Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

is it easier to weather a recession in the public sector, academia etc? is there a delay in impact compared to private industry?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

gradenko_2000 posted:

I heard it from the grapevine that Zoom is starting a "responsible spending" initiative involving cutting "non-essential expenditures" and there's already been a first wave of layoffs, and they're shutting down nearly all of their offshore offices

are they gonna start charging for zoom ?

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

do layoffs tend to pick up after holidays?

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Not sure it was mentioned yet but the engineering director of meta reality labs also left at the same time as carmack. Is reality labs going to be around much longer?

quote:

META-Facebook Executive Joins Quantarium Visual Labs
Quantarium
News provided by

Dec 14, 2022, 09:07 ET

Senior Director at META Reality Labs to lead AI-based Visual Technologies for Northwest Real Estate Technology Firm

BELLEVUE, Wash., Dec. 14, 2022 /PRNewswire/ -- Claudiu Bulai, who led the engineering organization of renowned META-Facebook Reality Labs Research, the innovation organization enabling META's Augmented and Virtual Reality (AR/VR) initiatives, has joined Quantarium as Chief Innovation Officer.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Pentecoastal Elites posted:

I think if you're in a computer touching job and you produce something that isn't completely critical for an industry or already has an established and consistent user base you'll want to start looking for something else. I suspect anything that runs on ad revenue is going to see massive layoffs as well, but maybe not as soon as the others.

you can generalize this to “if you’re in the private sector and your job is in one of the business’s cost centers, hold on to your butt”

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Xaris posted:

I’d agree. and with how absurdly bloated the ad-tech unicorn vc industry got there’s a lot of blood to shed and it should have been obvious those Sillycon Valley heydays were numbered

the fun question is: are rents going to drop in Williamsburg/Brooklyn, LA, Portland, Seattle, Denver, or Bay Area?

Seattle rents seem to be falling noticeably compared to july when I was last looking.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

I still ain’t found a job but I got really close like 3 times. I shouldn’t have quit in the summer but I hated it!!

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Hatebag posted:

Phew, turns out my boss quit. Hatebag stays winning

Owned

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Xaris posted:

if he's computer touching, everyone says it's super easy to find another computer touching job and they're in super high demand. so he should be fine.

I been out of work since august although I didn’t really start applying until late October when I sorted my head out. I keep getting real close then rejected, and there are a lot of mass rejections these days due to hiring feeezes. Im not bad at computer. maybe xenophobia? idk it sucks.

btw today is the day of Saint Xenia of St Petersburg

quote:

Saint Xenia is especially invoked for help in finding employment, lodging, or a spouse

🙏 🤲 📿🛐🧎

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Found some exciting opportunities

https://twitter.com/workwithusaid/status/1618677895727308801
https://twitter.com/usaidoti/status/1618640054418657282