Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

deep dish peat moss

It's not ready yet but if I don't post about it I'll work on it less

Next time instead of describing a character you are going to choose a place on a map for a character to be created. And as soon as you receive one you can sign up for another.

I can't start it until I'm done with the map though

Anyway my overambitious plan is to then find some way to, I don't know, ai generate a brief 1-paragraph footnote about each character, and chronicle the story of this world, and update the map over time (a character builds a tower or a city is founded or whatever). So maybe you pick a point in the forest and I draw a forest character and then AI-generate the story, then you get to name them, and if they became like the monarch of the woods or something you would get to name the woods too.

I don't know how it will work out this is just a prototype of something I'd like to do on a much larger scale hopefully.

Anyway if you are Prof. Crocodile or Finger Prince or Sarah Cenia, because I closed signups in the last thread before you signed up and didn't get a Sentient Plant Person, you may pre-emptively choose a place and I will make something like an Ancient Beast that dwells there, that you can name, or something. I don't know.

Hey check it out it's everything I drew for the last two threads plus other stuff I drew not for the threads

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deep dish peat moss

kewl

Dumb Sex-Parrot
really love what you're doing here buddy!

thank you Saoshyantx4, Plant MONSTER. and deep dish peat moss for the excellent signature

Viginti Septem

Oculus Noctuae
You may want to check out Google's AI Test Kitchen. You need an invite, but it took me like a day to get one.

They have a specific AI chat prompt for "imagining" a place/world. Where you just say, "Imagine a world that's all forests and birds and stuff" and it outputs a paragraph or two imagining that.

https://i.imgur.com/9jTkSUL.mp4
Thanks to vanisher for the paradise sig! :)

Buttchocks

No, I like my hat, thanks.
Awesome art. We're not deciding the fates of actual people/aliens, right? I feel like this is a prelude to some Ender's Game-esqe war scenario.

deep dish peat moss

Buttchocks posted:

Awesome art. We're not deciding the fates of actual people/aliens, right? I feel like this is a prelude to some Ender's Game-esqe war scenario.

So this is all still an idea I've been kicking around in my head for the last few years (most of my "Post ITT and I'll draw you a..." threads here and in GBS have pretty much been me testing whether I'm capable of handling the art yet for something like this) and it's pretty vague, but think of it more like the Silmarillion than Ender's Game. It's inspired largely by Solo RPGs/Solo Journaling Games, which are singleplayer tabletop RPGs where the player writes a story based on decisions and outcomes and mechanics provided by the game. But I wanted to do a multiplayer version of that where everyone contributes toward writing the story of some fantasy world.

The way I envision it is something like this: The world is separated into "Ages" (with each one being, idk, a few days to a week of real-time). So at the start it's the First Age. And let's say someone picks this spot:

Well okay it's the First Age still, so creatures are going to be gigantic forgotten beasts, ancient monsters, weird forest spirits, etc. So I draw a beastly thing:

It now lives in that cave. The poster who selected the cave gets to name the beast. [Some Process happens here?] and the story of that creature is determined: It's written by AI, or by the poster, or by me, I'm not sure yet. It's probably too much work for me to do it all myself, and while I'd love to let posters determine the story themselves, that makes it very difficult to keep everything consistent and in order to get interaction between the characters, would require posters paying attention to and reading every single post, which is a lot of work to expect of them. So that's why I lean toward AI.

Okay so we now know the basic story of that forgotten centipede creature in that cave. Other things happen, other creatures and beasts are created, whatever.

I perhaps update the map art? Maybe showing a little centipede crawling out of that cave or something. And on the back-end I am tracking that that cave is where that centipede beast lives.

So then over the coming IRL days/weeks, more ages happen, more creatures get created. It's the Third Age now and sentient beings are rising up and forming civilizations. Someone picks a location near that cave and gets some kind of humanoid and they end up founding a settlement. I draw a little settlement on the map. Other things happen elsewhere on the map. Then it's the Fourth Age, which is, I don't know, the Age of Heroes. And someone picks a spot near that cave. So I draw them a little swordsperson that they get to name:

And well, this is a heroic swordsman next to a cave where a forgotten centipede beast lives. So then I make the AI (or myself, or whoever) determine the outcome of what happens, whether the swordsman slays the beast or not.

Assuming they slay it, then maybe I draw a statue of them for future ages to appreciate, and write about how it got erected in the previously mentioned settlement or whatever.

All of that actual mechanical stuff is kind of unimportant and not really the focus, the focus is more on the idea that in a few IRL weeks/months, we now have a little historical encyclopedia of this cartoon world including who the important heroes were, what characters founded cities or invented technologies or whatever. Just co-op world building with the fun novelty of new art and stuff all the time :shrug:

And then I always imagined some kind of wiki you could browse afterward to see what everything's deal was and what activities different characters were involved with, and look at a hall of heroes that has statues of all of the heroes, etc.

But this is all very absurdly ambitious and I don't know what any eventual final project will look like

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Dec 19, 2022

Finger Prince

Perhaps there is a Great Wyrm (or Wurm (or Wyurm)) who lives under this mountain, eating the mountain and pooping red dirt, for the Cult of Red Dirt makes their home in the fertile plains just south of this mountain.

Heather Papps

hello friend

always fascinating to see an artists process

e: the story generation thing reminds me a lot of dwarf fortress

thanks Dumb Sex-Parrot and deep dish peat moss for this winter bounty!

Ass-penny

hi ddpm ilu let me know what I can do to help

deep dish peat moss

I gotta put the map thread idea on hold for a bit while I do some art for a card game

Heather Papps posted:

always fascinating to see an artists process

e: the story generation thing reminds me a lot of dwarf fortress
I've had this idea of basically just making an interactive virtual world that goes about its business on its own for a few years but yeah I have been playing a ton of dwarf fortress recently because I realized that's kind of what it does, and it has inspired me for the thread idea :3:

rear end-penny posted:

hi ddpm ilu let me know what I can do to help

Thank you :blush: I don't even know what I am doing so I am not sure what I need help with but if you know of a way I can make steady income just drawing strange monsters all day long I would be all about that :kiddo:

deep dish peat moss

Finger Prince posted:

Perhaps there is a Great Wyrm (or Wurm (or Wyurm)) who lives under this mountain, eating the mountain and pooping red dirt, for the Cult of Red Dirt makes their home in the fertile plains just south of this mountain.

I will draw this great wy(u)rm soon

deep dish peat moss

The whole idea with the map isn't fully formed enough yet to do it but I've been drawing things and trying to decide what I want to do.

Ohtori Akio

FRiend

deep dish peat moss

Finger Prince posted:

Here is your Wyurm

And two tanks with which it can do battle

Finger Prince

deep dish peat moss posted:

Here is your Wyurm

Brilliant! This is a fearsom dirt pooping beast if ever I saw one!

Ohtori Akio
i adore the friend shaped tanks

Ass-penny

deep dish peat moss posted:

Here is your Wyurm

you looking ready to start your new job at Games Workshop illustrating the next version of Warhammer 40k

thank you so much to nesamdoom for the scurry fall sig!

(┛◉Д◉)┛彡┻━┻ #YesNutNovember - add this to your sig if you love and support BYOB's own nut

Scuba Trooper

i love these tanks

Prof. Crocodile

amazing stuff as always ddpm! can't wait!

deep dish peat moss

I'm gonna be getting sticker sheets made soon of 72 characters at about 1.2" x 0.8" each, that I should be able to sell for around $10. I only have probably 40-45ish characters that I like and that are the right aspect ratio. So I'm sorry that I haven't followed through on the superhero team thread but I got hit by big time burnout, I am gonna post a different more generic themed thread soon to get another 20 cool things drawn to get this printed :effort:

Alternatively i might do 36 designs and double them up so I can cut them in half and sell them at half the price.

Ohtori Akio
in my view you have done an exceptional amount of drawing to people's whims for no compensation at all. so you should really not let this weigh on you in any way. tbh i look forward to more threads of whatever kind you find interesting

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deep dish peat moss

Thank you :unsmith: I'm just in my monthly end-of-month depression cycle I guess, which always immediately follows a 1-2 week productivity/focus binge so I always feel bad because suddenly my will to work crashes from where it was at. I did save up enough money to get stickers or something along those lines printed and I know the sticker game ain't what it used to be, but I think it will at least be sustainable enough to fund doing something else.