Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Casey Finnigan posted:

bro old men used to marry like 12 year old girls and it was normal

very first post is "well actually"-ing the OP, goons never change

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a strange fowl
Oct 27, 2022

add to that particle pollution in the city, pesticide pollution in the countryside, lead everywhere, microplastics, phthalates, pfas, ultraviolet radiation, chronic stress, wars, famines, natural disasters, lol lmao it's enough to drive someone to religion. gently caress the 21st century. Fuvk the computer

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

buddy,

a strange fowl
Oct 27, 2022

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

Gleichheit soll gedeihen
im reactin' here

a strange fowl
Oct 27, 2022

i hate the computer. and yet?? i love the computer

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

Gleichheit soll gedeihen

a strange fowl posted:

i hate the computer. and yet?? i love the computer

you wanna gently caress it?

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

a strange fowl
Oct 27, 2022

help i 'm turning into a pixel on an endless screen

TehSaurus
Jun 12, 2006

Weka posted:

Doing the lords work. Have you seen that bit about the racist medical scan AI?

Thanks fellow poster! It’s been a while since I’ve looked at literature about medical applications. I did interview someone who worked on a system for mammogram classification but that was years ago and I was much dumber than I am now, if you can believe it. The medical system is deeply racist of course so training a model on any data produced by that system is pretty lol worthy. There are a number of techniques that could theoretically be applied to minimize the racism but capitalism, etc.

Anyway, I’d be interested in seeing a reference if you have one to hand.

a strange fowl posted:

when i was growing up there was still widespread resistance to screentime for kids.

The most hosed up part about this is that all of the people in my peer group are super strict about screen time for their kids so this is mostly a problem for poors and so nobody cares and society will collapse before we can establish the impacts because who cares about poor people. Also something about feedback loops making it even harder to transcend generational wealth.

Cuttlefush posted:

you wanna gently caress it?

Good(?) news, “AI powered” sex toys now exist. I’m pretty sure it is just a gimmick at the moment, but eventually we can probably use them for eugenics or hopefully something even worse!

fabergay egg
Mar 1, 2012

it's not a rhetorical question, for politely saying 'you are an idiot, you don't know what you are talking about'

a strange fowl posted:

add to that particle pollution in the city, pesticide pollution in the countryside, lead everywhere, microplastics, phthalates, pfas, ultraviolet radiation, chronic stress, wars, famines, natural disasters, lol lmao it's enough to drive someone to religion. gently caress the 21st century. Fuvk the computer

we used to get our strange and exotic diseases for which we had no names and whose impact we couldn’t fathom the honorable way, by working for pennies under pitiless robber barons and living in polluted cities blackened with soot. now you can get them anywhere on earth, without even noticing. you don’t even have to try. kids these days are too spoiled i tell you.

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.

TehSaurus posted:

Thanks fellow poster! It’s been a while since I’ve looked at literature about medical applications. I did interview someone who worked on a system for mammogram classification but that was years ago and I was much dumber than I am now, if you can believe it. The medical system is deeply racist of course so training a model on any data produced by that system is pretty lol worthy. There are a number of techniques that could theoretically be applied to minimize the racism but capitalism, etc.

Anyway, I’d be interested in seeing a reference if you have one to hand.

The most hosed up part about this is that all of the people in my peer group are super strict about screen time for their kids so this is mostly a problem for poors and so nobody cares and society will collapse before we can establish the impacts because who cares about poor people. Also something about feedback loops making it even harder to transcend generational wealth.

Good(?) news, “AI powered” sex toys now exist. I’m pretty sure it is just a gimmick at the moment, but eventually we can probably use them for eugenics or hopefully something even worse!

Study shows AI can identify self-reported race from medical images that contain no indications of race detectable by human experts.

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

i think the internet is pretty cool OP. my phone has little gay people on it who talk to me sometimes

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

a strange fowl posted:

i am deeply afraid of what is going to happen when they decide it's more cost effective to just not moderate socials at all and just let everybody have the unfiltered content all the time for clicks

theres always going to be some moderation on big socials for two reasons: payment processors and advertisers

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

The Right Brothers - Phrenology Was Right

PyPy
Sep 13, 2004

by vyelkin
thanks for the paywalled article

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.
It's not paywalled for me, idk why the difference but here. In general just use archive.ph to break paywalls.

https://archive.ph/62aPj

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

a strange fowl posted:

I’m going orthodox ☦️

TehSaurus
Jun 12, 2006

Ah, yeah. People have this thought that if they remove sensitive information like race, gender, whatever from their dataset that the resulting model will be unbiased. This is obviously totally wrong because data is generated by a process which has inbuilt biases. I have lost track of the current thinking on fairness in ml, but the last time I checked there was a push to include this information in the dataset, while using counterfactuals to validate the results. For example if you change Joe’s race from white to black, the model shouldn’t suddenly start denying him parole or whatever.

It doesn’t seem to me that the math would work out on that - I’d think you would basically get the same model as the race blind one. But I’m not very smart either.

There are many other approaches, but they all seemed hard to implement, and didn’t necessarily guarantee an improved result, so I don’t expect them to ever really catch on. Also the cruelty is the point, so why would we try to reduce it?

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

DID NOT VOTE FOR FETTERMAN
have they tried programming the computer for affirmative action?

MLSM
Apr 3, 2021

by Azathoth

a strange fowl posted:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Honky Mao
Dec 26, 2012

Who cares you live for like 50 years don't worry about it