Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

armpit_enjoyer
Jan 25, 2023

my god. it's full of posts
I'm in this weird space where I love the idea of a modern OS running on ancient hardware but not having any ancient hardware to run it on. Even if I did, I don't think I could come up with a use case other than "yo wouldn't it be funny to browse SA on my Amiga 1200 and have the whole machine grind to a screeching halt the moment a PNG appears on screen"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

"run like poo poo on old hardware" is basically the #1 goal of modern unix

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮

armpit_enjoyer posted:

I'm in this weird space where I love the idea of a modern OS running on ancient hardware but not having any ancient hardware to run it on. Even if I did, I don't think I could come up with a use case other than "yo wouldn't it be funny to browse SA on my Amiga 1200 and have the whole machine grind to a screeching halt the moment a PNG appears on screen"

I briefly tried netbsd on my pentium 3 computer. couldn't get any remotely modern browsers to run in the first place and everything is javascript now so dillo can't do poo poo with it

fresh_cheese
Jul 2, 2014

MY KPI IS HOW MANY VP NUTS I SUCK IN A FISCAL YEAR AND MY LAST THREE OFFICE CHAIRS COMMITTED SUICIDE

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

what's the oldest hardware you could ipl netbsd on

mfer did you just ( e: 4 weeks ago ) use the term initial program load in the wild, for reals??

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

what's the oldest hardware you could ipl netbsd on

looks like it's been 15 years since they discontinued the PDP-10 port, does that count

e: if not it looks like it's the original VAX-11/780, which 9.3 will reportedly boot on

Kazinsal fucked around with this message at 05:35 on Mar 1, 2023

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Sweevo posted:

"run like poo poo on old hardware" is basically the #1 goal of modern unix

"run like poo poo on new hardware" is a secondary goal i think

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

fresh_cheese posted:

mfer did you just ( e: 4 weeks ago ) use the term initial program load in the wild, for reals??

i mean given the expected age of hardware i was referencing, it did seem the more appropriate term

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

i mean given the expected age of hardware i was referencing, it did seem the more appropriate term

after I recap my vax I am definitely punching in an IPL through the monitor just to say I did

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fresh_cheese
Jul 2, 2014

MY KPI IS HOW MANY VP NUTS I SUCK IN A FISCAL YEAR AND MY LAST THREE OFFICE CHAIRS COMMITTED SUICIDE
i IPL poo poo multiple times a day, have done for 20 years, and this is the first time its come up organically on the internet for me outside mailing list posts.

neat

i do kinda want a desktop vax, but my life is hardware and software that does not work and i want to do less janitoring at home not more.