Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Normally I don't make aesthetic criticisms in other peoples' homes, but that rug looks like a beaver exploded. If meat is murder, then that rug is at least a severe beating.

What is this?

Bud Tucker In Double Trouble is a point-and-click adventure game developed by Merit Studios (Europe) Limited and released in 1996. We take control of Bud Tucker, a pizza delivery boy in Barryville who also works as a lab assistant late in the evening. Information about this game is hard to come by but this is a fairly standard adventure game affair. Even though it's a very British cast, Bud Tucker is very distinctly American. This game also has a more British sense of humour and it's also a mid-nineties game so be prepared for potential risque moments. Rik Mayall is in this game and if you know who he is then you'll probably know what kind of humour to expect.

This is my first time playing through the game so I really don't know much about it or how it's going to go. This is another game that I was aware of in my younger days but never got a chance to play, it completely slipped off of the radar for a long time but I was recently reminded of it in the adventure game thread. I've had a few months of some very involved LPs and I thought that this would be a game that I could just sit back and relax with, especially now the holidays are coming up and my time is going to be more limited.

LP Details

This is going to be a VLP and I'll be recording commentary as I play along. I don't have a schedule, it all depends on when I have free time around work and child care. I aim to have at least one video up a week but usually I upload at least a couple of videos each week.

Let's Play: Bud Tucker In Double Trouble

Rocket Baby Dolls fucked around with this message at 10:34 on Jan 9, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

I've a little anecdote: for some reason this game was not sold in stores or was only sold for a short time which made an authentic CD of it rare, I was into trading in a send by mail thing(GameTZ) in the early 2000's AND a local magazine gave out copies with one month's edition.
Cue a run on any second hand CD shop I could find, I managed like 8 copies which I traded for multiple games.
Good times.

E: GameTZ actually let me reactivate my account from two decades ago so I can detail that I indeed found 8 copies (a 9th one turned out to be broken in two so it was worthless) and traded them all for some cash.
Way to go younger me, quite the scavenging merchant you are!

By popular demand fucked around with this message at 10:01 on Dec 15, 2022

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Normally I don't make aesthetic criticisms in other peoples' homes, but that rug looks like a beaver exploded. If meat is murder, then that rug is at least a severe beating.

By popular demand posted:

I've a little anecdote: for some reason this game was not sold in stores or was only sold for a short time which made an authentic CD of it rare, I was into trading in a send by mail thing(GameTZ) in the early 2000's AND a local magazine gave out copies with one month's edition.
Cue a run on any second hand CD shop I could find, I managed like 8 copies which I traded for multiple games.
Good times.

E: GameTZ actually let me reactivate my account from two decades ago so I can detail that I indeed found 8 copies (a 9th one turned out to be broken in two so it was worthless) and traded them all for some cash.
Way to go younger me, quite the scavenging merchant you are!

One of the few things I do know about this game is, like you said, it wasn't in the shops for long on the English side of the market. Despite the short run, the game was translated into a lot of different languages. I know that the game was released in Spain and Germany but I've also seen Polish, French and Czech versions too.

Did you make much from your copies?

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

IIRC I charged 20$ for every one and I bought them for like a quarter that.
(I had the English language version)

E: hah, turns out I traded one for Darkseed 2. The other guy definitely got the better deal on this one.
Sorry if the assurance that BT is nowhere near as bad as DS2 is a spoiler.

By popular demand fucked around with this message at 12:45 on Dec 15, 2022

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Ah, Darkseed 2. I remember the Slowbeef LP. Have you ever played those, Rocket?

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Bud finally meets Lola in the club and she provides him with a new lead, but things don't go entirely to plan. Things are starting to become even more surreal from this point on.

I was planning to record the next room but ScummVM had a rather nasty glitch during the recording.

marshmallow creep posted:

Ah, Darkseed 2. I remember the Slowbeef LP. Have you ever played those, Rocket?

I haven't but I am aware of them. I will probably get around to playing them at some point but I've got a few dozen games already lined up. I will read through Slowbeef's LPs at some point though as I'm working my way through the archive bit by bit.

ArchWizard
Mar 27, 2009

There's the Roy I know and love.

I love the jokes. They're so corny that nobody's used them in over twenty years, so they're fresh again.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Bud explores the rest of the mall and meets some very happy people before taking a walk in the park. He still isn't any closer to finding the Professor but he's keeping himself busy by joining a guild and feeding a hob.

ArchWizard posted:

I love the jokes. They're so corny that nobody's used them in over twenty years, so they're fresh again.

I have to admit that I've found some of the jokes very amusing. After the last few adventure games that I've played I'm finding the humour in the game quite refreshing too.

Zaroff
Nov 10, 2009

Nothing in the world can stop me now!
I’m really enjoying this too (it’s hard not to enjoy something with Rik Mayall!), although I’m wondering where the titular double trouble is coming from - it feels fairly telegraphed, but right now it’s just been a lot of hunting for the professor!

And I was definitely getting Richard O’Brien vibes from that dentist before you mentioned it…

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

This video is relatively short but it marks the end of part one. Bud continues on with his search for the professor in a couple of new locations and soon finds out that something very fishy is going on.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

This video is the start of part two and it begins with a six-minute cutscene. Bud has now been captured by Dick Tate, but at least he's found the Professor. I did conduct a test run but I didn't do any extensive testing, which is why I squandered an opportunity to speak to a character and didn't realise that a certain object could be used at the end of the video.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

I like that the protagonists have almost as much respect for the villain as the audience.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

marshmallow creep posted:

I like that the protagonists have almost as much respect for the villain as the audience.

Rik Mayall has had a lot of experience playing complete wankers.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

We lost him far too soon.
Nobody plays a self obsessed cretin with nothing of value to give to the world like he did.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

This video marks the end of the second part, which was relatively short compared to the first one. We find all of the things that we need to escape but will it be as easy as just walking out of the door without any hindrance?

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

We are now in the third and final part. A lot has changed in Seedy Street, Dick Tate is taking over and we need to find a way to stop him. I have a feeling that the next video is going to be the final one.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

I honestly thought that this would be the final video but I wasn't expecting everything in the game to be different to this extent. In this video, Bud re-explores the mall and the museum in an effort to collect everything on the professor's list. The next video will be the final one and I've pretty made a decision on the next game to follow this one.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

This is the finale of Bud Tucker, enjoy!

This was a fairly short but quite a fun game with a guide. This game looks like it would be hell to play without a guide though.

The writing was okay, the humour and voice acting was great throughout. The puzzles were definitely a mixed bag throughout and the lack of hints, especially for the more obscure ones, was a real annoyance at times. It was definitely fun to play through but I probably would have abandoned it if I hadn't of had some help with a few of the puzzles.

I'm most likely going to start an LP of Freddy Pharkas: Frontier Pharmacist next. I might do a test run tonight to see how it goes.

Tagaziel
Aug 28, 2022

Ce n'est pas un chat.

Rocket Baby Dolls posted:

This was a fairly short but quite a fun game with a guide. This game looks like it would be hell to play without a guide though.

The demented moon logic of Bud Tucker got to you too, huh

TwoDayLife
Jan 26, 2006

On a two-day vacation
*poot*

Pud Tugger in Puzzle Trouble.
What a crappy game.

What does the "Double Trouble" even refer to?

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Tagaziel posted:

The demented moon logic of Bud Tucker got to you too, huh

Some of the puzzles were well thought out and then you have puzzles where you have to put a key in a washing machine with no hints alluding to that fact.

Or writing with chalk on one of the weights because it's the Looney Tunes or something.

Or having to use a pool cue on a shirt hanging on a line because if you try to pick it up with your hands you're an idiot for some reason.

Etc...

TwoDayLife posted:

Pud Tugger in Puzzle Trouble.
What a crappy game.

What does the "Double Trouble" even refer to?

I believe that it was referring to the very quickly mentioned once but not really referred to again plot device where everyone has been cloned.

Zaroff
Nov 10, 2009

Nothing in the world can stop me now!

Some of the puzzles were well thought out and then you have puzzles where you have to put a key in a washing machine with no hints alluding to that fact.

Or writing with chalk on one of the weights because it's the Looney Tunes or something.

Or having to use a pool cue on a shirt hanging on a line because if you try to pick it up with your hands you're an idiot for some reason.

I wonder if this had budget cuts? It feels like a lot of these issues (such as the pool cue on the shirt) would have easily been resolved with a line of dialogue saying why they can’t just take it.

Maybe they blew their budget on Rik Mayall (who was worth every penny - I’m certain at the end they didn’t give him any dialogue and just told him to go hog wild!)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tagaziel
Aug 28, 2022

Ce n'est pas un chat.

Yeah, I remember the game. It's a walk down memory lane for me, except my version was in Polish, not English. I still have the original CD around here somewhere.