Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

B or E, either way we can tell Rome to eat it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Who knows where its at~

Chronometry posted:

E! Carthago delenda non est!

Roma Delenda Est, except in phoenecian.

hashashash posted:

A cheeky tally has things even -

A - Kush - 13

B - Teutonia - 4 (5?)

C - Judea - 1

D - Antigonids - 2

E - Carthage - 12 (13?)

F - Roll the Dice - 2

Close enough that I'm gonna let it run for another day or so

If my double vote is a problem, put my vote to a hard E Sorry germans.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Who knows where its at~

Things gettin' Punic in a big hurry

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Who knows where its at~

NewMars posted:

...You know, this is completely historical. What won the war for Rome was their complete inability to stop fighting no matter how many of them were killed: they just kept throwing more bodies into it.

I've seen more than one historical commentary claim that the kind of losses Rome suffered at Cannae would have brought down like 90% of its contemporary civilizations, and instead they just raised more armies and replaced all the dead leaders with new ones.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Who knows where its at~

Ultiville posted:

I've also seen commentary that the "killed" counts for games like this tend to be higher than they should be for the period, so part of Rome enduring those losses was that more of the members of the defeated armies were willing to go back for another go than with many of their contemporaries. Seems like there are a combination of reasons for this (and some of it is just fighting on home turf) but it's certainly a lot of the secret to Rome's victory, along with the surprising loyalty of their Italian allies.

Cannae was a bit of an exception to that, if you believe the ancient sources. The two most credited contemporary sources claim the Romans suffered somewhere between 45-70k KILLED out of an army of just over 80k, and as many as 4500-6000 of their 6400 cavalry as well. The more conservative of the sources also claims that the Roman military also lost 29 of its 48 Military Tribunes, including 2 ex-Consuls, and 80 Senators or politicians who could have been Senators. That's also KILLED, not captured.

Obviously you've always got to take a Roman historian with a grain of salt, you never know who's rear end he was trying to polish or sling mud at, but if those numbers are anywhere near accurate it makes Rome's recover as a society that much more impressive. A modern nation-state would struggle to not descend into revolutionary anarchy if they lost 50% of their standing military's infantry and an even higher percentage of their officer corps in a single battle.

EDIT: for the sake of comparison, those same sources peg Hannibal's casualties in that battle at roughly 10%, and not even close to all of those were deaths.

Sanguinia fucked around with this message at 08:44 on Dec 26, 2022

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Who knows where its at~

Fivemarks posted:

As long as we exist, the romans are going to be able to unify over being angry we beat them.

This is probably incredibly accurate.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Who knows where its at~

Look, just tell me who Kratos and Atreus are going to make friends with and who they're going to kill so I can update my chart God of War chart.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Who knows where its at~

Luhood posted:

If Rome was mythologically founded and named for Romulus, the Rome-in-Exile might build upon the same myth and name it after Remus, Remia.

Also they become orcs somehow