Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

You guys remember less than a page ago when we were talking about Rome's unique ability to absorb battlefield losses seemingly endlessly, and how their greatest enemy always seem to collapse them in times of relative stability when the rot sets in internally?

Maybe we should take some time to, you know, consolidate our gains and give the Romans a chance to shoot themselves in the foot a little?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

What an absolute clusterfuck that was, jeez. Fifty years, who knows how much of our treasure, and a dead Hannibal, all to end up where we started.

Thank God Gisco Gisco pulled our asses out of the fire here with a bum rush at Rome. All hail Gisco Gisco, the Sophet so nice they named him twice!

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Pacho posted:

Cunningly Brutal or Brutally Cunning? That's our Gisco Gisco

Centuries from now, whenever anyone does anything bold and audacious and ballsy, people are gonna say, "check out the Giscos on this guy!"

You know, assuming we don't get delenda est'ed off the face of the earth before then

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

ThatBasqueGuy posted:

once we get this "rome" situation under control, im feeling a couple expeditions to india, maybe control the routes to it and get everyone to worship Ba'al on the way

Frankly we should aim that direction even earlier, that area from the Black Sea down to the Levant I have a good feeling about finding allies that'll freak out Rome quite a bit in the future. It's a good place to talent scout

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

hashashash posted:

depending on the votes, maybe - or they might become a diaspora like OTL, or maybe we'll end up with Jews in India or the Steppe

although the levant isn't looking very Phoenician atm, Egypt has everything from Syria to Kush (rip)

Oh like hell we're gonna let some inbred Ptolemies own the lands of our forefathers! Put them on the List right under the barbarian upstart Romans.

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

God, all of Numidia is gonna be on our loving payroll from all the mercs we're gonna have to hire

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Just gotta Zerg Rush Rome in a decapitation strike.

...hey, it worked once!

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Fuckin' finally, Roma Delenda Est

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Next stop: the Levant :getin:

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Lemniscate Blue posted:

I feel like we need a : hist99 : emote to rub it in.

Combo of :hist101: and :eng99:

Given the multiple Paradox alternate history LPs in this forum's history, it's amazing one wasn't commissioned years ago.

Not to mention all the times people just throw out bullshit fake history facts trying to sound authoritative!

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

megane posted:

sic transit Gloria Estefan

:sickos:

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

In an interesting bit of synchronicity, today's Featured Article on Wikipedia is... the Third Punic War! :hist101:

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

B is a waste of time, the Barcas can use their expertise securing the western frontier and Iberia from the various petty kingdoms rather than chasing ghosts. I feel Rome will have quite enough on their table as the northern barbarians nip at their heels seeking their own generational vengeance.

A is... honestly the most pragmatic choice, as we're now the predominant power in the Mediterranean and should act as a proper economic hegemon.

However! There is something more important than money, more important than conquest. There is pride. We have finally vanquished our ancient enemy, now let us secure our glory by reclaiming our ancient homeland from whence came Queen Dido all those centuries ago.

I Vote Option C. Let us back House Gisco in one last great endeavor. Where once Qart Hadasht was a colony of Tyre, now let Tyre be a colony of Qart Hadasht!

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Pacho posted:

We are going on an Adventure!

(Im voting for this for the off chance we end up as a Carthaginian colony in the british islands or India

...this is a decent point. I DID vote for C, and I stick by it, but we have a better navy than Rome ever did, which means we can spread Carthaginian culture farther than Rome's empire ever could. This is an... intruiging prospect.

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Good job guys, we let Jesus be born. If we'd expanded east like I'd wanted, we could have spawn-camped him and prevented the rise of Christianity, but noooOOooooo!

Ah well, maybe it's for the best we don't have to be responsible for that shitshow over in Canaan. It's Ptolemy's problem now.

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Christianity is gonna be real fuckin weird in this timeline. My guess is some syncretism with Serapis and the cult of Alexander instead of Sol Invictus, and likely becoming the new de facto state sponsored cult of Ptolemaic Egypt. Lord knows they have enough underclasses that the Christian message would appeal to. Plus all the deviation from however the Ptolemies are treating Canaan compared to the Romans. Do they even crucify people there?

Frankly it might be a boon to us, as someone upthread said. The Semitic population and their new messianic cult might have more common ground with us than all the Hellenized empires that have been fighting over the place for the last two hundred years.

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Circumcellions rise up as the dominant Christian denomination of the Eastern Mediterranean.

This will make diplomacy rather annoying, as they'll keep trying to be aggravating enough in every interaction that we're forced to violently martyr them

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Well, poo poo. It seems that in usurping Rome's throne, we will now have to contend with Rome's enemies. And enemies that Rome had never dreamed of, besides.

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

CBA, let's musical chairs this bitch

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

CCC

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Tag Team Messiahmania, Jesus and Zoroaster vs Alexander and Serapis

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

C, A, Autolalia

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

habeasdorkus posted:

A, E, wherever Mecca is located.

I think it's in Harbia?

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Yes, soon Autolalia will come to dominate the West African coast!

Why Autolalia? Well, it speaks for itself, really.

:v:

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

As I'm given to understand, African elephants are generally bigger, but basically impossible to train compared to somewhat more amenable Indian elephants

e: not sure how this compares to whatever extinct North African elephants Carthage had, though

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Giscos stay winning

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

hashashash posted:

Part 8 — God and Gunpowder — 875 to 925

:stonklol:

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

tunapirate posted:

Yikes -- yikes !!!

Do you have the option to convert to avoid a great holy war in CK3?

It's not gonna be THAT great of a holy war, let's be honest. Caliphate's gonna roll into Phoenicia with Mechwarriors and poo poo while we're still impressed by, like, boats you don't need slaves to row.

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Rooting for Numidia myself. Upholding that Old Time Religion, none of this Abrahamic hocus pocus

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Rejected Fate posted:

They gonna make many a historic drama about Gerbaal.

Also by becoming pseudo-Byzantium, have we done the unthinkable and become ourselves a Rome?

gently caress, it's like Carcinization but for nation-states, it all eventually degenerates into a Rome

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

I'm a bit curious about Hausaland and Sao, those bits in sub-Saharan Africa that seem to be the last bastion of the old Canaanite religion. Bit of a living fossil, there.

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

ZiegeDame posted:

Voting A, but at least one of the native empires should have assimilated a Carthage as part of their founding myth.

"Lost Punic colony as local Tula/Teotihuacan equivalent mythic god-ancestor city" could work, sure. A, with maybe a dash of B is my vote.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

On this day, February 5, representatives of Rome and Carthage signed the peace treaty that officially ended the Third Punic War.

This event occurred in 1985. The treaty was, admittedly, largely a symbolic gesture by that point.