Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

STONE COLD 64 posted:

i feel like everything just Ran Better on the dreamcast. if there was a DC port of a game it was almost always the ideal version. dreamcast ftw.

Yeah for the most part Dreamcast games looked great and ran really well

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arch Nemesis
Mar 27, 2007

GC port had a bunch more content including several cool optional boss battles, and much quicker load times (like 1s vs 6s to load a battle, which really adds up) also iirc they reworked the system for finding chams so cupil is less likely to end up useless

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

I think they also toned down the absolutely insane encounter rate on the DC version

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
Hey, so how are the new Wolfenstein games? I'm thinking about getting the $20aud pack (including the standalone prequel expack, I believe?) but I haven't read masses about them. Any duds?

Also, how's the stealth? I know it's not the main point of the games, but I've been told the first new Wolfenstein is about 1/3 stealthable. Are the rest the same, or more/less? I don't mind forced action, but I do like having the option

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Major Isoor posted:

Hey, so how are the new Wolfenstein games? I'm thinking about getting the $20aud pack (including the standalone prequel expack, I believe?) but I haven't read masses about them. Any duds?

Also, how's the stealth? I know it's not the main point of the games, but I've been told the first new Wolfenstein is about 1/3 stealthable. Are the rest the same, or more/less? I don't mind forced action, but I do like having the option

I really enjoyed the new order when it first released. Thought The Old Blood was so-so, really good when it was good but a bunch of zombie sections I didn’t like. New Colossus might be the worst game I’ve ever finished

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Punished Chuck posted:

I really enjoyed the new order when it first released. Thought The Old Blood was so-so, really good when it was good but a bunch of zombie sections I didn’t like. New Colossus might be the worst game I’ve ever finished

Eurgh, that...sounds pretty unappealing! Is the first one at least a complete story, or does it end on a cliffhanger, if you can say?

Vadun
Mar 9, 2011

I'm hungrier than a green snake in a sugar cane field.

I enjoyed all 3 but I played them out of order. Stealth definitely lets you soften up most encounters, maybe even entirely elimating some, but there are a few bigger fights where stealth is not an option.

The game really leans into its ridiculousness, which is exactly my kind of poo poo.. Dieselpunk and mad science can be pretty fun.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Punished Chuck posted:

Yeah this is pretty much my view. I liked Old Blood a lot but the zombie sections were definitely a bit boring, I'd say it's a game (expansion?) of higher highs and lower lows.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
Alright, well I bought TNO - I think I'll ignore the rest though, judging from your opinions. Thanks!

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Major Isoor posted:

Eurgh, that...sounds pretty unappealing! Is the first one at least a complete story, or does it end on a cliffhanger, if you can say?

It's been a long time but it's got a pretty solid ending from what I can recall. I guess I'd compare it to like the first Star Wars movie where the Death Star's destruction is like the main plot and is a satisfying ending, but there's enough hanging threads with the Empire still being around and Darth Vader's ambiguous fate that they could do a sequel.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Punished Chuck posted:

It's been a long time but it's got a pretty solid ending from what I can recall. I guess I'd compare it to like the first Star Wars movie where the Death Star's destruction is like the main plot and is a satisfying ending, but there's enough hanging threads with the Empire still being around and Darth Vader's ambiguous fate that they could do a sequel.

Ahhh yeah that sounds like a good comparison. Nice, thanks - glad to hear it!

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

is Lost Planet 2 actually good or is it just a handful of internet weirdos that never shut up about it? how's the couch coop? What would you compare the gameplay to?

I got the tude now
Jul 22, 2007

bees x1000 posted:

is Lost Planet 2 actually good or is it just a handful of internet weirdos that never shut up about it? how's the couch coop? What would you compare the gameplay to?

above average 3rd person shooter on capcom's fantastic .net framework that makes all their 360 games look amazing. it blends into the other co op and 3rd person shooters of the era but it's a fun game.

Vadun
Mar 9, 2011

I'm hungrier than a green snake in a sugar cane field.

bees x1000 posted:

It's not a perfect match but if you enjoy Earth Defense Force you'll probably like Lost Planet 2

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

I do very much like EDF, hmmmmm

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

I got the tude now posted:

above average 3rd person shooter on capcom's fantastic .net framework that makes all their 360 games look amazing. it blends into the other co op and 3rd person shooters of the era but it's a fun game.

Capcom engines ftw

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
OK so, as per the games beaten thread, a friend and I beat A Way Out yesterday, which was surprisingly excellent! Normally when we play games together, it's with the rest of a group, but drat AWO was so good it feels like we've left a whole two-player coop pool of games untapped. So now we're thinking about more coop games - preferably action/adventure I guess, but other stuff like more puzzle-heavy games or shooters are good too. I'd probably prefer to avoid super sandboxy games that take forever though - e.g. Raft and the like. Stuff that's more story-driven is ideal

So far we've got the below games in our sights, but we're looking for more before making a call on what to play next. Do any of you fine imps have any suggestions, by any chance?

Splinter Cell: Conviction
It Takes Two
Unravel Two
Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons
The Dark Pictures: A House of Ashes (I've played this solo, but I think he'll like the 'Aliens' style action-horror)

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Major Isoor posted:

OK so, as per the games beaten thread, a friend and I beat A Way Out yesterday, which was surprisingly excellent! Normally when we play games together, it's with the rest of a group, but drat AWO was so good it feels like we've left a whole two-player coop pool of games untapped. So now we're thinking about more coop games - preferably action/adventure I guess, but other stuff like more puzzle-heavy games or shooters are good too. I'd probably prefer to avoid super sandboxy games that take forever though - e.g. Raft and the like. Stuff that's more story-driven is ideal

So far we've got the below games in our sights, but we're looking for more before making a call on what to play next. Do any of you fine imps have any suggestions, by any chance?

Splinter Cell: Conviction
It Takes Two
Unravel Two
Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons
The Dark Pictures: A House of Ashes (I've played this solo, but I think he'll like the 'Aliens' style action-horror)

It Takes Two is by the same developers and is pretty similar in a lot of ways, so it's a safe bet imo.

I played Brothers for the first time a couple of years ago and thought it was pretty crap to be honest

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

It Takes Two is by the same developers and is pretty similar in a lot of ways, so it's a safe bet imo.

I played Brothers for the first time a couple of years ago and thought it was pretty crap to be honest

Huh, good to know about Brothers! I'll strike it from the list. Also, It Takes Two seems to be totally different in theme, so hopefully it works well still, in that department. But yeah, it being by the same devs is a good sign - since I'm sure they made it work quite well

Hizke
Feb 14, 2010
Nice thread. NOT!! Actually it’s pissing me off just looking at it. Here’s my recommendation: why don’t you loving pussies get off your fat loving asses and try out a game you’re interested in? Or do you really need to hold daddy’s hand? LOL. Get dicked down good

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Nutmeg
Feb 8, 2004

Hizke posted:

Nice thread. NOT!! Actually it’s pissing me off just looking at it. Here’s my recommendation: why don’t you loving pussies get off your fat loving asses and try out a game you’re interested in? Or do you really need to hold daddy’s hand? LOL. Get dicked down good

this is violence

insane anime
Aug 5, 2018

need mmo . . .

----------------

insane anime
Aug 5, 2018

NEED mmo . . .

----------------

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Check out Old School Runescape.

Kongming
Aug 30, 2005

I started playing FFXI on the private server Horizon again two days ago but I mostly just sit at the Auction House and craft.

insane anime
Aug 5, 2018

im not vbery interested in eithero f htose, but i appreciate the response..

Any imps want to try : mortal online 2

----------------

insane anime
Aug 5, 2018

or i guess id try that final fantasy game if a sexy lurker wants to donate it. But it seems there isnt much pvp

----------------

insane anime
Aug 5, 2018

installing mortal online 2 lm fao

----------------

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

insane anime posted:

NEED mmo . . .

theres an everquest private server coming out oct 1st thats going to be pretty popular

https://www.project1999.com/forums/showthread.php?t=422162

insane anime
Aug 5, 2018

mbt posted:

theres an everquest private server coming out oct 1st thats going to be pretty popular

https://www.project1999.com/forums/showthread.php?t=422162

Now this I can get into .

----------------

insane anime
Aug 5, 2018

downloaded Black Desert

----------------

insane anime
Aug 5, 2018

insane anime posted:

downloaded Black Desert

----------------

insane anime
Aug 5, 2018

haha. no desert. dessert has two Ss because its Super Sweet :)

----------------

insane anime
Aug 5, 2018

insane anime posted:

----------------

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

herculon
Sep 7, 2018

insane anime posted:

Thanks for the mnemonic

I got the tude now
Jul 22, 2007

insane anime posted:

downloaded Black Desert

Lmao

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

insane anime posted:

downloaded Black Desert

lmao

mycophobia
May 7, 2008

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
Oh hey, I just noticed Ratchet & Clank games are still being made - and that Rift Apart came out on Steam in July. Has anyone played it? I'm wondering how well it holds up, compared to some of the classics. It's been many, many years since I played R&C 1-4, but if they actually did an OKish job, the price might be worth the nostalgia hit - since Up Your Arsenal was great fun, back in the day. (Going Commando was the weakest link IIRC. I actually quite liked Gladiator/Deadlocked too, although I think at the time many people hated it)