Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rubix Squid
Apr 17, 2014
E!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rubix Squid
Apr 17, 2014
Well that certainly looks uh friendly.

Rubix Squid
Apr 17, 2014
Aramaic and Hebrew seem to be the closest surviving relatives. If it's anything like what Rome called China then it'd be "Land of Silk".

Rubix Squid
Apr 17, 2014
The only type of dating that will be done with Rome is carbon dating.

Rubix Squid
Apr 17, 2014
Goddamn that was a mess. Should be smooth sailing from here though.

Rubix Squid
Apr 17, 2014
Well I'm convinced.

A it is. The sea will guide us to prosperity!

Rubix Squid
Apr 17, 2014
Well there's not going to be any French around, since there's no Rome for the Franks to copy. And Christianity will not have the Roman state institutions to supplant and thus create a parallel administrative structure for later secular powers to leap frog off of.

If we've got colonies or people trading in the Baltic, the Germans will probably pick up writing a bit faster since there's more use for it. Elder Futhark inscriptions date to the 100s or there abouts, so chances are they'll be cooking that up based more directly on our Phoenician script.

Rubix Squid
Apr 17, 2014

NewMars posted:

One of the big things that I have to note is true here is that there is no big centralizing factor that a land based empire would give. Instead things like law codes, civil society, trade standards and building standards would be incredibly heterodox unless the carthaginian empire makes a concerted effort to rationalize and standardize across the colonies.

This is not a good thing. Without these factors punic civilization is likely to splinter quite badly and colonies that are overcome may prove to have surprisingly little staying power when it comes to cultural influence. I think there should be some equivalent to the reorganizations roman society went through with punic civilizations: concerted efforts to create a single unit of weights and measures, for instance. The kind of stuff that happened both in Rome and China and helped build the idea of a place that survived past the original inhabitants.

That is in general a pretty good thing for a culture of traders to do, since it makes the actual trading so much easier.

Rubix Squid
Apr 17, 2014
All hail lord RNG!

C, C, C

Rubix Squid
Apr 17, 2014
CBA sounds like funhavery to me.

Rubix Squid
Apr 17, 2014
As interesting as holy land thunderdome sounds...

I'll go CCC

Rubix Squid
Apr 17, 2014
C, B, Vasconia

Rubix Squid
Apr 17, 2014
I am 900% sure there's conlangs out there already that do that to German.

Rubix Squid
Apr 17, 2014
Go war sloths! You can take the elephants!

Rubix Squid
Apr 17, 2014
I count that as a victory for the war sloth.

Rubix Squid
Apr 17, 2014
Praise Ba'al RNG!

Rubix Squid
Apr 17, 2014
Take you're time. You're more than worth the wait.

Rubix Squid
Apr 17, 2014
A to resist the temptation of becoming France

Rubix Squid
Apr 17, 2014
Pretty sure being Rome is illegal there or something.

Rubix Squid
Apr 17, 2014
Europa

Rubix Squid
Apr 17, 2014

Raserys posted:

Since the Renaissance will be starting in the Crowns, might as well go all the way the analogy with A

I'll buy it. A

Rubix Squid
Apr 17, 2014
D

Rubix Squid
Apr 17, 2014
A.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rubix Squid
Apr 17, 2014
A