Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

fat people can burn like inside out candles

if your fat starts burning, your clothes can start to soak the melting fat and function like a candle wick, except that the wick covers the fuel source

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wick_effect

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mary_Reeser

fucken hell

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.
if you like learning things like this theres a whole thread of these personal anecdotes in the list forum

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

That's a high quality avatar right there.

ChubbyChecker posted:

if your fat starts burning, your clothes can start to soak the melting fat and function like a candle wick, except that the wick covers the fuel source

fucken hell

Yeah man I remember seeing this on the Spontaneous Human Combustion documentary on the Discovery Channel. 12 year old me was wicked creeped out by that, as ridiculous as it was looking back.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

i learned that 50% of dads in the 80s had never changed a diaper

flubber nuts
Oct 5, 2005

minnesota just has this weird chunk in canada... wtf. they didnt teach me this in schoo!!!

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Do you think you could chew your own arm off to get out of a bear trap? Like, if you had bbq sauce. :thunk:

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
The number 3 is just the number 8 with a bite taken out of it

Icochet
Mar 18, 2008

I have a very small TV. Don't make fun of it! Please don't shame it like that~

Grimey Drawer
Did some genealogy and found out I'm a princess

Buce
Dec 23, 2005

apparently, a whole bunch of people around the world think that their idea of god(s) is the right one? and they'll fuckin fight over it, too. hjave you heard about this, op?

bossy lady
Jul 9, 1983

ClamdestineBoyster posted:

Do you think you could chew your own arm off to get out of a bear trap? Like, if you had bbq sauce. :thunk:

blood is natures bbq sauce

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

That's a high quality avatar right there.

Icochet posted:

Did some genealogy and found out I'm a princess

That termite colony is really thriving

Vakal
May 11, 2008
That Sarah Kerrigan the Queen of Blades is just a pun on Nancy Kerrigan the figure skater.

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER

Bloodfart McCoy posted:

Yeah man I remember seeing this on the Spontaneous Human Combustion documentary on the Discovery Channel. 12 year old me was wicked creeped out by that, as ridiculous as it was looking back.

I think I learned all that on the Pop Up Video for Pardon Me by Incubus.

Chicken Butt
Oct 27, 2010
I was just told that this forum is both dead AND gay, can anyone confirm??

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

Chicken Butt posted:

I'm gay so I can also tell when other things are gay and I tell you what these forums are very gay
And dead

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

borkborkborkmorkmorkmork-gabbalooins

Chicken Butt posted:

Makes Leslie Jordan look alive and straight.

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

Pictured: The Wolf Of Gubbio (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
I only learned about a month ago that Joan Jett's "I Love Rock 'n' Roll" was a cover.

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
i love cock and balls put another dime in my jukebox baby

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

bossy lady posted:

blood is natures bbq sauce

You’re allowed to make a little fire and cook the arm a little, and you can use your shirt for a wet mop. It’s up to you if you just like a dry rub, but you are limited to the salts and sages and lemongrass of the area for spice. Pepper and mustard is out of reach. Start gnawin or lay down like a dog and die? :thunkin:

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Welp, something I JUST LEARNED is that these things have a release mechanism. God I’m so full, and I’ve burned through a whole bottle of KC Masterpiece. Sometimes the clearest path to a goal isn’t always the one that builds the most character. :shrug:

blight rhino
Feb 11, 2014

EXQUISITE LURKER RHINO

Nap Ghost
scientists believe that the first person to live to 150 years of age, has already been born.

and the 8 billionth person was born this year. but really, whos counting

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003
For twelve years, you have been asking: Who is John Galt? This is John Galt speaking. I am the man who loves his life. I am the man who does not sacrifice his love or his values. I am the man who has deprived you of victims and thus has destroyed your world, and if you wish to know why you are peris

Just gonna read this whole thread in this voice:

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Vakal posted:

That Sarah Kerrigan the Queen of Blades is just a pun on Nancy Kerrigan the figure skater.

Holy poo poo that's funny.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope
I was doing a little pre-joke research and learned that there is already a Mambo No. 6

Rahu
Feb 14, 2009

let me just check my figures real quick here
Grimey Drawer
I'm no doctor but if your fat has ignited you are probably already dead, imo.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
Gene Roddenberry wanted the Ferengi to have three foot long dicks.

I didn't really just learn that, but perhaps you did.

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER

blight rhino posted:

scientists believe that the first person to live to 150 years of age, has already been born.

i hope they get hit by a bus in their 30s

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

sigher posted:

Holy poo poo that's funny.

gently caress yeah

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

Animal-Mother posted:

Gene Roddenberry wanted the Ferengi to have three foot long dicks.

I didn't really just learn that, but perhaps you did.

Ferengi duck dick seems to track.

Blow
Feb 10, 2004

Nuts and Gum posted:

Ferengi duck dick seems to track.

Speaking of ducks. If you washed a duck in warm water and detergent, then again with dry-cleaning fluid to remove all the natural oils from its feathers, would it still float on top of water or would it absorb the water like a sponge, become less buoyant and sink?

I wish to learn this, I figured maybe this thread would be the place.

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

Blow posted:

Speaking of ducks. If you washed a duck in warm water and detergent, then again with dry-cleaning fluid to remove all the natural oils from its feathers, would it still float on top of water or would it absorb the water like a sponge, become less buoyant and sink?

Reported for potential duck abuse

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003
For twelve years, you have been asking: Who is John Galt? This is John Galt speaking. I am the man who loves his life. I am the man who does not sacrifice his love or his values. I am the man who has deprived you of victims and thus has destroyed your world, and if you wish to know why you are peris

YeahTubaMike posted:

I was doing a little pre-joke research and learned that there is already a Mambo No. 6

Mambo No. 8 was used in the opening scene of Office Space.

Outpost22
Oct 11, 2012

RIP Screamy You were too good for this world.
There's a German opera that's like 15 hours long.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Outpost22 posted:

There's a German opera that's like 15 hours long.

That's not abnormal

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

Keromaru5 posted:

I only learned about a month ago that Joan Jett's "I Love Rock 'n' Roll" was a cover.

I recently learned that Quarterflash’s “Harden My Heart” is a re-recording of the same song by the same band under the previous band name of Seafood Mama. The original was recorded in 1980 and was a local hit in Portland, Oregon.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZL5LcNk8y1E

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022

got me 50 ounces out a bird in this bitch

ChubbyChecker posted:

fucken hell

i got this bud who used to do crimey poo poo in chi, waaaay back, like, got in at seventh grade moving pills for an older sibling at school, moved up to higher level weight poo poo pretty fast, had connects with LKs and BDs, rus mob and w/e.

fwiw before i get to the real stuff: he's a great person now, totally reformed & living a good life.
but got in young and was getting paid like, bottles in the VIP & sports cars at fifteen years old paid, and didn't understand all of what he was getting into until it was too late.

by the time he realized he had to get out, he couldn't, bc he'd made serious commitments to serious people, like, "kill you and your family if you intentionally gently caress up their money" serious.

he did manage to get out at about 18, (relatively) smoothly - by then most of his partners were already dead from street poo poo, some in prison, and he ended up catching some heavy drug charges that interfered with his ability to operate local, which probably saved his life - even after that he still had to coordinate stuff from outta state over a prepay for a good minute so that stuff was in order, so he could retire.

that kind of life is loving horrific and all-encompassing. p. much everyone has to become a monster just to stay alive.
even if you are making stacks and not having any particular trouble, nothing really has any value as long as you're in the street drug game, but particularly human life.

especially long term value, long term risk assessment, they just don't exist for that world. why get some minimum wage job, or try to graduate, get your GED, or go to college? you might not pass, let alone find a job that makes it worth it, you might not even live to graduation.

that combination of the paranoia, the desperation of poverty, and the almost deathcultish normalization of violence and crime from existing without any hope for anything better leads to violence, theft, and murder becoming the go-to for not only solving problems, but for attempting to avoid them.

sidenote, since im sure at least few ppl who read this are thinking about it by this point: ive talked about the wire with him and what he said was the biggest details it got wrong are that the most active street kids are, and start out, younger, that there's muuuch more violence and death, and that org. crime has far, far fewer issues with the justice system.
dirty lawyers out the rear end, bribes, hush money. big charges just go away, or get a slap on the wrist. no irl McNulties solving stuff bc the cops are either on the payroll, or are so criminally incompetent that they cause more problems than the dirty ones

anyways, one time we got really drunk, and he just sorta broke down and told me about seeing this 350-400lb dude's body getting torched in a shallow ditch. my boy wasn't a shooter, didn't have anything to do with this guy dying directly, but when bad things went down in certain places or associated to certain things, he still had an obligation to make sure it didn't go more sideways than it did. can't risk making other people think you're leaving them hanging.

he explained that normally bodies would get run down to sketch crematoriums just out of state, like in Indiana, Missouri. but this guy was too big for whoever had killed him to transport.

said the body went up like a bonfire, flames 9ft+ high, but it burned HOT, and FAST. said it haunted him, was one of those things you can't unsee or ever forget, and that it'd just flash into his head, the heat, the sound, the smell, just out of nowhere, often. i can't even imagine, like, that conversation alone is something i can't ever forget and it was well over a decade ago.

makes that geto boys line, "candlesticks in the night, visions of bodies bein burned" hit different, that's for fuckin' sure

well, enjoy your Friday!

Costco Meatballs
Oct 21, 2022

by Pragmatica
That's clipping. Definitely not the geto boys lol.

ncumbered_by_idgits
Sep 20, 2008

I can text on an airplane at altitude. I had no idea.

Wifi Toilet
Oct 1, 2004

Toilet Rascal

flubber nuts posted:

minnesota just has this weird chunk in canada... wtf. they didnt teach me this in schoo!!!

:eyepop: My sister lives in Minnesota and I never noticed this little triangle popping out on the top of the map before.

YeahTubaMike posted:

Lol, I think we read the same thread. I was going to make the same joke and started googling. I got up to Mambo No. 11 before I stopped, how many Mambos are there?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ortho
Jul 6, 2021

Blow posted:

There was a Perry Mason book about that very subject called The Case of the Drowning Duck. I think the title answers your question.