Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mirello
Jan 29, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
wasn't sure if this fit in other threads so made this one.

just read this article and it made me so angry! https://www.bloomberg.com/news/features/2022-12-12/-teentok-influencers-test-tiktok-s-rules-straining-moderators?srnd=premium

to sum it up, some girl has been exploited for years by her family, posting stuff that's just on the edge of cp. I literally felt nauseous reading this article. I know that there's this "think of the children" argument against this, and kids have always been hosed up, but man, I can't think of another historical time when children have been so sexualized by so much of mass culture. this is just one example, there's countless more. as a teacher, I know what kids are into / watching these days. if you're an average adult, you have no idea how much tiktok has taken over the lives and minds of children in america, and all over the world. it literally defines their lives, much more than tv shows, movies, or video games. every joke, every meme, everything they say is all stuff that was drilled into their brains for every waking moment that they can via tiktok.

I think in a just world/society, people under the age of 18 should not be allowed to have accounts or watch social media. it's only a negative. there are no positives. I mean, ideally it would never have been developed, but that cat's out of the bag.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔

Mirello posted:

wasn't sure if this fit in other threads so made this one.

I can't think of another historical time when children have been so sexualized by so much of mass culture.

bro old men used to marry like 12 year old girls and it was normal

Mirello
Jan 29, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Casey Finnigan posted:

bro old men used to marry like 12 year old girls and it was normal

so that's a reason to accept it now?

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔
no it's just weird to say that the current period is the worst wrt child abuse cause it's not even close

Mirello
Jan 29, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Casey Finnigan posted:

no it's just weird to say that the current period is the worst wrt child abuse cause it's not even close

I guess what I meant is that this is an era of mass culture. also, theoretically, we know that child abuse is wrong. in ancient Greece, it wasn't really up for debate. or in the times when 12 year olds were getting married.

this is a time when almost everyone agrees that child abuse is wrong, but it is still allowed, and even encouraged, and for what? profit!

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

I simply don't use social media or sexualize children, seems to work for me op

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.

Mirello posted:

I guess what I meant is that this is an era of mass culture. also, theoretically, we know that child abuse is wrong. in ancient Greece, it wasn't really up for debate. or in the times when 12 year olds were getting married.

this is a time when almost everyone agrees that child abuse is wrong, but it is still allowed, and even encouraged, and for what? profit!

"mass culture", as opposed to what, people having their own individual, personal culture?
Re ancient Greece, debate-lord Plato for instance was opposed to pederasty so it was in fact up for debate.

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003
we need to replace mass culture with mass culture, you know what i mean?

pray the rosary

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

if humanity survives another hundred years we're going to look at social media like we regard trepanning

NeatHeteroDude
Jan 15, 2017

I think social media has a lot of positives for building relationships and community between people in different circumstances with different backgrounds. There shouldn't be as much algorithmic exploitation of children in the way that there is now, but adults are also being exploited in the same way.

If you're worried about parents abusing their kids or people sexualizing children, there are so so many more common and egregious examples of it happening behind closed doors across America. I spent about a year working with foster kids who needed intensive inpatient trauma-informed therapy, and the tiktok story, while super hosed up, doesn't really touch the terrible things that go on outside the purview of social media.

If you want to help make a difference, you could volunteer or work somewhere with foster kids or, if you're teaching, just redouble efforts to learn evidence based poo poo and do your job well enough that your students leave with better social emotional and academic outcomes.

NeatHeteroDude
Jan 15, 2017

Supporting and protecting kids as an educator is partially about teaching them skills they can use to regulate their emotions, make good decisions, self reflect, etc. If that's not something you have time or energy to do, you can (and should) always be modeling skills that you want your kids to practice in the real world.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Social Media STINKS!

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
man who spent half his life on a computer forum: its tiktok thats the problem

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Homeless Friend posted:

yeah it's called "experience" dumbass. that's how i know it's bad.

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
lmfao “If you don’t have haters,” Arritola says, “you ain’t poppin’.”

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

Homeless Friend posted:

lol

but for real I think the engagement mechanism of social media plus how ubiquitous it is in a culture of people that are increasingly alienated from each other and their communities is uniquely damaging and dangerous. its going to gently caress up a few generations kind of like leaded gasoline before it is curtailed (unlikely) or the potemkin data economy collapses

Mokelumne Trekka
Nov 22, 2015

Soon.

I'm an "elder millennial" and I don't know much about Tik Tok other than it seems to be short clips, which follows the trend of reality being cut up into tinier and tinier pieces for addictive consumption, a visible trend on social media for over a decade

I mean, wow, 5 second clips fed to undeveloped brains by an algorithm. sounds good.

FreeRangeHexagon
Apr 17, 2022

me, a man of culture: "The internet peaked with YTMND, but kids today don't care to learn our history, so they don't know that"

Mirello
Jan 29, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
this might be extremely stupid/hypocritical, but I think that anonymity and lack of algorithms make forums ok in a way that modern social media isn't.

also, I think the internet has always hosed up your brain, god knows it has to me, but it's much worse now than before and it's something to watch out for.

lumpentroll
Mar 4, 2020

Homeless Friend posted:

lumpentroll
Mar 4, 2020

some might say the internet makes you stupid

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

lumpentroll posted:

some might say the internet makes you stupid

it does tho

lumpentroll
Mar 4, 2020

you maybe

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

and you definitely

lumpentroll
Mar 4, 2020

that's right

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

i don't use "Tik Tok"

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iP6XpLQM2Cs

fabergay egg
Mar 1, 2012

it's not a rhetorical question, for politely saying 'you are an idiot, you don't know what you are talking about'

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

yeah it's called "experience" dumbass. that's how i know it's bad.

goons know better than any the damage being online can inflict on a young mind

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

You're just not cool op sorry

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.

Pentecoastal Elites posted:

if humanity survives another hundred years we're going to look at social media like we regard trepanning

I agree, social media is here to stay and will only become more incorporated into our institutions.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
how about tik tok by ke$ha that was a banger

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

Homeless Friend posted:

:hmmyes:

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Tiktok is a Chinese plot to destroy America so its cool. Agreed on all other social media tho

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

GalacticAcid posted:

how about tik tok by ke$ha that was a banger

also agreed with this

FreeRangeHexagon
Apr 17, 2022

yeah, it sucks about all the sex abuse her manager did though

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003
For twelve years, you have been asking: Who is John Galt? This is John Galt speaking. I am the man who loves his life. I am the man who does not sacrifice his love or his values. I am the man who has deprived you of victims and thus has destroyed your world, and if you wish to know why you are peris

Humanity is the cancer. Social media just reflects that fact.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

NeatHeteroDude posted:

I think social media has a lot of positives for building relationships and community between people in different circumstances with different backgrounds. There shouldn't be as much algorithmic exploitation of children in the way that there is now, but adults are also being exploited in the same way.

Perhaps, and follow along closely because I don't want to lose you here, the whole point of social media is the algorithmic exploitation and that's why it's bad.

croup coughfield
Apr 8, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 96 days!

NeatHeteroDude posted:

I think social media has a lot of positives for building relationships and community between people in different circumstances with different backgrounds.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

FreeRangeHexagon posted:

yeah, it sucks about all the sex abuse her manager did though

when Timber first came out I don't even think she was listed as being featured for singing the hook because she wasn't legally allowed to release any new music without doing it through her abusive manager. hosed up industry

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Honky Mao
Dec 26, 2012

Tik tok shows you the exact content you want to see (thanks to Chinese spycraft) so if your stream of content is full of child abuse and whatnot instead of microchip manufacturing secrets I'm stealing your wallet the next time I pass you on the street