Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Viola the Mad
Feb 13, 2010
C! Take on a real challenge!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Viola the Mad
Feb 13, 2010
We really need to know how to say "Rome must be destroyed" in Punic.

Viola the Mad
Feb 13, 2010
oh man we're hosed

Viola the Mad
Feb 13, 2010
BCC

Viola the Mad
Feb 13, 2010
CCC

Viola the Mad
Feb 13, 2010
A, E, Voluntia.

Celtic Britain! CELTIC BRITAIN!

Viola the Mad
Feb 13, 2010

hashashash posted:

sweet, well your vote came up in the rolls so I guess we'll be getting medieval Galatia

also in general, if anyone has any decent ideas for Punic or Hebrew-based names for places, then let me know! Names for the places we have colonies -- Ireland, Britain, Gaul, Scandinavia etc. -- are probably all that's 100% necessary

I speak pretty decent Hebrew, I can pitch in. Hell, if anyone wants to suggest names in English, I can translate them (e.g., New City -> Qart-Hadasht). Otherwise I'll can look some things up on my own.

Viola the Mad
Feb 13, 2010

By popular demand posted:

Feel free to replace 'Eir' with 'Qart' as you feel"

- "city on the Bridge"
Eir Al-Gesher or maybe just Eir Gesher

- "city in the North"
Tzfuna (oo type U) sounds cool to me and it also means obscured or hidden for extra cool points

- "city of stone"
Eir Even (eh type Es)

- "island-city"
Lev Ha'ee "Heart(center) of the island"

- "tin-land" / "tin-country"
Eretz Badil

- "copper-land"
Nekhosh'etit is a diminutive I just made for copper, so "copperite"?

- "land/country by the sea"
Yamit is an actual modern place name, lets ignore the politics though because it's a lovely name https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yamit

- "black country"
Eretz Sh'chor (ch like haram)

- "final city"
Qart Soufit/ Qart Ha'Soufit

E: Tangentially related: tin is one of the metals significant enough to be have purifying instructions when the Israelites "avenge themselves" on the Midianites, "Only the gold, silver, bronze, iron, tin, and lead -everything that can withstand the fire— must be put through the fire, and it will be clean. " -Numbers 31:22-23

Beat me to the punch! I'd transliterate עִיר as Ir (pronounced like "ear"), but this feels like splitting hairs--we can derive the Punic word from Qart-Hadasht, "New City." Hadasht is a pretty clear cognate for "chadash," the Hebrew word for new, which leaves Qart as "city." Related to that, it seems that Punic grammar uses the noun-adjective order, like all the other Semitic languages. Also, Qart haSofit sounds fantastic.

On a completely different topic, an absolutely mad idea struck me as I was going to bed last night--use English for Roman names. Hear me out! A bunch of Romance language speakers invaded a land of of Germanic language speakers and then culturally melded with their subjects. Of course their languages would fuse into a new bastard language. And that actually happened in the OTL--it's called the Norman Conquest. Hell, by the time CK3 starts, this new Latin-Germanic mish-mash would have been evolving for almost as long as modern English. So why not use our Latin-Germanic mish-mash for this culture? Obviously you can have fun with it--maybe "thing" still means "assembly," for example--but using English as a base could make things easier.

Viola the Mad
Feb 13, 2010
Aw man, I was hoping we'd convert back to Judaism. :(

Viola the Mad
Feb 13, 2010
C. I want that Jewish run!

Viola the Mad
Feb 13, 2010
A! I want that Jewish run!

Viola the Mad
Feb 13, 2010
B

Viola the Mad
Feb 13, 2010
C, it makes the most sense.

Viola the Mad
Feb 13, 2010

Valiantman posted:

It looks like C is the most faithful to the actual situation but I fear it will become even worse blob than the original Ottomans very fast.

So I'm sure you can make B work there. HRE the Elissid Empire just isn't.

B

Viola the Mad
Feb 13, 2010
B to shake up the blob. And because antipopes are always a fun time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Viola the Mad
Feb 13, 2010
C Thunderdrome for the Mandate!