Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

Cloks posted:

a nice South African

just Breyten Breytenbach, and he emigrated to Paris

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.
We need a racist term for white South Africans that includes Anglos.

Pobrecito
Jun 16, 2020

hasta que la muerte nos separe
the aurora bomber

Trixie Hardcore
Jul 1, 2006

Placeholder.
A nuke you smuggle in your butt.

Trixie Hardcore
Jul 1, 2006

Placeholder.
A pill that makes you psychic but only gives you the ability of guessing what card someone is holding.

Trixie Hardcore
Jul 1, 2006

Placeholder.
An underwater drilling project that discovered a civilization of mole people living underground that evolved parallel to ours but the drill damaged the elaborate cave system protecting the mole people, letting the ocean in and drowning all the mole people so they just left them there.

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.
Hitler's preserved testicle.

Trixie Hardcore
Jul 1, 2006

Placeholder.
That wouldn’t be top secret, they would have put that in a traveling show to pay off war debt and you could pay a nickel to step on a replica.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Trixie Hardcore posted:

An underwater drilling project that discovered a civilization of mole people living underground that evolved parallel to ours but the drill damaged the elaborate cave system protecting the mole people, letting the ocean in and drowning all the mole people so they just left them there.

:hmmyes: life evolved first in the ocean it makes sense theres some other smart stuff down there and it makes double sense that we killed it

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

A big hole in the ground where all your fantastic ideas go

Trixie Hardcore
Jul 1, 2006

Placeholder.
Super intelligent rat king made out of lab rats that they lured into a disused bunker and sealed up in hopes it would just die but scientists were pretty sure it’s immortal and nobody has the guts to check.

Weka
May 5, 2019

Trixie Hardcore posted:

That wouldn’t be top secret, they would have put that in a traveling show to pay off war debt and you could pay a nickel to step on a replica.

They would if it wasn't preserved in Argentina.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

Gravid Topiary posted:

4.) a crewed and stealthed space-station, orbiting the earth

could have something to do with that weird unmanned space place the navy releases terse announcement about ever year or two. at the very least you know the US has got SEALS living in a tin can wired on amphetamines 24/7 up there just in case

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Manned_Orbiting_Laboratory

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Your gripes are legit but only as the dying craw of a senile old man who hates you, in the form of a senator

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Your pussy stank and there's nothing you can do about it unless you repent to our Lord moloch, and make it convincing or you'll die a fucker's death sucking sluice from a drainage pipe.

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

Trixie Hardcore posted:

Underwater lab but everyone died so they just left them there.

there's probably abandoned labs full of horrors all over the place

Bear Retrieval Unit
Nov 5, 2009

Mudslide Experiment
underwater labs, but as in labradors that can breath underwater.

Nosfereefer
Jun 15, 2011

IF YOU FIND THIS POSTER OUTSIDE BYOB, PLEASE RETURN THEM. WE ARE VERY WORRIED AND WE MISS THEM
in 1998 the us govt developed the ultimate video game, but kept it hidden ever since out of fear that it would make gamers too powerful

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Beeftweeter posted:

the cia has probably spent billions trying to find the brown note

I 100% unironically believe this.

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Azathoth posted:

I 100% unironically believe this.

there could be other reasons youre constantly making GBS threads your pants

Pobrecito
Jun 16, 2020

hasta que la muerte nos separe
I 100% believe we’ve developed “rod of god” tungsten rods in orbit that when selenites have the same explosive impact as a nuclear bomb

Hatebag
Jun 17, 2008

Pobrecito posted:

I 100% believe we’ve developed “rod of god” tungsten rods in orbit that when selenites have the same explosive impact as a nuclear bomb

The only problem with that would be targeting it accurately but that's probably not a big concern if you're trying to make a man-made apocalypse. I buy it

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Hatebag posted:

The only problem with that would be targeting it accurately but that's probably not a big concern if you're trying to make a man-made apocalypse. I buy it

i think that free fall motion is kind of a solved problem

would require you to have those things in orbit over whatever you want to hit though

Hatebag
Jun 17, 2008

Cerebral Bore posted:

i think that free fall motion is kind of a solved problem

would require you to have those things in orbit over whatever you want to hit though

If you just dump a garbage can full of tungsten rods from a satellite they'll go all over the dang place and they would just kind of float around for a while if they weren't being propelled from the satellite. a big selling point of the rods from god is that they can penetrate hundreds of feet underground to kill bunkers, so aiming it is an important part. I'd think you'd wanna use a launcher similar to the thing that shoots a pinball out on a pinball machine but i guess you'd need pretty powerful chemical rockets on the opposite side of the satellite to keep the satellite from moving.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

my bony fealty posted:

there could be other reasons youre constantly making GBS threads your pants

seems unlikely, Occam's Razr

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
does it matter if the satellite moves though? i feel like if you're in a situation where you're gonna start the orbital bombardment then the satellites themselves would be considered expendable

also i think that free fall motion with an initial momentum is also a solved problem

Hatebag
Jun 17, 2008

Cerebral Bore posted:

does it matter if the satellite moves though? i feel like if you're in a situation where you're gonna start the orbital bombardment then the satellites themselves would be considered expendable

also i think that free fall motion with an initial momentum is also a solved problem

If the satellite moves after firing a 10000 kg rod, that changes the targeting for the next shot. The thing would have been built in the 50s or 60s if it exists so it would probably have some pretty simple components and you'd wanna keep everything in it as simple as possible. I think you'd need to aim it to have it be worthwhile compared to icbms.
One advantage of the rods vs icbms is no residual radiation. But thinking about that for a second in a global nuke war you'd want that radiation to keep your enemy from rebuilding.
Hmm, i guess another advantage is that it would be hard to detect a launch, so i suppose it's a first strike weapon that could be combined with effective missile defense to just go whole hog

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
if you're putting a 10000kg+ satellite in orbit with 50s or 60s tech you're probably not gonna have multiple rods on the same satellite, though

e: unless they had a bunch of secret saturn v launches somehow :tinfoil:

Cerebral Bore has issued a correction as of 15:53 on Dec 20, 2022

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Jetpack that doesn't set your shoes on fire

Hatebag
Jun 17, 2008

Cerebral Bore posted:

if you're putting a 10000kg+ satellite in orbit with 50s or 60s tech you're probably not gonna have multiple rods on the same satellite, though

e: unless they had a bunch of secret saturn v launches somehow :tinfoil:

i guess they coulda just put a bunch of single shot space derringers all over the place, but i think that might have raised suspicions. Although a handful aimed at really important targets would be plausible and could probably be hidden inside satellites with a legal justification

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Cerebral Bore posted:

idk, they can barely predict where big satellites coming down are gonna hit. those rods on a satellite aren’t falling straight down, they’ll be in relatively high orbits because you don’t want that orbit decaying and that stuff falling down unpredictably if the satellite malfunctions or something

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

youd need like a nuclear bomb just to launch that tungsten rod out of orbit and back down to earth. either that or your looking at a gradual orbital decay that looks like this and takes days

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

consumer electronics printer that doesn't suck rear end

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

op's penis

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

oh opps thougth teh thread title was top secret things that dont exist

guidoanselmi
Feb 6, 2008

I thought my ideas were so clear. I wanted to make an honest post. No lies whatsoever.

secret nasa mars colony of ubermenschen fulfilling von Braun's dream

Trixie Hardcore
Jul 1, 2006

Placeholder.

Pobrecito posted:

I don’t believe this but I do believe there’s a garbage can full of tungsten rods that they sent up but they just got all over the dang place and floated around so they just left them there

Trixie Hardcore
Jul 1, 2006

Placeholder.

guidoanselmi posted:

secret nasa mars colony of ubermenschen fulfilling von Braun's dream

:hmmyes:
But they died so NASA just left them there

Trixie Hardcore
Jul 1, 2006

Placeholder.
I think people underestimate how many top secret projects are top secret not because it would be a world changing technology but because it’s really embarrassing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

communism