Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker
it seems like a lot of sauce, but there's also a ton of stuff in there so I don't actually think it's overkill. You can see it's not gushing out or anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker
they're little cabbage fritter things. I'm sure they got other sauces and seasonings before being served.

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker

this is among the laziest theatrical street food preparations I've ever seen. There's no loving way he's famous for sloppily stabbing a watermelon.

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker

I don't know exactly where this is but could easily be near me in the Bay Area, CA, except this dude is trying a lot harder than most. It's pretty comical how in parts of San Jose a concert will end or the bars are closing and thousands of these little carts with bacon-wrapped, mayo-topped hot dogs magically appear. Probably my favorite drunk food because they're (a) tasty as hell and (b) consistent (minus the theatricality, it seems).

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker

EoinCannon posted:

I think the theatre is the point, not so much the final product

I'm reminded of the Mitch Hedberg (I think?) joke about getting Benihana take out. "Did he do all the poo poo?"

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker
I feel like raisins would have a much better reputation in the US if they were used in savory foods. That Uzbek food looks tasty as hell.

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker

That's just gonna be a solid wheel of brie under there. Maybe cut it half as thin, making sure the rice is super hot, and omit the burger it'll be melty and good. As it stands, there's a reason why there's no cross-section shot.

Also, I don't think this is street food at all.

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker
every camera lens

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker

I hate that my time on reddit has the rear end in a top hat opinion of "YEAH MAKING MEAT REALLY TENDER IS EASY THIS IS DUMB" in my head

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker

thank you for just embedding the video here so I don't have to give anyone a click for seeing that. That's some of the most stupid poo poo I've ever seen in food. It's like something on Epic Meal Time except they at least had a goofy comedy skit around it and never pretended it was supposed to be something functional.

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker

Crazy Achmed posted:

That's daoshihe, from Tibet. Mutton meat - probably organ as well as muscle - sealed inside the sheep's stomach with some herbs, spices and ultra-hot rocks to form a pressure cooker of sorts, which apparently helps if you are trying to cook at very high altitudes. 100% would try, but the guy moderating the steam venting in this video gives off some extremely demon core vibes in terms of getting third degree steam burns, or a catastrophic mutton explosion

that dude for sure has some chef hands, they've gotta be getting a lot of heat

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker

Hedenius posted:

Grilled grasshoppers I had the other day in China. Were quite good. Surprisingly my 8 year old son wanted to try them and he loved them so much he asked us to order more.

I used to get grossed out by the idea but then I realized I have no problem eating crustaceans, which are equally weird in the same way

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker

CuwiKhons posted:

I think my issue with it is that crabs and lobsters, even though they're basically just the spiders and cockroaches of the ocean, are big enough that you aren't expected to eat the exoskeleton. If grasshoppers grew big enough to cut open and carve out the meat, that would be a lot more palatable to me. I do not want to crunch down on wings and legs and all that poo poo. Even shrimp get peeled first.

I completely agree with your assertion that we need to breed giant grasshoppers for meat harvesting

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker
at least it features a person eating it. A lot of these stupid food videos end at "this is a thing I made!" that is completely inedible, as in, it's impossible to eat without unhinging your jaw

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker

pixaal posted:

should I stop breathing? How gross are my lungs?

Think of it this way - in your esophagus, you've got air moving pretty fast and blasting things around. That same speed is divided when your lungs split into smaller airways, and split again, and again. At the end, the air is only moving just little bit. Get some schmutz to the end? Probably not coming out. Plus, think about how often you take a truly deep breath.

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker

Soul Dentist posted:

Extreme :gbsmith: vibes from that one

For real. I like to think videos like this help, somehow.

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker
they're closer to thickish souffle batter

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker

Grand Fromage posted:

Takoyaki are mostly uncooked batter too, with a homeopathic amount of octopus. Never was a huge fan of them.

Good point. "Slimy" as a texture is far more acceptable in Japanese food, and maybe uncooked batter in these pancake things is a feature, not a flaw. Takoyaki are gooey as gently caress.

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker
that's just a dump

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker

VictualSquid posted:

Big batches is a great series. That one is an old one though, they got newer ones. Thanks for reminding me to check.

Some are even eaten on the street. The exavator is lubricated with butter to make it food save.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aF9ajckLr90

The woman narrating this (Claudia Romeo) has her own channel too which is great, but it's just awesome looking Italian not-street food so far so I won't post one here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker

This video is great. I can't tell what is serious.