Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
It's the time of year where news folks have already baked their articles for the year as they bug out... so it's time for TECH PREDICTIONS!!!

Here's a few good ones, but I want to hear what the yospos hivemind predicts will happen in the year of our lord 2023

Amazon CTO Vogels posted:

In the coming years, every facet of every sport will undergo a digital transformation, and this will happen at every level of play, from youth basketball to professional cricket. Like music and video, sports will become data streams that we can analyze. The insights that these will unlock in the coming years will transform the entire sports industry and redefine what it means to play—and experience—every game.

From the Verge:

quote:

The media will begin its divorce from Twitter…. Alternative platforms like Mastodon, while smaller and less intuitive to use, offer a safe haven to more and more people — particularly journalists — looking for off-ramps.

From Forbes:

quote:

The metaverse” is something of a catchall term used by futurists to describe the “next level” of the internet. With this emerging technique, we can interact with brands and fellow consumers through fully immersive technology, including 3D environments and virtual reality. We also might use avatars of ourselves to describe our products and services.

quote:

Netflix will merge with another company. This one was actually mentioned twice — one executive predicted Netflix would merge with Paramount Global. The other guessed Disney, as Iger’s signature move upon returning to CEO.

Gartner posted:

By 2027, social media platform models will shift from “customer as product” to “platform as customer” of decentralized identity, sold through data markets.

My predictions:
There will be buzz about banning TikTok in the US, but nothing will happen

I predict I will buy a new computer, maybe a monitor too, and they will be good, but also bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
palmtop computers are coming back, baby

Dijkstracula
Mar 18, 2003

You can't spell 'vector field' without me, Professor!

jeffrey will re-launch the forums as a single page webapp

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
people will try to make arm windows laptops a thing. they will mostly fail, leaving windows users suck on garbage x86 laptops for another decade

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
SA will acquire twitter

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Predictions:

- There will be a Twitter clone released by a bunch of former Twitter employees. It will become the new home for the checkmark crowd, but won't ever become as big as Twitter in its heyday.

- Bubble is gonna pop, and a lot of us are going to have a really rough one for the next 18-24 months.

- There will only be 4 cloud providers of any note left at the end of 2023. AWS, Azure, GCP, and OCI (the 4 that all got the big pentagon contract). Everybody else will have gotten out of that business.

- Bitcoin under $10k by the 4th of July.

HamAdams
Jun 29, 2018

yospos
praying this is the year of the robot uprising

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

2023 will be the year of linux on the desktop

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

Intel's gonna do something really stupid and funny

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Archduke Frantz Fanon posted:

Intel's gonna do something really stupid and funny

i'll be way more daring and predict the opposite: intel suddenly starts delivering again.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

i'll be way more daring and predict the opposite: intel suddenly starts delivering again.

intel starts delivering for a few years, buying them another decade in which they can stagnate while adding 5% performance and 25W power consumption each year

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

LanceHunter posted:

- Bubble is gonna pop, and a lot of us are going to have a really rough one for the next 18-24 months.

this already happened

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

you're poasts will still be bad, op

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
intel will give up on x86 and start producing arm chips

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

The Management posted:

this already happened

for all intents and purposes so did the cloud one lol

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

to make up for it the idea that the bluechecks will move onto a new site is bonkers

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy
microsoft will have a string of embarrassing security vulnerabilities

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

- big ransomware attack on a major target (wing of a tech major, major branch of the fedgov, etc)

sadus
Apr 5, 2004

- uint trust = -1

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

the EU will adopt wechatpay

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

the next popular fart app framework will inexplicably be 1 indexed

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006

Archduke Frantz Fanon posted:

the next popular fart app framework will inexplicably be 1 indexed

2023 will be the year of lua in the webshit

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

that welsh guy still won't be allowed to dig up his bitcoin hard drive

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

2023 is the year JavaScript dies

HamAdams
Jun 29, 2018

yospos

post hole digger posted:

2023 is the year JavaScript dies

inshallah

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
TikTok won’t take the us govt’s threats lying down and will develop an even more horrifying default text-to-speech voice

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

While TikTok will still be facing a lot of heat, 2023's big parental tech-based panic will be private discords.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Silver Alicorn posted:

intel will give up on x86 and start producing arm chips

I am betting on Intel making riscv chips.

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

im a fucking monster

finally, z8000s time to shine!

Buck Turgidson
Feb 6, 2011

𓀬𓀠𓀟𓀡𓀢𓀣𓀤𓀥𓀞𓀬
OK it's not an ambitious prediction but I'm going to say at least five crypto exchanges go bankrupt

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome
2023 will be the Year of WebOS

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

HamAdams posted:

praying this is the year of the robot uprising

same except with the butlerian jihad

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
timb will bump up the free iCloud storage tier to 7GB

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

rotor posted:

2023 will be the Year of WebOS

monkeys paw version: windows 12 written entirely in javascript

New Zealand can eat me
Aug 29, 2008

:matters:

2023 will be the year of server side swift and unikernels are gonna make an endrun

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

Zuck steps down from Facebook after meta verse proves to be a horrible investment

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

One more: after more comes out about ftx us makes it harder or impossible for banks to deal with exchanges causing crypto to crash further

New Zealand can eat me
Aug 29, 2008

:matters:

ADINSX posted:

One more: after more comes out about ftx us makes it harder or impossible for banks to deal with exchanges causing crypto to crash further

Once Binance goes to the chopping block it will eat 60% of TSLA's remaining stock price (Didn't they do some poo poo together with buttcoin?)

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

elon musk trips in the bathroom of an applebees and his head falls in a toilet and he drowns in the toilet

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

rotor posted:

elon musk trips in the bathroom of an applebees and his head falls in a toilet and he drowns in the toilet

#restinpiss