Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mormon Star Wars
Aug 13, 2005
It's a minotaur race...

According to a recent Massively OP article, a kickstarted MMORPG is going into early access in two weeks. It looks so bad that even some of the addicts among us are not going to try it. But I will, because I have to keep my reputation for trying every single MMO.

Shadow's Kiss

In 2017, a guy named Thomas Sitch launched a kickstarter to raise funds to build an urban-fantasy MMORPG focused on vampires and vampire slayers.

In order to fund this MMORPG, he asked for $25,000.

In his own words:

quote:

We at Clockwork Throne have seen that glaring hole in the Massively Multiplayer Online game market. We’ve watched as not one decade, but two decades, have gone by, and the big publishers have not stepped up. They don’t understand this dream, but like you, we’ve dreamt of ruling the night ever since our first encounter with the undead, in an RPG, on the pages of a book, or on the silver screen. They don’t get this dream. They won’t build it for us, so we’ll build it ourselves.

Apparently this daring game was rejected by publisher's, despite the team having "17 years experience" working on the following MMORPGs:

The Game

The game is supposed to be a traditional theme park MMORPG, but with a twist! They advertised the following features:

• A detailed storyline involving you fighting some vampire king named Logan or something.
  • A classless, skill-based system that involves speccing into powers like "PRETERSPEED" and "PRETERSTRENGTH" and "GUNS"
  • Turn-based combat (?)
  • Social combat, social zones "that are as important as adventure zones", and the ability to recruit followers.
  • Player housing, including a sewer if they reached their stretch goals!
  • "Mature Content"

The Setting

I was going to try to summarize this but it's by far the longest thing on their website and it is written exactly as you would expect it to be written. I'm just going to copy the first three paragraphs of the 27 lore pages on the website:

quote:

The kiss of the shadows is the kiss of the Dark Goddess. This is what she is called, who was first among us, but she has gone by many names. To some she was the Murga Muggai, the Trapdoor Spider; to others Hekate, the Witch of the Moon and Crossroads; to others Tiamat, the Dragon of Chaos; or Louhi of the Land of Darkness, or the dark Mother, or… all the names by which the darkness is called.

She walked in every land, in ancient times, and was known in every pantheon. The Dark Goddess was the shared dream of every people, in every nation, for she was the one who dwelt in the night and hungered always for the blood of life.

By the light of the moon, she took mortal lovers, bearing their children—demigods neither of the bright world of the living nor of the deep dreaming gulfs of the dead. But all her offspring were stillborn, and knowing that the gods would despise the abominations that she had birthed, she hid them away.

It's all like that. The setting is basically straight ripped from the World of Darkness, but bad. The stretch goals for the MMO included playing other splats that are detailed on the website, like Adepts (Mage) and Loupgarou (Werewolf).

The game is set in a city that is NOT San Diego, and you are working for the vampire prince king, Logan, investigating his ex-wife (?) Daley and trying to figure out why there are so many monsters in the city. Along the way, you are supposed to get involved in clan bloodline politics in elysium social zones, gain followers, and feed.

When you create your vampire, you can choose various clans archetypes like the Tremere Thaumaturges and the Gangrel Wildlings.

Mature Content

I'm probably not going to last like a week playing this in front of my wife, and I've left the googling of this to people in the main thread, but apparently according to Massively online they have a "Mature Content Pass." It's a subscription. They are charging $5 a month for nudity. Through Patreon.

Tutorials

The website for the game has two tutorials. How to enter your sewer - if you got one from their kickstarter - and how to leave it.

Wait, why haven't I heard of this before?

This is a great question, because the pre-alpha has apparently been playable for a year and I haven't seen anyone actually admit to playing any version of it. This is an MMO so shameful that people aren't even leaking stuff from the pre-alpha. There are people willingly paying five bucks a month for the nudity equivalent of Conan Exiles. This is a game advertised as for mature audiences, made by people people that worked on Wizards 101, a game for children.

It is going into Early Access in two weeks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phoix
Jul 20, 2006

Szarrukin
Sep 29, 2021

Holy poo poo, I've played WOD maybe twice in my entire life and even I can tell exactly which bloodline is ripped from which WOD clan.

Mormon Star Wars
Aug 13, 2005
It's a minotaur race...

Szarrukin posted:

Holy poo poo, I've played WOD maybe twice in my entire life and even I can tell exactly which bloodline is ripped from which WOD clan.

Don't worry, if you're a fan of nWoD, they've also ripped off the covenants:

Love the "vamp out" features which apparently just gives you a tan and makes you give a forced smile:

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
While this looks like delicious trash, its delicious trash I would have to pay a decent amount for, so ehhhhhh

dromal phrenia
Feb 22, 2004

Is this going to have the dance from VtM:Bloodlines, or is it completely irredeemable?

FreeWifi!!
Oct 11, 2013

Okay, that's true. Good point, Marquess. Point for you. But you get a point taken away for being a dick. So, back to zero.

:D

SweetBro
May 12, 2014

Did you read that sister?
Yes, truly a shitposter's post. I read it, Rem.
You know if WOD's licensing terms weren't such absolutely one-sided dogshit there's a high probability this could've been an officially published title. Yes, I am implying that even this abomination could do better than the public WOD license.

Phoix
Jul 20, 2006

SweetBro posted:

You know if WOD's licensing terms weren't such absolutely one-sided dogshit there's a high probability this could've been an officially published title. Yes, I am implying that even this abomination could do better than the public WOD license.

I feel like this could've just snuck out the door as a random Hunter: The Reckoning property and even WOD wouldn't notice

SweetBro
May 12, 2014

Phoix posted:

I feel like this could've just snuck out the door as a random Hunter: The Reckoning property and even WOD wouldn't notice

For White Wolf notice a Hunter copyright violation they would have to remember that Hunter exists.

Mormon Star Wars
Aug 13, 2005
It's a minotaur race...

This came out yesterday and I took one for the team and got it. This is like the classic steam vampire roguelike BloodLust: Shadowhunter, but even more janky and with worse combat. Still taking in impressions but I lost it when I saw the box before the last name field:

It turns out all the weird flogging stuff is locked behind a subscription - a subscription to their patreon. However, they do the Dragon Age thing where there are NPCs with "mature" quests that you can't do without the "mature content pass."

I'm definitely not doing that, so I decided to try the combat. It's, uh, real weird. Mobs wander around the city and you click on them and choose to "parlay" or "fight." This initiates a turn based combat where you can move "6 meters" and choose, from a quick menu, what attack to use. The turns take like 20 seconds, even for NPCs, so getting into a combat with two enemies takes an extremely long time, and the base hit chance is tiny (20% for one of the guns I started with.) However, you get consumables that you can use for attacks instead - for instance, you can get a consumable that lets you make an attack at 60%. The levels look like someone's mod from Jedi Knight.

For the sake of the thread, here is the basic attack that came with the gun I took off a dead NPC:

SweetBro
May 12, 2014

I hope with all my heart that this becomes Gorgon Online: Vamp Edition.

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

Mormon Star Wars posted:

noble sacrifice

Thank you for your service, I will not spend even a cent on this but I am enjoying reading about it from a safe distance.

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC
Love that their UI Designer decided to just rip off Turbine games (Lotro specifically) hardcore. Just the pinnacle of design there.

Edit: Just checked out their website. Nothing about this looks good. Holy poo poo, how did this get made.

Saltpowered fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Jan 10, 2023

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006

Mormon Star Wars posted:

Apparently this daring game was rejected by publisher's, despite the team having "17 years experience" working on the following MMORPGs:

This looks exactly like a game that someone who developed Shadowbane would make.

To be clear, that's a huge insult. Shadowbane was dogshit.

SweetBro
May 12, 2014

To be fair: 1) MMOs are considered a massive money sink and aren't really published anywhere anymore outside of Japan/China/Korea. 2) Adult-themed MMOs basically have no market viability. 3) Sandbox MMOs also have little to no market viability. 4) A mobile game can be monetized the same way an MMO can at a fraction of the dev cost.

Even if the game was peak quality, no publisher would take the risk on it.

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006
I'm not commenting on it being poison for publishers. I just wanted to poo poo on Shadowbane's devs. Shadowbane had so much promise prior to release, then it came out and... it just sucked. The entire idea of the Shadowbane sword being in-game was unceremoniously abandoned, probably because it was a terrible idea to begin with, but they never bothered to update the lore to reflect that. Most of the rest of the lore was likewise stillborn, jettisoned in favor of an incredibly stripped down and terrible PVE grind that was reminiscent of farming Warcraft 3's creep camps, and then the PVP--the main draw of the game--was still somehow jank and bad too. It was almost impressive how badly they hosed up that game.

Still sour about it.

Dick Burglar fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Jan 25, 2023

SweetBro
May 12, 2014

I tried to get into Shadowbane once, then saw what the combat was and noped the gently caress back to CoX.

That being said PotB was loving fire and it's a warcrime the game never got more popular.

Mormon Star Wars
Aug 13, 2005
It's a minotaur race...

I refunded this, not because of the content (it was so bad I wanted to see more), but because it's so badly optimized that walking down an empty street would grind the game to a halt. God help you if monsters suddenly appeared out of nowhere and the game had to render them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

SweetBro posted:

Oh hey, I remember hearing news about this game making the rounds a long time ago. Ironically, from what I recall the OP's game is actually predating Nuwolf by quite a few years. It spawned out of frustration that people kept loving up creating the WoD MMO, which should have been a smash hit if anyone marginally competent had been in charge of it back then.

Basically, this game is what would happen if someone sat down, looked at how badly the franchise was being mismanaged on the gaming end (and from the sound of it still is on the licensing end), became frustrated at the entire situation and said "fine, i'll do it myself then!" and then went and actually did it on a shoestring budget comprised of kickstarter and later on patreon donations.

So despite everything I can't really fault these guys for the effort since despite the optimization issues and everything else they are somehow still miles ahead of the "Make it pssssshh!" guys that were the execs in charge of the actual massive cash sink WoD MMO that couldn't even get a product out the door after constantly working on it for like almost a full decade.

There was also another project called Project Dogma that was also trying to do the same thing and just ran with the money without putting out a product. So weirdly enough despite everything these guys are ahead of the shoddy kickstarter competition too by dint of actually wanting to make a product and not just rip people off.

Mormon Star Wars posted:

I refunded this, not because of the content (it was so bad I wanted to see more), but because it's so badly optimized that walking down an empty street would grind the game to a halt. God help you if monsters suddenly appeared out of nowhere and the game had to render them.

Don't consider this to be absolutely true but depending on when the architecture making up this game was last updated the current alpha could literally be running off of a single or dual core setup similar to how EQ2 could grind to a halt due to it's own limitations as the design of computer's marched on.

Keep in mind that the WoD MMO started development around 2006, and this game was made as a result of the WoD MMO failing in development due to massive mismanagement issues. So there is the possibility that this game is old at this point and needs a revamp on the back end. Someone who actually bought it can probably chime in more there. :shrug:

Archonex fucked around with this message at 13:15 on Jan 30, 2023