Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

destroying rome is passé, the only way to truly neutralize rome is to seduce it

it's our enemies to lovers arc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
Pressing F to pay respects 🫡

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.

QuoProQuid posted:

Honestly, I’m here for it.

Pacho
Jun 9, 2010

QuoProQuid posted:

This convinced me. Changing from A to E. Love will bloom in the mediterranean

hashashash
Nov 2, 2016

Cure for cancer discovered!
Court physicians hate him!
ironic, considering the Aeneid featured Dido's journey a fair bit iirc

hashashash fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Dec 23, 2022

hashashash
Nov 2, 2016

vote's over, by the way! Carthage has it, by just a single vote I think

hashashash fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Dec 23, 2022

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

kush

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013
Too late, too late. I can see that this Hashim LP is already off to a great start in terms of goon voting.

Pacho
Jun 9, 2010

NewMars posted:

Too late, too late. I can see that this Hashim LP is already off to a great start in terms of goon voting.

:getin:

hashashash
Nov 2, 2016

Antigonids doing Antigonid things

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

I like how they took over Thrace and Constantinople and still lost overall.

Shogeton
Apr 26, 2007

"Little by little the old world crumbled, and not once did the king imagine that some of the pieces might fall on him"

QuoProQuid posted:

We will correct Aeneas' mistake.

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013
God drat, that egypt. We would have stood no chance with that in the way.

Rubix Squid
Apr 17, 2014
Well that certainly looks uh friendly.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

QuoProQuid posted:

Shogeton posted:

We will correct Aeneas' mistake.

:yeah:

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Eumenes should have won.

hashashash
Nov 2, 2016

Part 2 – Sicilian Wars – 304 BCE to 270 BCE

Carthage.

According to legend, the city was founded by an exile queen – Dido, also known as Elissa – fleeing the court intrigues of Tyre. Her odyssey is the stuff of myth, as she escaped her murderous brother, seized women from Cyprus to mother her people, outwitted a Berber king and founded a new city upon the hill of Byrsa… and then, when faced with the threat of war and forced marriage, she took her own life… and is such a sacrifice, there is great power.

Qart Hadasht, or Carthage, soon outgrew her mother city in Tyre, and over the centuries she contended with tyrants and kings, feuded with Berbers and Greeks, embarked on great voyages into the impenetrable West, seized the sealanes and trade routes flowing between the pillars of Hercules and the great harbour of Tyre…

Now, some five hundred years after her death, the city of Dido prospers.

And beyond, the world is yet wild and unknown – to the distant north, where travellers and explorers trade rumours of savage peoples hoarding immense wealth…

To the east, the cradles of civilisation are ravaged by the heirs of Alexander, who now feud after his legacy like dogs at a bone, whilst the ancient and mysterious lands further south whisper of unwritten stories…

And even further beyond, where mere snatches of hearsay give form to the vast and awesome legends of the Indias…

In the midst of all this, lays Carthage. To her belongs a most ancient and gloried history, but her song has only just begun.

Once, the city was governed by elected monarchy, but there is danger in placing a crown on the brow of a man and calling him king, and so such things were rightly done away with a long time ago. Instead, as the year 304 BCE dawns, the senate of Carthage meets to elect two Sophets from the great families of Carthage, to rule the Republic for a period of five years.

And immediately, their priorities are made clear –

For too long, the Republic has suffered the ignominy of the Greeks. Year after year, campaign after campaign, war after war, and yet the rich and strategic island of Sicily eludes our grasp – and indeed, just a few years prior, the wretched tyrant of Syracuse, Agathokles, laid siege to Carthage herself, a most heinous crime that has not been forgotten.

The newly-elected Maharbal vows an end to the stalemate, and just a year later, he lands on the island with an army of 20,000 Libyan, Numidian and Greek mercenaries.

He strikes across the width of Sicily in an audacious march – a march that is quickly ended after half his troops are ambushed by Agathokles himself, leading an alliance of Greeks and native Siculotes.

The defeat is crushing enough that Maharbal flees back to Carthage, and his term as Sophet ends in disgrace. The mercenaries he left behind, meanwhile, quickly defect to the Greeks in a dispute over pay.

Unsurprisingly, the oligarchs in the senate descended into their usual bickering, bribing one another to pass laws and then strike them down.

The traditionalists of the assembly, on the other hand, insist that the war would only be won once the gods were properly honoured – or rather, once the shrines and temples of the brutish Greek gods were thoroughly desecrated.

But after a succession of corrupt Sophets and a series of accompanying defeats in Sicily, it seems as though this was doomed to end like so many others – that is, until the patriarch of the prominent Barca family manages to get himself elected Sophet…

Shrewd, assertive, and a brilliant commander, Abdmelqart Barca lands in Sicily with a mixed force of Punic levies and Numidian mercenaries; and within the year, he scores three important victories over the Greeks.

Scattering the allied enemy forces, the Sophet then drives towards the ultimate prize in Sicily –

And finally, there beneath the walls of Syracuse, caught in the midst of a most terrible storm, Carthage and Greece clash yet again… and Agathokles can only watch as his army crumbles, as the walls they sought to defend are torn down, as his precious city…

…is brutally sacked, with all her riches carried back to Carthage, and only the moon-and-sun standard of the Republic left behind, staked in the carcass of the Tyrant.

And with the stronghold of Sicily vanquished, the rest of the Greek settlements on the island submit over the next few years, one by one…

So successful was this campaign that Abdmelqart was not only rewarded with a triumph upon his return to Carthage, but his supporters in the senate soon passed a law extending his term of office as well –

And with this renewed mandate, Abdmelqart energetically set to integrating the various Phoenician colonies that pay tribute to Carthage. Before long, the cities of Leptis and Hadrametum, Iol and Thapsus, Emporia and Heraklia, and finally Utica, one of Carthage’s oldest rivals, all bow before the authority of Qart Hadasht.

In the east, meanwhile, Antigonos Monophthalmos perishes in a stunning defeat to a coalition of Diadochi kings, leaving the Seleukids and Ptolemies to partition and then feud over the remnants of his empire.

In the west, and much closer to home, the ever-seditious Numidians have been united under a young king of Massaesylia, who may well pose a threat to Punic holdings along the coast.

Abdmelqart’s lengthened term comes to an end in the year 270 BCE, with the Republic firmly in the ascendance – the surrounding Phoenician colonies are fully integrated, her coastal holdings in Libya and Mauretania are reinforced, and the wealthy isle of Sicily is finally and utterly subjugated.

A long and successful career, with scarcely a stumble… except…

In the midst of his Sicilian wars, Abdmelqart had crossed the straits of Messina to disperse a Greek army mustering near the town of Rigon. A short and decisive victory followed, and after some deliberation the Sophet decided to seize the town as well, giving Carthage a foothold on the peninsula that lies just across the narrow waterway…

…listen closely, and already, you may well hear the screeching of tuba, the stamping of legions, and all the sounds of Rome rising to ruin and war.

hashashash fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Nov 10, 2023

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

I'm sure they won't mind a bit of toe nibbling :v:

hashashash
Nov 2, 2016

I should also add that the reason these Sicilian wars took so long was because, when I declared on Syracuse, the Antipatrids became war leader... only to be taken out by the other Diadochi, and that ended our war for some reason, so I had to wait a while and declare it again

Just paradox things I guess

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

cartago amanda est

Ralepozozaxe
Sep 6, 2010

A Veritable Smorgasbord!
I’m from Utica and I’ve never heard of the city of lol.

It’s a Carthage possession.

Edit: I forgot about Boi. We should give all of Rome's lands to Boi and let Boi rule the map.

Ralepozozaxe fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Dec 24, 2022

Kangxi
Nov 12, 2016

"Too paranoid for you?"
"Not me, paranoia's the garlic in life's kitchen, right, you can never have too much."
What lovely neighbors! I'm sure we can start a beautiful relationship....

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Huh, what mods are you using to make your windows look that like?

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

Well they secured their position rather quickly eh?

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013
Aw, crap, that's a hell of a Rome. Are they supposed to take the peninsula this fast?

hashashash
Nov 2, 2016

Hellioning posted:

Huh, what mods are you using to make your windows look that like?

Do you mean the darker UI? That's Dark Red UI 2.0 I think

I've also got a few others - Better Map Icons, Historical Imperator pack, Invictus, Enhanced graphics and lighting

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

hashashash posted:

Do you mean the darker UI? That's Dark Red UI 2.0 I think

I've also got a few others - Better Map Icons, Historical Imperator pack, Invictus, Enhanced graphics and lighting

Yeah, the UI. Thanks!

hashashash
Nov 2, 2016

NewMars posted:

Aw, crap, that's a hell of a Rome. Are they supposed to take the peninsula this fast?

I haven't played enough Imperator to be sure, but I've never seen a game where they don't blob out incredibly fast

Fivemarks
Feb 21, 2015
Jesus christ. Already?

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

Rome blobbing is fine. They’ll be the top (of the Mediterranean) and we’ll be the great power bottom (of the Mediterranean)

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013
Well time to brace your javelins..

hashashash
Nov 2, 2016

also, I hate that the game is giving me this option -

now I actually want to Hannibal my armies across the Alps

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Look, they can have Italy and we'll have everything else. Surely they'll be satisfied with that!

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

Things gettin' Punic in a big hurry

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013
This kind of makes me glad I pushed hard for Carthage first: without a player at the helm to stop them Rome looks like it's going to grow out of control and make everything all regular historical.

Tagaziel
Aug 28, 2022

Ce n'est pas un chat.
That's incredibly impressive. Guess the next update will decide if someone gets to knock the apple Qart over, eh?

hashashash
Nov 2, 2016

NewMars posted:

This kind of makes me glad I pushed hard for Carthage first: without a player at the helm to stop them Rome looks like it's going to grow out of control and make everything all regular historical.

welp, may as well tell you that their expansion only gets faster for some reason

also fighting the Romans is a huge pain. who knew

Lateinshowing
Oct 10, 2012
Fun Shoe
Unsure if it's mod related or if it's a game mechanic, but one of the things I've seen is the Romans just auto-annex territory they've occupied. Which isn't the case in any other country when they do warfare (unless it's a civil war).

If that's a normal thing, that could explain it. The Romans just taking everything all at once instead of bit by bit.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

Lateinshowing posted:

Unsure if it's mod related or if it's a game mechanic, but one of the things I've seen is the Romans just auto-annex territory they've occupied. Which isn't the case in any other country when they do warfare (unless it's a civil war).

If that's a normal thing, that could explain it. The Romans just taking everything all at once instead of bit by bit.

It's a game mechanic: the Imperial Challenge CB works like that. It's unlocked by a late game tech, but some countries get to use it early in specific circumstances (Rome during some early wars, for example, or the Diadochi against each other).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ralepozozaxe
Sep 6, 2010

A Veritable Smorgasbord!
When the game first came out Rome would just sit and do nothing, so they turned the take-over everyone dial WAY up.