Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

EDIT: Changing vote

SirPhoebos fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Dec 22, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Lol we already have one LP going that's trying to deal with "What do we call everything if Rome never took off?" Why not another!

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Denmark LP is peek Goonvoting. I didn't follow it at the time, but I read the thread and am somewhat surprised Paradox LPs are still allowed after that.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Changing vote to A

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

QuoProQuid posted:

destroying rome is passé, the only way to truly neutralize rome is to seduce it

it's our enemies to lovers arc

Shogeton posted:

We will correct Aeneas' mistake.

:yeah:

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

I'm sure they won't mind a bit of toe nibbling :v:

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Viola the Mad posted:

We really need to know how to say "Rome must be destroyed" in Punic.

And thus the nightmare of full immersive conversion begins. "gently caress, 'London' has a latin root*! What would it be called in Phoenician??"

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

I have to admit, getting delenda est'd right out of the loving gate would have been pretty goddamn hilarious.

SirPhoebos fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Dec 31, 2022

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Why do the buffs that Rome get feel like that joke mod Wiz made for EU3 that made whatever country you selected insanely overpowered (unless it's in Sub-Sahara Africa because according to EU3's logic no one lived there)?

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

hashashash posted:

Yea I mean that 100% would've happened, I don't think I've ever seen an Imperator game where Rome didn't cover half of Europe at least

Rome somehow ate itself in the Scythian LP without any player intervention.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

hashashash posted:

huh, in that case I think one of the mods I've been using (the one that brings in historical characters like Caesar and Hannibal) actually made Rome much stronger, because it adds an event chain for Rome to become an empire and makes it impossible for them to do so any other way

lol we were playing with a romaboo mod.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Props for overcoming a mod that was dedicated to how awesome and handsome Rome was.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Hiram Barca shouted, "I must defeat the Romans!"

The LP forums crackles: "No, Hiram. You are the Romans!"

And then Hiram became a Vomitorium.

B

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

I'd actually be really curious if an "everything is going to poo poo" grand strategy game has wider appeal. FrostPunk shows that you can have ever-tightening recourses and worsening options on a city-builder level, so can it work on a larger scale?

SirPhoebos fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Jan 17, 2023

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

A Battletech Grand Strategy game set during the Succession Wars would be pretty baller: "All the factories for advanced mechs got nuked. Guess it's time to start fielding Urbies en-masse."

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

A B A

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

C C E

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

A, E, Frisia

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

The Cultus-Deorum has a saga of Jupiter marrying Loki. It started as a trick, but the Aesir and Rumir are too committed to back out of it now.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

silentsnack posted:

was that before or after loki trasformed himself into a mare in order to gently caress The Biggest Horse In The Universe? dude really got around

The mare was how he met Jupiter.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

hashashash posted:

played through some of the first update, and came across this --

something about it just feels wrong...

Well if we couldn't get Carthage/Rome...

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

C'est une France

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

hashashash posted:

to be fair, you lot did vote for us to continue in europe! where most of the colonies were clustered around the french/english region

i did consider start as Eretz Sh'hor (those punics in Finland), but it would've taken forever to build a power base strong enough to migrate somewhere else

Goon votes have in the past:
-Declined to adopt a constitution because they make for suboptimal play, get surprised when the country reverts to revanchist absolutism.
-Exiled a national leader because he has poor stats, act shocked when later leaders dissolve the voting body.
-Nod politely when Pope reveals themselves to be an immortal warlock, take umbrage at any suggestion that we were playing the baddies.
-Try to engineer the cool and hot Revolutionary Government, and instead gets boring and lame balkanization and dictatorships.

Honestly, this is on the weak end of LP votes that have bitten us in the rear end.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Ralepozozaxe posted:

Why would we have to migrate out of Finland? We'd be in the perfect spot to find the Sampo. (I say this as someone who has played so many Ck games in Finland.)

Why would we need a strapless evening gown? :confused:

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Gantolandon posted:

The best thing about it is that it would have worked if not for the one single thing.

Goons happened to know the exact prequisites to get the French Revolution event chain and metagamed to hell to get it. One of those prequisites was to have low enough Stability and high Unrest, so they did everything to piss off their population. They managed to get both to values which are impossible to get until you play bad on purpose, which they did. Then the game itself shat on them: the first revolution event happened in another country that met the prequisites.

Unfortunately, the revolution can happen once. If someone else gets the event chain, that’s it. So instead of the Revolutionaries that would have implement the government they wanted, Andalusia spawned hundreds of thousands ordinary separatist and pretender rebels. Within several years, the country was partitioned into many tiny dictatorships that hated each other. While the rest of the world was having their Napoleonic wars, the player-led country spent those years trying to mend itself back.

Right now, I'm playing a modded version of HBS Battletech (BTA 3062) and I recently got my hands on a Dire Wolf-DS. It's a 100 ton Omnimech with no heatsinks, very little armor, and 11 Clan ER PPCs. The mech is meant for 1-on-1 duels: you disintegrate your opponent on the first round, so who cares if your mech does an emergency shut-down as soon as you pull the trigger. The possibility that you don't hit, or that your opponent crits your engine first, is not considered.

Goon voting, in my experience, embraces that same confidence.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Rejected Fate posted:

They gonna make many a historic drama about Gerbaal.

Also by becoming pseudo-Byzantium, have we done the unthinkable and become ourselves a Rome?

:sickos:

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

C

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

A

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Looking back, I'm surprised no one made a "BUT I DON'T WANT TO PLAY PONTUS!!!" joke.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

E

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Raserys posted:

Since the Renaissance will be starting in the Crowns, might as well go all the way the analogy with A

A for the above reason.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

D

(fingers crossed for Rome)

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

A

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

A

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Taking on Rome while having a Romaboo mod was great fun, but Rome 2: Electric Boogaloo was honestly a let down. I don't think a part 3 will bring back the magic unless it gets *all* the crazy-good EU4 mechanics.