Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

I got the tude now
Jul 22, 2007

Fungah! posted:

katamari damacy is the best imo but we ❤ katamari is a very close second

The racecar level tho

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

I got the tude now posted:

The racecar level tho

the one where youve got to guess what 10m looks like

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

for me its down to the soundtrack...katamari damacy is an all-timer and we ❤ katamari is just very good

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

Needin something Christmassy boys

Snatcher.

I got the tude now
Jul 22, 2007

Fungah! posted:

for me its down to the soundtrack...katamari damacy is an all-timer and we ❤ katamari is just very good

This is a dealbreaker for me. Truthfully I consider katamari 1+2 a doom 1+2 situation l, technically separate but really just one game

Leadthumb
Mar 24, 2006

This is a dealbreaker for me. Truthfully I consider katamari 1+2 a doom 1+2 situation l, technically separate but really just one game

I think of dead space like this.

PS this post is impervious to Flames because of the flame proofer. :)

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

100%. and once this ports out we can play them th way they were meant to be played

I got the tude now
Jul 22, 2007

Fungah! posted:

100%. and once this ports out we can play them th way they were meant to be played

Side by side, brother 🤝

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

💯it’s the best by a mile. Forever didn’t have any good new levels and the psp level is the worst katamri level I’ve ever played

forever had some good remixes and you had more things on screen, on top of most the levels from 2. its the definitive katamari game imo

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Katamari ftw

I got the tude now
Jul 22, 2007

welcome
Jun 28, 2002

rail slut

"Ka-tamar-i for, the win" to the tune of katamari mambo.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

after finishing up Metal: Hellsinger im wonderinf if there's any other FPS/rhythm game combos out there. my bf told me about BPM: Bullets Per Minute but other than that i dont know of any

Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

Those are the two big ones, but there's a few more possibilities if you have a VR headset. Pistol Whip and Audica both look ok.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Plebian Parasite posted:

Those are the two big ones, but there's a few more possibilities if you have a VR headset. Pistol Whip and Audica both look ok.

i unfortunately do not. ty tho

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Pistol Whip is loving great, it's like 50% of my Quest 2 time lol

Autisanal Cheese
Nov 29, 2010

Cockashocka
Sep 13, 2013

Bubble brother

I liked Beyond the edge of Owlsgard, it's a cute point and click adventure game.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1709730/Beyond_The_Edge_Of_Owlsgard/

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
Hey, just wondering - is the Mafia Trilogy pack on Steam worth it? (That's the remastered set, right?) I never played Mafia, and I think the original was mentioned as being good here at some point, but I've got no idea abojt the others, or the quality of the remasters themselves

Dongicus
Jun 12, 2015

idk about the others, but I hear Mafia 3 is pants-shittingly awesome :D

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

herculon
Sep 7, 2018

I played 3 a long time ago, but remember it being pretty fun. Pretty basic drive around, get out and shoot up the place open world type of game

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
Aw yeah! I think I might get it then, later on. Smash through them after I finish Max Payne and Gotham Knights, perhaps

Sub-Actuality
Apr 17, 2007

Mafia 1 was great at the time, but I have a feeling it won't have aged well

Vadun
Mar 9, 2011

I'm hungrier than a green snake in a sugar cane field.

Mafia 3 is real good, haven't tried the others yet.

The main character and his handler are two of my favorite characters in gaming

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Sub-Actuality posted:

Mafia 1 was great at the time, but I have a feeling it won't have aged well

They remade it for the new edition, I never played the original so I don’t know exactly how much was changed but I enjoyed it a lot when I played the new version right after it came out. Didn’t feel like it had any particular aging issues.

I really enjoyed the whole trilogy, 1 and 2 are great all around, 3 suffers from its open-world design where you clear enemy bases to unlock take over territory and unlock new missions etc but the shooting and driving mechanics and the story and characters are all good enough to make up for that. Love a game set in New Orleans or a fictional equivalent, too

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
Oh interesting, I assumed they'd all be in NYC or something. That's cool - not many games are set in New Orleans style locations, so that's a plus

herculon
Sep 7, 2018

3 takes place in ‘68 and the soundtrack kicks rear end

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Major Isoor posted:

Oh interesting, I assumed they'd all be in NYC or something. That's cool - not many games are set in New Orleans style locations, so that's a plus

They’re all in different cities, 1 is kind of Chicago-ish but I think the devs said they avoided patterning too closely after any particular real city, 2 is in fictionalized NYC, and 3 is in fictionalized New Orlwans

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

herculon posted:

3 takes place in ‘68 and the soundtrack kicks rear end

And it feels oppressively hot on the street so you wish it was night and you were inside doing a mission instead of exploring, which iirc is a big waste in 3 so it’s cool. Lore.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
Here's a question, regarding Mafia: KB+M or controller? I guess driving would be best with a controller, but the firefights might be a pain

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

I think Mafia invented open world auto aim lol.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Wormskull posted:

I think Mafia invented open world auto aim lol.

Controller it is! Thanks - never really kept up with Mafia, so I wasn't sure if it came out just before or just after aim assist became a big deal. Judging from what you said, it seems like it was around about the same time, heh :D

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

I think whether you'll like Mafia 1 comes down to whether you enjoy the period-accurate car physics or not. It's cool that the cars drive like they're from the 30s but it also means they handle like poo poo. I had a lot of fun with the open-city mode as a kid.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

FactsAreUseless posted:

I think whether you'll like Mafia 1 comes down to whether you enjoy the period-accurate car physics or not. It's cool that the cars drive like they're from the 30s but it also means they handle like poo poo. I had a lot of fun with the open-city mode as a kid.

Yeah, driving with old cars is fun - especially GTA-style with no regard for the law! Hell, my dad even has an old working Singer, now that I think about it. (Not sure about the year... late '20s) I've been blasting through the story and have had a lot of fun with the race mission. I immediately knew the driver your mob were backing would end up being unavailable and you'd have to take over, but drat it was fun all the same. :D

By the way, does the game ever 'open up' and let you cruise around stealing cars (and returning them to your garage, to reuse later) and the like, or is all that reserved for the 'free drive' mode? I had assumed it would have more of a GTA-style open world format for the missions after the real early intro ones, but I guess not?

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Major Isoor posted:

Yeah, driving with old cars is fun - especially GTA-style with no regard for the law! Hell, my dad even has an old working Singer, now that I think about it. (Not sure about the year... late '20s) I've been blasting through the story and have had a lot of fun with the race mission. I immediately knew the driver your mob were backing would end up being unavailable and you'd have to take over, but drat it was fun all the same. :D

By the way, does the game ever 'open up' and let you cruise around stealing cars (and returning them to your garage, to reuse later) and the like, or is all that reserved for the 'free drive' mode? I had assumed it would have more of a GTA-style open world format for the missions after the real early intro ones, but I guess not?

Yeah, that's more for the free drive mode, Mafia 1 didn't really have an open world so much as just an empty map that missions happen in.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

Yeah, that's more for the free drive mode, Mafia 1 didn't really have an open world so much as just an empty map that missions happen in.

Riiiight, fair enough. Well, I'm liking it so far either way, so I'm looking forward to seeing how the series pans out. I assume they expand the open world side of things in the sequel?

In any case, it's been good - I've gotta stop and sink some more time into Max Payne though, to finish it off. After that, I'll probably end up coming pretty close to finishing Mafia 1, since I've smashed through a fair bit already. (I think 6.5hrs, maybe?)

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Mafia 3 is a full open world game (to its detriment imo but apparently its fun enough to play around in), I never actually tried 2 but I think it's somewhere in the middle.

Making me want to play the Mafia 1 remake now, haven't played it since I played the original 10+ years ago...

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
Oh, interesting! I wonder how M2 pulls it off - seems like it might strike a nice middle ground. M1's system is pretty good overall I think. It just needs a little extra content sprinkled onto the map and it'll be golden. Otherwise yeah, as you said it's kinda just an empty map.

Either way, it's been good! I think I got the trilogy (including the original version of Mafia 2 for some reason) for $40AUD, so I reckon I should handily get my money's worth with this bundle!
Also, my condolences - I didn't mean to tempt you! :D Similar to what Silvio from The Sopranos likes to quote; Just when you thought you were out... I pulled you back in!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

2 has some shops scattered around the map that you can buy weapons or clothes etc at and you can also rob them in a Saints Row 2 style minigame but as far as I remember that’s the only real “open world” activity and it’s otherwise like 1