Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Full body spinners seem like the trilobites of battlebots at this point: something that flourished in prehistory, has no place in the modern ecosystem, but would still be neat to see

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

The thermal cam was a nice addition

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

rotator was more fun with two blades

it sucked but it was more fun

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

So many teams forget a self-righter.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Yeah if by some crazy coincidence it had've worked it would have been one for the history books but :shrug:

there's only one bot that can precisely snipe a vital chain using an overhead weapon, and Awakened Chomp isn't in this season.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

someone on reddit is running an ELO ranking on battlebots
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vTU5VncbtsiSlUOxnNsJfgSOxIjQduW1X0sgGbAlEDnjKB4y4avMgTBmAeFg-On7Gbs9qoHnl-qhvsM/pubhtml

Bite force is the strongest with a power level over 2000, the worst is Axe Backwards (neither of which are in this season)

Second strongest is Witch Doctor, second worst is Kraken (which is only narrowly worse than captain shredderator)

Historically, Rusty has had a better track record than 30 other bots.

Tunicate fucked around with this message at 10:23 on Mar 4, 2023

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xv_DBHOODGE

Betterridge's law of headlines applies.

I appreciate that they designed a spispopd bot

Tunicate fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Mar 4, 2023

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Qwijib0 posted:

At some point someone has to try a walker with full body spinner for the weight bonus, which I would think gives it an advantage since it would be less likely to go flying itself.

Tunicate fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Apr 3, 2023

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Railing Kill posted:

Shredding Bro v. Overhaul: guys, someone has to win this fight, ok? You can't both lose, so figure your poo poo out.

In a battlebots first...

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

oh lol I forgot to do a bracket this year. Just put me all in on Huge as per tradition.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

PostNouveau posted:

Didn't a bunch of teams adopt a lot of Duck's internal engineering? Is it fair to say Duck is one of the reasons every bot is so tough these days?

Mostly its that there was a bad batch of motor drivers a few years back which made every bot that used them liable to halt and catch fire

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

I always get the impression that Huge's giant floppy wheels make it difficult to steer and the best it can do is to vaguely point in the right direction and blunder forwards, if they were able to aim it better and make it move forwards and retreat precisely so they could accurately attack specific sections of their opponents it'd be a real monster. But of course that's the trade off in having nigh-indestructible giant wheels

Huge definitely has gotten better at precision driving in this tourny compared to previous ones, i suspect both design and experience contributed to that.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

rarbatrol posted:

My take on the finals fight was... can't Huge spin their weapon both directions? I guess they'd need the correct type of bar to do that, but after hitting Sawblaze's plow once or twice I'd be thinking about an overhead attack.

Don't they do that whenever they reverse directions?

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

discovery is gonna replace the hosts with robots

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Bertha the Toaster posted:

The Hacksmith guys are putting in a bot that's autonomous. Or semi-autonomous at least.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=suv6DtRLnMw

First Autonomous Battlebot*

*Chomp doesn't count.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

The 2nd night match of the Doom Vs Cat Kong / Mortician match.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3sfdX2cq8Uk

fun to see ray billings back in the saddle

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Make a gradual slope of a couple degrees which would make forks incovenient, and end it as a big ramp so you can push bots off the end then jump over them