Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Luhood
Nov 13, 2012
These Germano-Romans are a thing of beauty :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Luhood
Nov 13, 2012
CAA in that order.

Carthage I'd be happy with whichever way it went, the Ptolemaics have to suffer FLOURISH in order to hopefully nip this Christianity nonsense in the bud, and the Seleukid ascendant could hopefully ensure the survival of Zoroastrianism or something else that would be fun. Alternatively both of them striking at each other would clear the way for Christians to rise up in their ashes, who knows, but I've already changed my mind once and I won't change it further.

Luhood fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Jan 21, 2023

Luhood
Nov 13, 2012
C B A sounds like the superior alternative. Slavic Gaul, Hunnic Balkans, German Russia

Luhood
Nov 13, 2012
Let's vote for the tastiest of votes: Diner, Drive-Ins and Dives.

Luhood
Nov 13, 2012
A, A, and finally Albania because Volga Albania needs every help it can get to become reality

Luhood fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Jan 24, 2023

Luhood
Nov 13, 2012

hashashash posted:

also in general, if anyone has any decent ideas for Punic or Hebrew-based names for places, then let me know! Names for the places we have colonies -- Ireland, Britain, Gaul, Scandinavia etc. -- are probably all that's 100% necessary

Lilybaya in London:
I like the notion of Punic "Pretan" meaning Tin for the sake of this narrative. One of the big Tin-areas of the ancient world was the Devon area of modern Cornwall, or Dumnonia as it was known then. This is also the power which in the game managed to put most of the British Isles under its domain. If nothing else having the Carthaginian colony be referencing the "Tinland" makes at least a bit of sense from a Punic merchant perspective. How this would look in Punic I do not know... Qart-Pretan, City of Tin? If they manage to take it all I like the notion of "Pretannia", the Tin Lands, or "Brythonia" if it manages to stay in Dumnonian/Brythonic hands. Other alternatives are "Land of the Hills" due to the British landscape or "Land of the Painted People" due to the supposed prevalence of body-paint in Insular Celtic cultures of the times. Another alternative is "The White Land" referencing the Cliffs of Dover, which is in fact a fringe theory for the origin of the name Albion.

Qart Hadahst in Brittany:
Brittany too was a source of ancient tin, so many of the above notions for "Tinland" - Qart-Pretan - can be used equally well here as above. The ancient name Armorica is not only used already by the local Gaullic power but translates into "Land by the Sea", which while true can be used for most of Carthage. The native tribes in the area were the Venetii - "The Friendly Folk" - and the Osismii - "The Ultimate/Outmost/Remote Folk" - which I guess could work in a Qart-Venet / Qart-Ushmy sort of way?

Tabarkon in the Baltic Sea:
Any reference to North could work really. Otherwise referencing the Gutes of Gotland or the almost fortified geology of Bornholm (something like The Cliff Islands) would be good alternatives.

Luhood
Nov 13, 2012

sebzilla posted:

What the gently caress, does the Tamar mean nothing to you?

It actually doesn't, I am a bit of an uncultured swine like that

Luhood
Nov 13, 2012
If Rome was mythologically founded and named for Romulus, the Rome-in-Exile might build upon the same myth and name it after Remus, Remia.

EDIT:
Alternatively tie the entire Romulus and Remus myth into the Fenris, them being a lost tribe of "Lokispawn" finally coming home. This combines with the simple notion that the Hellenic deities were known for weaving magic to a far greater degree than most Norse myths, in particular their tendency to change the shape of themselves and others (most prominently Zeus himself), a trait they would share with Loki. From that naming the entire new faith Seiđr from the ancient art of magic practiced by the Völva of Norse mythology. It's now a faith where supposedly the formerly shunned magic lead to the now lost riches of Rome, which in turn could spawn the upcoming Viking age as they set out to find Rome's lost riches.

Luhood fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Feb 8, 2023

Luhood
Nov 13, 2012
Maybe I just missed it, but what exactly is Fyrnsidu?

Also, how does the Gaelic, Gallic and Druidic faiths differ from one another? I think only the "God-king" Druidic was mentioned in the update.

Luhood
Nov 13, 2012
Nobody expects the Romano-Hunnic Empire

Luhood
Nov 13, 2012
A more meta-question: Is there any particular reason as to why you're starting so much earlier than the standard CK start-date? Won't that run the risk of interfering with the late Migration Period, which historically can be argued to have lasted into the 800s if not even into the 1000s?

Luhood
Nov 13, 2012
If we can't be France we shall instead become the Angevins

Luhood
Nov 13, 2012
A-ish looks like the most fun option

Luhood
Nov 13, 2012
My heart says A, to turn those Huns and Scythians into yet another jewel in our crown and properly unite the steppes under our banner.

Luhood
Nov 13, 2012
With how interconnected the world is between east and west, having it be along the great trade routes is the most reasonable. This makes E somewhat appropriate, but C also has a connection to Africa which E lacks and thus is even better.

C is my choice.

Luhood
Nov 13, 2012
A is the one I'd prefer, but I think B is the one which will spawn the most fun stories. A civil war amongst the Elissids will also allow Europe/West Africa to get a reason to go towards the Americas as the trade routes are disrupted by the war.

Luhood
Nov 13, 2012
My go-to would've been if we'd get most of B but with a lot of variance in the Pagan faiths, specially if they are unreformed (which I think Druidism is for instance?). Just split them up a bit rather than just have them be monolithic faiths y'know?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Luhood
Nov 13, 2012
C is the obvious no-choice, we've already got too many "Oh no, all Romes" going about not just in this LP but in others.

I want to go A, but same as above it feels like every LP and their mother always go for the "There's just locals all over the place showing the Europeans what-for" route. It's fun to see what the LPer comes up with for it, but at the same time it occasionally grows a bit over-done.

So in the end I think B is the choice for me. It plays into the "We're all Carthage on this blessid day" gimmick of this LP, and I don't think there's been a big Mega-LP which went for the "There are already pesky Europeans here" which weren't just Vinland (disregarding the fact that Punics aren't Europeans, but I digress).

Luhood fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Dec 14, 2023