 2023

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

I'm getting some CoP content done, currently on 4-2. This content seems to have been tuned down a bit but it's hard to remember. 2-5 was very easy, the Minotaur here isn't much stronger than the other IT taurs around the area. 3-3 is mostly just running around with the climb up the mountain being exactly as ridiculous as I remember, but you do get 30 minutes to do it. Diabolos was also quite easy, setup was pld mnk mnk thf bst (me) and whm. Not exactly ideal without a stun but we made it through. Both the mnk's 2 hours were mostly negated by Nightmare. He also spams a sleepga so bring poison potions. The tiles only fell once, I remember this happening more.

Fangthane posted:

But hell it's a video game. Just have fun.

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

PrinnySquad posted:

All very good reasons to coordinate with goons if possible if anyone is looking to burn seals for profit.

I would looove to but going 1/8 on PP, 0/4 on flies (had to pay a caster in the party for their pin drop since I didn't want to keep running it and blowing seals) and 0/4 on UO has destroyed a once proud seal empire.

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

Emp pin by far has the best drop rate I would guess upwards of 25%. I believe my runs went 2/6, 2/4, 4/6 and 3/4. Yeah it can safely be low manned with good players. PCC is around 8-10%, boots about the same I'd say. These should be the rare items and the world items should be rare/ex, and I say this as someone who has made millions in the past camping those NMs.

If anyone wants to run any of these just let me know I'll go along just to help out which saves a bunch of time. They're really easy. However as others have said if you're 40+ spend them all trying to get a PCC before the other two.

Freakazoid_ posted:

Those drop rates sound abysmal. I thought about doing UO for the peacock charm but not anymore! Might as well save them for AA.

As a warrior the boots and pin aren't that great for you, just ok. The PCC is very good and the cost of the rare item is 3M+, I think it's worth at least a few shots at it.

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

Fangthane posted:

I need all of those as well. hard to get a group together for the 3 mans as DRK. everyone wants RDM/RST/SMN.

I've seen some drks run PP along with a bst and a rdm or smn kiter (could also be another bst) and they did just fine, you just have to watch your aggro since bst has trouble getting it back sometimes. We used to run it as war/nin x2 and a kiter with the wars bouncing hate when needed. I've ran it about 20 times here as a bst just helping out others and the only time we came close to losing was when the war/nin and rdm kiter died and I (bst) had to solo the 2nd liz down from 100 to 0 with only a few minutes left. It was close but we pulled it off.

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

1.1 patch notes are out, some very interesting things. They appear to (finally) be trying to make Shuriken a viable option:

quote:

Ninja Shuriken Synthesis Recipes Reworked
The synthesis recipes for all Ninja shurikens have been adjusted. The recipe requirements, materials required, and yields provided are as follows:

• Shuriken
Synthesis Requirements: Smithing 22
Ingredients: 1x Wind Crystal, 1x Iron Sheet, 1x Cotton Thread
Yield:
NQ: Shuriken x33
HQ 1: Shuriken x66
HQ 2: Shuriken x99

• Juji Shuriken
Synthesis Requirements: Smithing 36
Ingredients: 1x Wind Crystal, 1x Steel Sheet, 1x Linen Thread
Yield:
NQ: Juji Shuriken x33
HQ 1: Juji Shuriken x66
HQ 2: Juji Shuriken x99

• Manji Shuriken
Synthesis Requirements: Goldsmithing 41
Ingredients: 1x Wind Crystal, 1x Mythril Sheet, 1x Wool Thread
Yield:
NQ: Manji Shuriken x33
HQ 1: Manji Shuriken x66
HQ 2: Manji Shuriken x99

• Fuma Shuriken
Synthesis Requirements: Smithing 55
Ingredients: 1x Wind Crystal, 1x Darksheel Sheet, 1x Silk Thread
Yield:
NQ: Fuma Shuriken x33
HQ 1: Fuma Shuriken x66
HQ 2: Fuma Shuriken x99

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

If you're going to get into crafting have a long term plan in place ahead of time and be prepared to stick to it. Read the leveling guides, but be prepared to throw half of that information out because most of them were written pre-2010 and based on the more stable and mature economies of those servers. I'm already starting to see most of the higher end items come down in price because of both the farming of the items needed and more crafters reaching the levels needed to craft them.

For people who might be newish to the FFXI economy, the biggest money makers are HQ'ing items like Sniper Rings, Haubergeons, Scorpion Harnesses, and the like. Crafters with maxed skill will buy extremely expensive materials for those items and when they don't get an HQ they lose money....and it's not a little bit. I'll use Sniper Rings as the example because I've been watching the price tumble for a while. Here's the synth:

Earth Crystal

1 x Archer's Ring
1 x Tiger Leather

The cost of the crystal and leather are irrelevant. Regular Sniper Rings currently sell for around 300k ( and dropping fast). The Archer's Ring used to craft it sells for 380k (also dropping, but not quite as fast and was stuck at 480k for a long time). So, each time they don't get a +1 they lose around 100k on each synth. This is no big deal for them because it is only a matter of time and sample size. If you synth 100, or 200....you have a pretty good idea how many +1's you'll get. Sniper Ring +1's sell for 1.8M to 2M.

This is now a game of chicken between the Sniper Ring's crafters, and Archer's Ring farmers. The bigger that loss per synth the less likely a crafter is going to risk it. So predictably Archer's Rings are piling up on the AH and it's only a matter of time before the farmers cave and the archer's price tanks. They'll still buy them, just not at the volume needed to satisfy the farmers.

Literally as I am typing this:

Unless you are an old school NM camper I would not camp them. The people with knowledge of the camps and the correct jobs to camp them will eat your lunch. NM camping is also gambler's mentality; sure you got a drop worth 500k or 1M but how many hours did it take you to get it? How high were your losses (in time). What was the opportunity cost? Consider NM camping to be buying lottery tickets and you get the right idea.

BNCMs are ok for an infusion of cash especially if you're not chasing rare/ex gear (rip me) but I would not count on them as a source of steady money.

Crafting is and always has been the long term cash solution but make sure to stick to it and don't give up halfway. Some crafts can start paying themselves off when you start to hit the 30's others are just money sinks until very late, looking at you GS and BS.

More than anything get levels and rank because it opens up more opportunities.

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

My PCA dropped on the 7th run, pretty merciful all things considered.

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

PrinnySquad posted:

Grats, I've just been plugging all my seals away into AA runs, up to 3 elemental staves so far.

Thanks! Prices on elemental ores are holding steady so you can make some good money on BCNMs. I might keep chasing rare/ex and try to get myself some kotes or fumas. The Beastman Seal timer is reset-able on this server and as far as I know the devs don't care if you abuse it. You can quickly rack up dozens of seals by leveling jobs to 10 right next to the cities.

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

PrinnySquad posted:

Finally got ZM4 done last night. Group was all newbies who had never done it before. Took an hour to get everyone through to the door of the fight, which we cleared in just a few minutes. Everyone was very thankful for guiding them through and made some server buddies :3:

It's smooth sailing from there and can be done in a night with a motivated group. Got my sky access last night.

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

Somewhere in the middle would be good. CoP occasionally suffers from some bad quest design relying on low drop rates to add "challenge". Then instead of making the drop item rare/ex they make it farmable and sellable. I still haven't got the gold key from Louv's path since the last person I asked wanted 50k for one. That's fine, I was starting to get underleveled for CoP and would rather level up and go back and farm one for myself.

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

I've been in a crafting hole, this is my first time really getting into crafting in this game (other than cooking) and I've found it addictive. I've got WW at 60, Alch at 56, Gold 41, leather 35, smith 31, etc. Haven't decided which of those I'll take past 60, but I can make (some) money just by scrounging the AH for low priced mats and crafting them into consumables with a little markup. Still, mining has been my bread and butter. With iron ore stacks holding at 9-10k you can semi-afk yourself to a big chunk of gil, and by getting GS and BS up to 20ish can craft profitable ingots.

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

It's tricky to make steady money in any profession right now considering how wildly material prices are spiking up and down. Having several crafts leveled (without bankrupting myself) gives me some options depending on how prices are spiking. I've started to hit some tall walls on both BS and GS and need to decide whether or not to sink gil into them.

I watched someone craft 8 NQ Sniper Rings in a row with zero HQ's, Archer Rings are 380k Snipers are 250k so that's a loss of 130k per synth plus the other mats. Ouch.

kaempfer0080 posted:

How is Horizon doing? I stopped playing around late March and I'm thinking about logging in again. I've got DRK and SAM at around 60.

It's doing pretty well, there are still some annoying bugs but populations are still regularly over 2k. It's still not easy to make money (that's capitalism/FFXI) but the inflation on certain higher end items is coming down. Hop on and message me if you'd like a shell.

CoP completed and Rajas acquired @ level 69. The 8-4 battle takes place in the best zone in the game, it's so good:

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

Disparition posted:

What difference does the nation make for characters if any?

Bastok is easiest to get around. Windurst is very spread out and a pain to get around the city, but the main reason to not roll Windurst is they never win conquest (because the vast majority choose SanD/Bastok). This matters because the main form of travel is warping from a city to an Outpost, and you can't warp to an outpost until your city controls it and you do a supplies quest to that outpost. It's also much easier to get fame with Bastok and Sandoria. I wouldn't recommend Windurst unless you are nostalgic for it or you just really like the aesthetic.

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

Freakazoid_ posted:

From my perspective having joined around the time you stopped playing, it feels like I just missed the train. There's a bunch of players now who have sky access and getting a 63+ xp group outside of sky is uncommon. I've halted leveling for the past two weeks or so trying to get sky access. I've been stuck on ZM5 for most of that time, having only completed it last night, largely due to a lack of relevant players who need it.

The market fluctuations are pretty annoying, but with higher level gear coming down in price a bit, I expect to grab some of that good stuff pretty soon.

I'll should be around most of the day, if you want to pick a time (ish) we can get sky knocked out for you.

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

Disparition posted:

So far I am doing the quests and exploring the world, any tips for a starter?

Best one I can give, and this is only relative to this server, is to level all the way to 10 on the level 1-2 mobs very near the city gates. On this server you get xp on those all the way to 10, it was not this way in retail. The bees outside bastok drop Wind Crystals so make sure you have signet on and sell those crystals for early cash. Do this with a few of the base jobs and you'll have some gil to start filling in those gear slots. I'd recommend soloing all the way to 15 on the easiest mobs you can kill that still give xp. IMO 0-15 is by far the worst part of the game and the Horizon devs smartly gave us ways to get through it quickly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

Gear in FFXI has always had weird progression and to me it's part of the charm. You get attached to a piece of gear whereas in most games it's replaceable every x number of levels.

Good to see them adding content. One thing I liked on Nasomi was the level capped world dragons that were added.