Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

thank you for introducing us to pendirhan btw. been experiencing great joy following his childlike glee about cheese

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I will never be as self-actualized and enlightened as Pendirhan

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

AARD VARKMAN posted:

Tteokbokki represents a shameful hole in my culinary experience, I've had plenty of Korean food but just never had the opportunity. Going to have to rectify that soon somehow

It's dead simple:

Make dashi. Powdered Korean style is fine, you're not going to be tasting it directly. Add gochugaru and gochujang. Quantity depends on your taste. Add ingredients. Garaetteok is the only required one, you can go hog wild here if you want. I like some garlic, green onions, onions, cabbage, fish cake, hard boiled quail egg. Cook it until it gets to the sauce thickness you want. In Korea there will be a ton of syrup and sugar added, I don't like that but a tiny bit of sugar is a good flavor enhancer. Season with soy sauce.

You can get a full recipe on Korean Bapsang if you want but it's a dish that you really do not need a recipe for.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

I've never found it needed a thickener. It prob gets enough starch off the garaetteok plus reducing the liquid.

Also gochujang gets overwhelming if you use too much. If it tastes fine but isn't hot enough, add more gochugaru.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Hopefully they won't make it crazy sweet. I have never seen more sugar and syrup used in anything than when I watched tteokbokki being made at street stalls.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

A lot of countries really enjoy their food sopping wet.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

gimme the wettest food you got

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

But why

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Kenning posted:

Are they speaking Chinese?

The dude is so they must be. Can't understand them, but I am also pretty sure the dude isn't speaking Mandarin so who knows.

I want to eat those anyway.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

I've eaten a lot of delicious things that were Sopping Mush but man. Don't take pictures of it. You gotta be a fuckin ace food photographer to make it look appealing.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Samovar posted:

...why the three bell peppers, tho?

This guy doesn't know about the three bell peppers.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

ElectricWatermelon posted:

I appreciate the technique of taking a loving blowtorch to a slab of butter to quickly melt it, but I think it's a little... much.

Sometimes part of street food is the show.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Toxic Mental posted:

I don't know much but I do know that the peanut butter-colored jar might not be quite entirely up to food safety standards lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5z5pTBSGyOA&t=131s

Grand Fromage fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Feb 9, 2023

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Toxic Mental posted:

Yeah but do they just leave the pin bones in? wtf

It's Korea so yes.

Only place I've had sashimi with bones in it.

Pyrotoad posted:

Is that just straight glucose being poured over the rice cakes at one point?

It's Korea so yes.

(it's rice or corn syrup)

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Nice to see a hard would in here again

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Had ribs on a shovel at a Mao theme restaurant in China a few times.

Ribs were good. Shovel unnecessary.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Stinky tofu is vile. There was a lady who sold it outside my subway station and the whole area smelled like someone blew up a tank of week old rotting diarrhea. A friend insisted it was an open sewer but I knew better.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

what in the world

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

I don't know what's happening here but I'm pretty sure I want some.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Hedenius posted:

Grilled grasshoppers I had the other day in China. Were quite good. Surprisingly my 8 year old son wanted to try them and he loved them so much he asked us to order more.

Nice. If you see cicadas done the same way get those, they're excellent.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Glottis posted:

I used to get grossed out by the idea but then I realized I have no problem eating crustaceans, which are equally weird in the same way

Honestly every bug I've eaten has been very good. I'm sure there are gross ones out there but if you can get past that first bite you'll enjoy yourself. Cicadas, grasshoppers, and crickets are all good starting points.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Decrepus posted:

What is a stromboli

gently caress I love a stromboli. I haven't had a good one in so long.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

I don't know what many of these things are but I know I want them badly

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Foreign Street Food: Was that an ostrich?!

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

I try not to think about how much of my body has never been cleaned because it can't be.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Captain Hygiene posted:

I haven't even seen this in so long I forgot it existed, and I went into traumatic stress response at frame one :negative:

The cashier should be legally allowed to beat the poo poo out of you with a chair if you do that.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Takoyaki are mostly uncooked batter too, with a homeopathic amount of octopus. Never was a huge fan of them.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

386-SX 25Mhz VGA posted:

What’s the street food situation like in the more happening areas of Tokyo, Osaka, and Kyoto? I realize that I haven’t heard much about Japanese street food at all in my life.

I know this must have been explained before, and I appreciate any links to old answers.

It depends on your definition. If you're picturing street food as stalls out on the street like in Thailand, or that dude mashing pomegranates, that doesn't really exist in Japan. There are some yatai stalls in Fukuoka and very occasionally you'll spot one somewhere else, but mostly you will only see that at festivals. There are also a couple tourist trap areas like in front of Sensoji in Asakusa that have permanent setups. Those are notable because of their rarity though.

There are shops that sell ready to eat food and don't have seating, so you can stand out front and eat your fried chicken or whatever. I don't think it's what most people are talking about when they say street food but it's debatable.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Roundup Ready posted:

Granted, I haven't been since the early 00's, but I remember basically living off gyudon stands in nearly every city we visited for the ~two weeks I was there. Was like 3-4 bucks for a quick, filling meal of meat, onions, and rice. Add an egg for 50yen!

You mean like just a dude with a cart out on the street making gyudon? I've never seen such a thing but I wish I had.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

I only had dog once, it's not very good. Wouldn't recommend.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

You haven't really been to Asia until you've had someone shouting NO ENGLISH at you while you're speaking to them in the local language.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

AARD VARKMAN posted:

have you ever tried shouting back rude things at them in the local language out of curiosity because i think that is what i would end up doing

No I'm not that confrontational

I have had a couple times where someone else tells the no english!!! person "dude he's speaking Korean" though which is always funny. Respect for the bros out there.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Olewithmilk posted:

Did he just boil and serve his old leather jacket?

What, you're too good to eat an old leather jacket?

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

I will never get the Japanese absurdly thick toast thing. At least that one has enough toppings you could have flavor through the entire situation. Usually it's a paper thin spread of stuff on top of half a loaf of plain bread. Which would also be okay if the bread were a good sourdough or something but it is just a white sponge.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

I'll have the mackerel sandwich please

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Pookah posted:

Oh hell, it's fresh mackerel?
Absolutely would. The best fish I ever had was fried mackerel that I had caught myself about 30 minutes earlier.

Mackerel is one of the kings of fish. I love it so much.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

I need the wettest sandwich you got

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Used to get a much smaller version of basically the same thing in China, there was a mosque downtown and on Fridays the whole street was full of food vendors. poo poo owned.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

I'm sure there are differences but my experience of Central Asian food is it's pretty similar across borders. If you've had Uzbek food you're not going to be shocked at the menu in a Kazakh place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Yatais own. It's a shame there's only a couple places in Japan that allow them anymore.