Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?
A

Show these upstart civilizations who's boss.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

Lateinshowing posted:

Unsure if it's mod related or if it's a game mechanic, but one of the things I've seen is the Romans just auto-annex territory they've occupied. Which isn't the case in any other country when they do warfare (unless it's a civil war).

If that's a normal thing, that could explain it. The Romans just taking everything all at once instead of bit by bit.

It's a game mechanic: the Imperial Challenge CB works like that. It's unlocked by a late game tech, but some countries get to use it early in specific circumstances (Rome during some early wars, for example, or the Diadochi against each other).

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

Yea. With any luck we can at least hold the seas and limit the damage in the event a war goes poorly, and if the war goes well we have a chance to wound the eagle.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

I really am torn; reviving the glories of lost Phoenicia is tempting, but on the other hand, going west gives us a chance to Hanno 2: Hanno Harder.

On balance, I've got to go with A. A Western Mediterranean united by an urban, mercantile republic with a very different colonial model to Rome is an interesting prospect, and there's an outside chance of establishing contact with non-Europeans much earlier than OTL.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

dervival posted:

'simulating the dark ages' is a good euphemism for running down time on these megacampaign games

The dark ages happened because the player got bored of governing the entire expanse of the Roman Empire and handed over control of the west to the AI

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

Luca_024 posted:

We thought the Dark Ages were caused by player boredom, but all this time it was actually a hardware issue

The hardware just couldn't handle all of those complex pop migration calculations. Alas, reality may be a simulation, but it runs on a potato.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

B
B
Hellenic League

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

hashashash posted:

yea I flip-flopped a bit between calling them Romans or having something new to represent their hybridisation with the Norse, still not set on which one though

also I do still need a name for their religion, Helleno-Norse sounds a bit grim. might just go with Neo Norse or something

I'd imagine there would be a lot of syncretism between their old gods and the new northern ones, with the Romans still thinking of their religious practices as a continuation of their old ones. We're a little hampered because the Romans didn't really treat their religion as a single codified thing and neither did the Norse. The closest thing for the Romans might have been "cultus deorum," the proper treatment or cultivation of the gods, and for the Norse it's "forn sið" or old custom (the definition in opposition to heiðinn sið, Christianity, indicating that the arrival of new religions leads to an understanding of the "old ways" as a distinct set of things rather than just part of life). That being the case, I'd argue that the Roman terms might have more sway in the syncretism, which might give us something calling itself "the Cult" of some kind. Or if the Norse influence is a bit stronger, maybe we get "Kjarr sið."

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

Xelkelvos posted:

There's likely some level of syncreticism, but also potentially, if the Norse at the leading culture, an addition to the groups of gods such that in addition to the Aesir and Vanir, there's a third group called the Rumir or something. Whereas if the Romans were more culturally dominant, elements maybe wholesale subsumed just as when the mythos of the Greeks were merged with the Roman myths

That's a good point. If the Norse have the cultural upper hand I'd absolutely expect to see some Rumir, particularly if we're willing to roll with the theory that the Aesir/Vanir split is a remnant of even older invasion syncretism. The Romans would be way more willing to sit down and draw up Pokemon type charts trying to figure out how to map the Norse deities onto their own.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

Buschmaki posted:

*boring OTL killjoy voice* I think African Bush Elephants are undomesticable

The point of divergence is that someone figured out how, of course! Probably because they crossbred with the surviving North African elephants :eng101: