Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oglethorpe
Aug 8, 2005

publications getting hit, gawker shut down

https://twitter.com/emmawebsta/status/1620859461723389953

https://twitter.com/TimcastNews/status/1620912175685713922
https://twitter.com/nowthisnews/status/1620918164027748353
https://twitter.com/scottlincicome/status/1620841466531827714
https://twitter.com/merissahansen17/status/1620830922328399872

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin

lol

Janitor Ludwich IV
Jan 25, 2019

by vyelkin
i have a dream that you will all be unemployed for a long time

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️
what do you mean MLK didn't actually liked libs

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin
Guide to Writing "Your being layed off speeches"

Tip 1: Do not quote ... anyone

There is no rousing famous youre fired speech

Adjectivist Philosophy
Oct 6, 2003

When you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss also gazes into you.
Just do one of those down tempo covers of an old pop song that are all the rage. Maybe something by semisonic, yeah, that would be tasteful

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

A Bakers Cousin posted:

But I still want my terminated employees to like me

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Janitor Ludwich IV posted:

i have a dream that you will all be unemployed for a long time

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Adjectivist Philosophy posted:

Just do one of those down tempo covers of an old pop song that are all the rage. Maybe something by semisonic, yeah, that would be tasteful

*extremely breathy white girl voice*

closing time...
open all the doors and... let you out... into the world...

*cinematic BWOOOOOOOM sound*

closing time...
turn off all the lights on... over every boy and every girl

*cinematic BWOOOOOOOM sound*

Honky Mao
Dec 26, 2012

This poo poo better not affect the super bowl

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer

lmao at the single sheet panel for the entire driver's side of the truck

Megamissen
Jul 19, 2022

any post can be a kannapost
if you want it to be

A Bakers Cousin posted:

:chaostrump:

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.

The MLK quote is this:
"the ultimate measure of a [leader] is not where [they] stand in the moments of comfort and convenience, but where [they] stand in times of challenge and controversy."
It just sounds like she's criticizing herself to me.

A Bakers Cousin posted:

There is, and you just quoted it.

Janitor Ludwich IV
Jan 25, 2019

by vyelkin

Weka posted:

The MLK quote is this:
"the ultimate measure of a [leader] is not where [they] stand in the moments of comfort and convenience, but where [they] stand in times of challenge and controversy."
It just sounds like she's criticizing herself to me.

There is, and you just quoted it.

You could interpret it as her congratulating herself for still having a job, unlike those poors.

Adjectivist Philosophy
Oct 6, 2003

When you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss also gazes into you.
It's absolutely self congratulation for not just sending a mass email

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

This post is dedicated to the brave Mujahideen fighters of Afghanistan
briefly considered a free at last quote at the top of a resignation letter

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

https://twitter.com/CNBC/status/1621546151911514114

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

This post is dedicated to the brave Mujahideen fighters of Afghanistan

drat that’s wild that 5 million people never had jobs or income until Brandon made new ones this year

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

i need a dang interview mr brandon

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

"grim news" - nytimes

Tempora Mutantur
Feb 22, 2005

probably a dumb question to ask about the demon cracker nation's admin, but:

are newly hired contractors counted in the "added 517,000 jobs" or is that only FTEs/W2 employees

ProperGanderPusher
Jan 13, 2012

Dreylad posted:

"grim news" - nytimes

Very normal and sane economy where at least 5% of people are supposed to be jobless to prevent runaway inflation while we scream at them to get jobs and provide a sorry excuse for a social safety net.

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

100 bps rate hike incoming.

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

Xaris posted:

if he's computer touching, everyone says it's super easy to find another computer touching job and they're in super high demand. so he should be fine.
this is what the landlord's mom told me when he showed up out of the blue one day to evict me BC he wanted the whole space for himself.

I am still unemployed, although thankfully not homeless atm.

Oglethorpe
Aug 8, 2005

https://twitter.com/WSJ/status/1623451618900410368

paul_soccer12
Jan 5, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
Gayoffs

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

quote:

Since 2019, when Disney+ launched, the segment has lost more than $9 billion, as the company spends heavily on content to attract subscribers. Mr. Iger is under pressure to achieve the company’s goal of profitability for its streaming business in fiscal 2024.

:laffo:

Even when people were still pretending to care about COVID, they couldn't turn a profit on their direct-to-consumer division (Disney+, Hulu, ESPN+).

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

KirbyKhan posted:

Philadelphia fed are pumping out numbers that do not corroborate the federal fed numbers

https://twitter.com/zerohedge/status/1603476265960411143

(source report in article)

Another article from someone with less followers than zerohedge if you don't like zerohedge

lol i was like "how old is this thread?" and i clicked on the source report here out of curiousity and saw that its gone :) :) :)

Oglethorpe
Aug 8, 2005

anime was right posted:

lol i was like "how old is this thread?" and i clicked on the source report here out of curiousity and saw that its gone :) :) :)

here you go

https://web.archive.org/web/2022121...2-q2-report.pdf

Ghosthotel
Dec 27, 2008

got caught in this big layoff today

https://www.cnbc.com/amp/2023/02/08/affirm-cuts-19percent-of-workforce-shares-tank-on-earnings-miss.html

the scene in the group chat was kind of wild, we got the announcement of the workforce cut and we’re told that we’d find out in several
minutes if we we’re getting laid off like it was a lottery. Then whoever was in charge of revoking privileges on our work station got a little trigger happy and people started disappearing from
the work chat in the middle of being confused and asking what the hell was happening. Id already been planning on going somewhere else so it didn’t piss me off that much but uh my coworker who gives birth in 5 days was not thrilled.

Oglethorpe
Aug 8, 2005

Ghosthotel posted:

https://www.cnbc.com/amp/2023/02/08/affirm-cuts-19percent-of-workforce-shares-tank-on-earnings-miss.html

the scene in the group chat was kind of wild, we got the announcement of the workforce cut and we’re told that we’d find out in several
minutes if we we’re getting laid off like it was a lottery. Then whoever was in charge of revoking privileges on our work station got a little trigger happy and people started disappearing from
the work chat in the middle of being confused and asking what the hell was happening. Id already been planning on going somewhere else so it didn’t piss me off that much but uh my coworker who gives birth in 5 days was not thrilled.

what does Affirm do

also drat 20%

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Oglethorpe posted:

what does Affirm do

also drat 20%

They're a point of sale consumer loan company, one of the really big ones. Buy now, pay later stuff. For a while they were absolutely making GBS threads out 0% loans for basically everything.

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

Paradoxish posted:

They're a point of sale consumer loan company, one of the really big ones. Buy now, pay later stuff. For a while they were absolutely making GBS threads out 0% loans for basically everything.

I was gonna say, aren't they the ones who keep showing up as PAY IN FOUR EASY PAYMENTS on like every loving web site now? And sure enough, yep.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Kreeblah posted:

I was gonna say, aren't they the ones who keep showing up as PAY IN FOUR EASY PAYMENTS on like every loving web site now? And sure enough, yep.

I think they do loans all the way out to 48 months for really big stuff, probably at crazy APRs now.

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

The bourgeoisie cannot exist without constantly revolutionising the instruments of production, and thereby the relations of production, and with them the whole relations of society. Conservation of the old modes of production in unaltered form, was, on the contrary, the first condition of existence for all earlier industrial classes. Constant revolutionising of production, uninterrupted disturbance of all social conditions, everlasting uncertainty and agitation distinguish the bourgeois epoch from all earlier ones. All fixed, fast-frozen relations, with their train of ancient and venerable prejudices and opinions, are swept away, all new-formed ones become antiquated before they can ossify. All that is solid melts into air, all that is holy is profaned, and man is at last compelled to face with sober senses his real conditions of life, and his relations with his kind.

Minecraft Holmes
Oct 21, 2016

Ghosthotel posted:

sounds like your ex-coworker is about to make a lot of money from a lawsuit lol

Telluric Whistler
Sep 14, 2008

Vomik posted:

drat that’s wild that 5 million people never had jobs or income until Brandon made new ones this year

I feel like the jobs report if it was tracked cumulatively would end up with like "There's are 1.7 jobs for every labor force participant!" insanity.

What are jobs?

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

anime was right posted:

Hell yeah!

Hell yeah!!!

Ghosthotel
Dec 27, 2008

Paradoxish posted:

I think they do loans all the way out to 48 months for really big stuff, probably at crazy APRs now.

Depends. Certain vendors (peloton, amazon, other big brands) had a guarantee of 0% apr no matter how bad someone’s credit was as part of whatever hosed up contract they had with said vendors but i’d see people with 2 year long loans with like 25%+ APR where they were essentially paying double the price if they were just paying monthly minimum. I already had one foot out the door here so i’m glad to no longer have to look at people being tricked into absolutely awful loan agreements

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MickeyFinn
May 8, 2007
Biggie Smalls and Junior Mafia some mark ass bitches

Ghosthotel posted:

Ehh, it’s not so bad. The USA needs poor people, too.