Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

If to live in this style is to be eccentric, it must be confessed that there is something good in eccentricity.

Grimey Drawer
Pie - not only good, but good for you!

Pies come in a variety of sizes and fillings.

Also, pie birds are cool:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pie_bird

I make quite a lot of pies. And yet, I'm still pretty terrible at it.
I only just now realized all this time I was under-baking all the crusts, which is why they were so floppy and refused to come out of the pan. If you're having this problem too, cook them more from the bottom for longer.

Foiling the edges really keeps them from burning. I got some silicone pie crust shields, and they are fantastic.

Using foil was always pretty annoying, and these work great. Probably not worth filling your kitchen space up with unless you make a lot of pies, but I do.

They also make pie weights if you want to save your rice or something.

I have some, but only because I make too many pies.

Recently, I've been making pumpkin and pecan ones for Thanksgiving and apple and cherry ones for Independence Day. This year, I also made hybrid pecan-pumpkin pies as well as a lemon and chocolate pie.

🥧

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ass-penny
Jan 18, 2008

Pie is not only good, it's real good.

Test Pattern
Dec 20, 2007

Keep scrolling, clod!
If you're confident about hot sugar, I recommend seeking out Stella Parks' DANGER PIE recipe and giving it a try. I've only gotten it "right" 1/3 times but both slightly-off versions were still leagues better than any store-bought or amateur-made pecan pie I've ever had; the no-fuckups version was far and away the best I've ever had.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
I love a good steak and ale pie but I'll hurl abuse at anyone who makes one with puff pastry instead of shortcrust.

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

If to live in this style is to be eccentric, it must be confessed that there is something good in eccentricity.

Grimey Drawer

Test Pattern posted:

If you're confident about hot sugar, I recommend seeking out Stella Parks' DANGER PIE recipe and giving it a try. I've only gotten it "right" 1/3 times but both slightly-off versions were still leagues better than any store-bought or amateur-made pecan pie I've ever had; the no-fuckups version was far and away the best I've ever had.

quote:

Editor’s Note: You will notice that there is no recipe for the pie here. That is not a mistake. Stella has chosen not to publish this recipe because of its difficulty and narrow margin of error, particularly for beginners who might stumble upon it through a casual search.

Haha, I don't think I have the confidence to make this, but I actually have a lot of pecans left over, so maybe I should give it a try. Which recipe did you follow? There seems to be a couple reverse-engineered ones.
People really seem to like the pecan pies. They're not really available anywhere outside the US (that I've seen) so I've been trying to spread their popularity.

Pablo Bluth posted:

I love a good steak and ale pie but I'll hurl abuse at anyone who makes one with puff pastry instead of shortcrust.

Chicken pot pie is amazing.

Speaking of meat pies, apparently bird pies used to be really popular, and they would decorate them with the bird parts:

at least according to Wikipedia.

Test Pattern
Dec 20, 2007

Keep scrolling, clod!

Shadow0 posted:

Haha, I don't think I have the confidence to make this, but I actually have a lot of pecans left over, so maybe I should give it a try. Which recipe did you follow? There seems to be a couple reverse-engineered ones.

A friend emailed her and has the actual from-her recipe, and sent it to me. I can DM it to you, but it comes with a request to not post it publicly. The serious eats video in the article you quoted is actually fairly helpful, even if it doesn't give the recipe.

Test Pattern fucked around with this message at 14:44 on Dec 20, 2022

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Test Pattern posted:

A friend emailed her and has the actual from-her recipe, and sent it to me. I can DM it to you, but it comes with a request to not post it publicly. The serious eats video in the article you quoted is actually fairly helpful, even if it doesn't give the recipe.

Oh, yeah, if you're willing to PM me it, that'd be great! They don't want people to hurt themselves and neither do I, so don't worry, I won't post it publicly. I'll watch the video too then if you think it'll give some good pointers.

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Test Pattern posted:

I have attempted the pie!

Apparently I forgot to get a better picture.

I thought I was being careful cooking the sugar, but after spending forever at some low temperature, as it finally, finally started approaching the target temperature, it suddenly shot up past the mark as I was taking it off the burner. I don't know if that's why or if I did something else wrong, but the sugar crystalized.
Getting it out of the pan was a massive hassle, and it really disappointed me.
Still, it tasted fine, I guess. So I brought it to work to share.
Then just yesterday, someone thanked me for the pie and asked me about the crunchy bits. Apparently they liked them. So that was nice. :)

I'm a little surprised how few people outside the US know what a pecan is though. They're good, more people should eat them.

I also made a brownie pie since I had a spare pie shell:

It's literally just a box brownie mix in a pie shell.
I added speed holes too.

Here they both are in their pie caddies: :3:

I'll give the recipe another try some other time, but I've run out of pecans. And I think if I eat that much sugar again, I may actually die.

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

Test Pattern posted:

Can I request a PM too? I make a basic Texan pecan pie whenever the occasion calls for it, and have done some basic candying and such, and figure i could pick my game up.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
Can I get it too, please? Is the danger just the caramel, are we actually at the point where Serious Eats readers can't be trusted to make caramel?

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Maybe it’s because we don’t do lots of pies, but the NYT bourbon pecan pie is incredibly easy and works out great every time. There are suggested tweaks in the comments that I can’t remember off hand though.

w4ddl3d33
Sep 30, 2022

BIKE HARDER, YOUNG BLOOD
i work in a gay sex shop and i got given about five kg of crisco that we couldn't sell as a gift! give me your pie crust recipes right now

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

w4ddl3d33 posted:

i work in a gay sex shop and i got given about five kg of crisco that we couldn't sell as a gift! give me your pie crust recipes right now

cream pie

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

w4ddl3d33 posted:

Single crust:

1½ cups all-purpose flour
2 tablespoons sugar
½ teaspoon salt
½ cup cold nonhydrogenated shortening
4 tablespoons or more ice water
2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar

1. Sift together the flour, sugar, and salt. Cut in the shortening (using forks; pastry cutter; fingers; food processor; robot slaves) to form a crumbly dough.

2. Stir together 4 tablespoons of the ice water and vinegar, then drizzle a third of it over the flour. Gently mix to moisten, drizzle in another third of the liquid, and mix to moisten. Repeat with the remaining mixture until the dough forms a soft ball when pressed together. If it hasn’t come together yet, sprinkle it with another tablespoon (or more) of ice water until the dough can be gathered into a ball. Wrap it in plastic wrap or sandwich between waxed paper and refrigerate for an hour.

3. When you’re ready to roll out the crust, tear off a 14-inch piece of waxed paper or baking parchment and lightly sprinkle it with flour. Flatten the dough into a disk and place it in the center of the paper. Using a lightly floured rolling pin in long, even strokes, roll out the dough into a circle about 12 inches in diameter. Occasionally rotate the dough while you’re rolling to help form an even circle.

4. To transfer the dough to a pie plate, slide your hand underneath the center of the paper and quickly flip it onto the plate. Peel off the paper and gently press the dough into the plate; if necessary, trim any overhanging dough edges with a sharp knife, leaving about 1½ inches of dough for the crimped edge. Crimp the edges as desired.

Double crust:

Makes one 9-inch top and bottom crust

2½ cups all-purpose flour
½ teaspoon salt
3 tablespoons sugar
8 tablespoons cold nonhydrogenated margarine
8 tablespoons cold nonhydrogenated shortening
6 tablespoons ice water
1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar

1. In a large mixing bowl, sift together the flour and salt. Mix in the sugar. Add half the margarine and shortening by about half tablespoonfuls, cutting it into the flour with your fingers or a pastry cutter, until the flour appears pebbly. Add the remaining margarine and shortening, and cut it into the flour.

2. In a cup, mix together 4 tablespoons of the ice water with the apple cider vinegar. Drizzle the water and vinegar mixture into the flour by the tablespoonful, gently mixing it after each addition. Knead the dough a few times, adding more water until it holds together. You may need only the 4 tablespoons, but add up to 2 more tablespoons if needed.

3. Divide the dough in two, roll each half into a ball, then press them into disks and wrap each in plastic wrap. Refrigerate them until ready to use, or use as directed in the recipe.

Bollock Monkey
Jan 21, 2007

The Almighty
One of the best days was when I had savoury pie for tea and sweet pie for pudding. I have never made my own pie because I am a coward.

Test Pattern
Dec 20, 2007

Keep scrolling, clod!
Just sent recipe to requesters. Again, at the request of Stella Parks, please don't post it publicly . Further samizdat is fine, though.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

I've been going down a rabbit hole of pie decorations, wondering if anyone here has made a pie along these lines or tasted one:

My gut says you eat with your eyes and the patterned bits give you more texture in the mouth which could be nice.

...But maybe all the small bits of pastry would overcook or just fall off? I don't feel like you see restaurants, even fancy ones, adding this many tiny leaves to their bakes. Curious if that's for a reason besides the time commitment.

Asking before I go off the deep end and buy a handful of pastry moulds.

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

CatstropheWaitress posted:

...But maybe all the small bits of pastry would overcook or just fall off? I don't feel like you see restaurants, even fancy ones, adding this many tiny leaves to their bakes. Curious if that's for a reason besides the time commitment.

Even at really nice places the pastry program is often an afterthought. And places with a serious pastry program are following different trends. That style of decoration is a little dated. Nothing wrong with it and it's absolutely art, it just doesn't really fit into most restaurants' business models. The labor cost is certainly a factor.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Every year Billions of dollars and millions of hours of human effort go into making pies. Think if instead of doing all that to make a disgustingly sweet confection, we used it instead to feed and house the indigent?

Pie is a crime against humanity, if you really think about.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

bird with big dick posted:

Every year Billions of dollars and millions of hours of human effort go into making pies. Think if instead of doing all that to make a disgustingly sweet confection

I don't know what recipe you're using for your steak and kidney but you should probably find a better one.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
I made this apple pie recently and learned two things.
1) Custard does not freeze well
2) Custard can be fixed by putting it back in the oven for like 15 mins

w4ddl3d33
Sep 30, 2022

BIKE HARDER, YOUNG BLOOD
today i suddenly remembered my favourite poster in the chippie my dad would go to when i was a kid, and i felt like sharing

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Is there something in the water? Pie thread (proper pies) also just popped up in the fast food subforum https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4020844

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

Grimey Drawer

You don't laminate the dough at all?

Also, I always feel like I add too much water. I always end up using the entire amount. But it always seems to need it or it doesn't come together.
But maybe that is that why I always seem to need to parbake my crusts even when the recipe doesn't ask for it? Or am I just using my oven wrong?
I always use the very simple recipe with just flour, sugar, salt, butter, and water.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Shadow0 posted:

You don't laminate the dough at all?
Not for pie crusts, nope.

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009
Cake is pie adjacent right?

Made an almond yellow cake with a blueberry filling (cooked and strained the bloobs) and a lemon butter frosting (think buttercream, but no vanilla or cream and just substitute lemon juice and zest for the cream). poo poo is phenomenal!

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Almond cake is amazing. That looks great! :)

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009
Thanks!

Even better today than it was yesterday. The flavors have developed a bit more and the blueberry feels more present. The lemon juice in the frosting isn't as intense and the oils from the zest are more pronounced. 9/10

I overbeat my cake batter, so I lost some volume and the cake didn't rise as much as I would've like so the cake is a lil dense, but very moist. It'd really help if I had a stand mixer instead of trying to use a hand mixer that goes way too fast, but I'm not about to not eat this cake so I'll consider it a win regardless.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

I made pie

Bout a kilo of beef, bacon, couple onions, 250ml of stock (or so), half a can or guiness and some garlic etc cooked for a few hours for the filling, made a par baked hot water crust base and topped with puff.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Pablo Bluth posted:

Also,

FIGHT ME!

pandy fackler
Jun 2, 2020

If all goes well I'm making a pie this weekend and filling it with aloo korma.

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Made a steak and ale pie last night, was amazing.

Eat more meat pies.

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009
I made a key lime cheesecake yesterday. Still need to top it today with whipped cream and mango slices. Just waiting for it to come up to temp.

Prebaking

Post baking

Released from the springform

It collapsed in on itself a bit. Think I overwhipped it a bit and baked it just slightly too long, but I'm 100% confident it'll be delicious. If anything it collapsing slightly will help it hold the topping better.

Edit:

Here it is all finished

Unfortunately I couldn't find any mangoes that were super ripe, so they were a bit tough to cut. Still delicious af overall.

dog nougat fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Jul 25, 2023

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Spuckuk posted:

Eat more (meat) pies.

:hmmyes:

Mods?!

I've been having a lot more success on my pieing by cooking them longer and without the top heater on. I feel dumb not realizing for so long how undercooked I was leaving the bottoms. Now they come out sooo much easier from the tin and hold up so much better.

I also got these rad pie birds:

They're living the dream:

All locked in!

And into the oven:

In the end, I made a blueberry, a blackberry, an apple, and a cherry pie:

Did I need the pie birds? No.
Did they even help? No.
But I think they look great!

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

I looked up Stella Parks, and this tip for pecan pie is genius.

quote:

The filling goes in a pre-baked shell. Stella's recipe for Old Fashioned All-Butter Flaky Pie Crust is the one to go with. One elegant tip she offers is to line the unbaked shell with aluminum foil and fill it to the brim with sugar. Works way better than pie weights or beans. And after an hour in the oven the sugar will have toasted slightly, giving it more depth of flavor, making it the perfect choice for the caramel the filling is based on.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
That works for any sweet pie where you have to blind bake the crust!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

adeadcrab
Feb 1, 2006

Objectifying women is cool and normal

BlindSite posted:

I made pie

Bout a kilo of beef, bacon, couple onions, 250ml of stock (or so), half a can or guiness and some garlic etc cooked for a few hours for the filling, made a par baked hot water crust base and topped with puff.

Now that’s a pie