Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

GunnerJ posted:

The Romans didn't really appear to give that much of a poo poo about their own customary religion over the long run, so it's also possible they just adopted the gods of the Norse wholesale through syncretic identification. So I like this idea.

This didn't really happen with Hellenistic or other deities, so I don't think you can draw that conclusion. The Romans just kind of coopted Hellenistic/Gallic/Germanic religious stories under their own branding (as a very gross oversimplification). So you ended up (IRL) where a recognizable Odin-story were assigned to Mercury, and Mercury was a relatively popular god, possibly the most popular, in Roman Germania. I would imagine that this process would be quite similar in this narrative. Perhaps the Germanic culture is more dominant so you retain names of Germanic gods, but give them Roman stories too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

GunnerJ posted:

"Romans adopting Hellenic gods in the first place" is what I was thinking of, but fair enough. Although it's also worth noting that "Rome as continent-spanning empire" and "Rome as rump remnant out on the wilderness" are two pretty different situations. Whatever Romans might think, they aren't anywhere near as powerful as in OTL, so they're probably not in the driver's seat of the cultural merger.

Describing what went on with Roman religion as "Romans adopting Hellenic gods" is not really an accurate description of what happened, though. The Romans mashed any gods they came across in to their pantheon. It had already happened with various local Italian and Etruscan religious structures. Really, it was more of a cross-identification process. "That God you call X is our God we call Y"

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Mr.Morgenstern posted:

It's very funny to me that the Romans are still calling themselves an empire despite controlling just a bunch of frozen forests in Germania

hey some of those are swamps

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

I thought we were gonna get a regular Romulus and Remus there. A; let's try to avoid being France for as long as possible.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

ZiegeDame posted:

Me watching in horror as, in our quest to not become France, we accidentally become England instead.

Absolutely

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

We aren't France, we're the Goths

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

B Canaan

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

When you have the opportunity to have More HRE the Answer is Always yes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Let’s go with A for some new stuff.