Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
“Multiple playoff wins” as a stat specifically punishes having a good enough record to get a bye, because you have to win the conference championship instead of just getting to it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

I posted this a few weeks back to give you an idea of where Payton stands. He's not currently a HoF'er, and he's gotta be looking for a team where he can go have at least a ~5 year run where he competes for a title:

quote:

Re: HOF

If we look at his contemporaries in the coached over a decade during the free agency era who've won 1 SB we get:

Andy Reid
Mike Holmgren
Pete Carroll
Mike Tomlin
Mike McCarthy
Sean Payton
Bill Cowher
John Harbaugh
Tony Dungy
Jon Gruden

Of that list, the only haha, no entry is Gruden*. The other guys worth mentioning here are Belichick, and moving on, Coughlin and Mike Shanahan who each have two in 20 years of coaching and aren't in yet.

There's 26 Head coaches in the HoF currently, so we can say there's roughly 4-5 per primary decade in the hall. So we gotta consider the 2000's and 2010's. Cowher and Dungy eat up two of those '00 slots, let's say Belichick eats one from each out of largesse, and Andy Reid is absolutely getting in, so that's 5 probably eaten.

After that, I think it's pretty certain Coughlin will get in, and Pete Carroll has the best resume of the remaining guys, so yeah, there's probably 3 spots for the remainder of that list, and Payton's best bet is to come back in a good scenario, and if he puts together any kind of contender, that'll likely do it

*McCarthy would also be a haha no, but there's a gross Cowboys multiplier

Some random stats for funsies

Playoff wins:
31 Belichick
19 Reid
13 Holmgren
12 Coughlin, Cowher
11 Carroll, Harbaugh
10 McCarthy
9 Payton, Dungy
8 Shanahan, Tomlin
5 Gruden

W-L%
66.8% Dungy
66.5% Belichick
63.7% Reid
63.1% Payton
63.0% Tomlin
62.3% Cowher
61.6% McCarthy
61.3% Harbaugh
59.2% Holmgren
59.1% Carroll
55.2% Shanahan
53.1% Coughlin
51.1% Gruden

Wins:
296 Belichick
243 Reid
170 Shanahan, Coughlin
161 Holmgren
159 Tomlin, Carroll
153 McCarthy
152 Payton
149 Cowher
146 Harbaugh
139 Dungy
117 Gruden

Years in Playoffs
19 Belicihck
17 Reid
12 Holmgren
11 Dungy, Carroll
10 Tomlin, Cowher, McCarthy
9 Payton, Harbaugh, Coughlin
8 Shanahan
5 Gruden

Putting Gruden on these lists is more fun for me then adding Belichick

Doctor Teeth
Sep 12, 2008

top 10 anime betrayals

https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/status/1607471534138089473

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

https://twitter.com/PFF_Sam/status/1607403885655646212

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Vaunted Harbaugh special teams tree

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."

Diva Cupcake posted:

Paton is probably the highest profile retread since Andy Reid no? Maybe not if you count Harbaugh.

Yep, Payton has a better resume than Reid did after Philly too.

if we weren't in the same division and collapsing into a pile of ancient bones and dust i'd want him to come coach the Bucs.

I still think the chargers are crazy if they don't hire him (it seems pretty clear he wants the chargers job)

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO
Chargers could easily win a playoff game tho, which makes firing the coach more difficult

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."
having a great season didn't stop the chargers owners from firing a coach before

no i will never forgive them for how dirty they did Marty

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

Relentlessboredomm posted:

having a great season didn't stop the chargers owners from firing a coach before

no i will never forgive them for how dirty they did Marty

Different circumstances but yeah. Telesco hired Staley, AJ Smith did not hire Marty.

I'm still mad about Marty too

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill
I’m not crying

https://twitter.com/albertbreer/status/1607181476755275776?s=46&t=vr_I9D3Higr1SHisyu3BVg

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

anybody got a good RT for free

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
News:
https://twitter.com/RapSheet/status/1607498083138420739?s=20&t=O76iH8zX6PzQMi4EqLBdeQ

Views:
Pats losing to a Tua-less Dolphins would be fitting.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Bird in a Blender posted:

I don’t think Payton is a hall of fame coach, but he’s definitely well above average. Multiple post season wins is a weird stat to pick on because it’s incredibly difficult to do. John Madden only had one post season with multiple wins. Jimmy Johnson only had 2.

I don’t really blame him for bailing after Brees retired. NO is looking at a few years at least before they could be competitive again and maybe he’s just tired of coaching after doing it for like 15 years. If anything, he at least knew how to get the most out of his QB, which not all coaches are good at.

Bounty gate is a black mark though.

Retiring after Brees made a lot of sense to me tbh. Its a high profile, high pressure job and a lot of people would need a break after so long in the saddle. I also don't know how much input Payton had into drafting but if it was anything at all his stock kind of goes way up in my book because as a franchise they've always had a decent offensive line, decent receivers and built pass rush every year that was quality and if you can find personnel to keep rotating into those positions you're on the money in the modern NFL.

If he had no input he still managed to keep that treadmill going as a coach without bitching about not getting the pieces he needs. I'd also argue theres a couple of campaigns that got derailed in the playoffs through just insanity in terms of one shot plays (like twice against the vikings) and some hilariously bad refereeing (like against the Rams).

ghosthorse
Dec 15, 2011

...you forget so easily...

Diggs rules so hard. I really miss him on the Vikings but I'm glad he went to a team with a cool QB he actually gets along with and is doing well, good for him for being such a good guy.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

I guess it's not too ridiculous, he was only drafted a year earlier then a current NFL player

https://twitter.com/KySportsRadio/status/1607519560718028800

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it

Kalli posted:

I guess it's not too ridiculous, he was only drafted a year earlier then a current NFL player

He also got suspended for PEDs to end his career

Adun
Apr 15, 2001

Publicola
Fun Shoe
Wow amazing what the human body can do once a person leaves the Cleveland Browns

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

A fancy little mouse🐁!

I didn't know the UK even had a football team

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

kazil posted:

I didn't know the UK even had a football team

You've never heard of Man-U or Chelsea

whos that broooown
Dec 10, 2009

2024 Comeback Poster of the Year

Kalli posted:

This just makes me sad the Pillsbury throwboy is no longer with us

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
Week 17 is upon us.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002

Man when the little boy looks up from the gift and has red eyes from crying it just got me.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Aw man :unsmith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

gently caress, this made me cry