Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..
The excitement for this tournament has been waning for a full decade but it's back and so here's the thread.

Official Site

Here are the groups. Sweden already destroyed Austria and Suisse beat Finland in OT. Latvia and the US are currently tied at 2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
Latvia has two goals on two shots this period. US looks kinda lovely tbh, not super impressed by what I'm seeing from their forwards.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Tragically, the US is now leading

The Dirty Burger
Aug 24, 2007

1st team all star
+
2nd degree manslaughter
=
3rd world clothing line
My favorite holiday tradition is Sweden absolutely steamrolling through the group stage before going home without a medal

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Wright and Bedard on the first line together. Time to find out which one has the stronger influence over the other, I guess.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
The US has looked kinda disjointed and not that creative this game, but they've got some D who can create chances and a few Brady T types who just go hard to the net and make you want to sock them in the face so that's nice

I've definitely seen Luke Hughes play better

The Dirty Burger
Aug 24, 2007

1st team all star
+
2nd degree manslaughter
=
3rd world clothing line
If you hit the goalie in the head with your stick trying to score a Michigan-style goal it should be a penalty :colbert:

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
Lol they have the reviews in world juniors too now?

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
obligatory lol Canada

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
Bedard already in superstar mode of getting out of the way of point shots

T-Bone fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Dec 27, 2022

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

It was going well until it wasn't

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Love the abject lack of advertisers

The Dirty Burger
Aug 24, 2007

1st team all star
+
2nd degree manslaughter
=
3rd world clothing line
Bedards wrister remains absolutely insane

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

he volleyed his own shot

Kale
May 14, 2010

Man what is Canada loving doing this game

The Dirty Burger
Aug 24, 2007

1st team all star
+
2nd degree manslaughter
=
3rd world clothing line
Man how fuckin often are the refs gonna be in the video booth this tournament

Arabian Jesus
Feb 15, 2008

We've got the American Jesus
Bolstering national faith

We've got the American Jesus
Overwhelming millions every day

Wow bullshit call there

Kale
May 14, 2010

Canada looks like complete loving sbit

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
very funny how all day we heard about how "this might be the best team Canada in years"

The Dirty Burger
Aug 24, 2007

1st team all star
+
2nd degree manslaughter
=
3rd world clothing line
The Canadian goaltending controversy started early this year

thehoodie
Feb 8, 2011

"Eat something made with love and joy - and be forgiven"
Holy poo poo the Canadian defence and goaltending is atrocious so far

Kale
May 14, 2010

Like complete absolute total poo poo. Let's see if this goalie can stop anything

Kale
May 14, 2010

Even if they get there poo poo togeher from here with the other goalie I'm not sure they can get back into this now

Kale
May 14, 2010

Nice dive

e: Czechs doing a really good job of collapsing and not giving Canada very many quality shooting lanes during this barrage

Kale fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Dec 27, 2022

sleep with the vicious
Apr 2, 2010

ThinkTank posted:

Love the abject lack of advertisers

It's hilarious. Instead of Telus and scotiabanks sappy garbage it's a garage door light that's super bright and available via mail order lol

The Dirty Burger
Aug 24, 2007

1st team all star
+
2nd degree manslaughter
=
3rd world clothing line
Czechs doing a good job getting in shooting lanes but holy hell, hit the net you teenage jabronis

Kale
May 14, 2010

Welp Canada reallt screwed up that game. Credit to Czechs for being way better on defense and not taking too many penalties.

thehoodie
Feb 8, 2011

The 5th goal was just utterly embarrassing. Took any life away from Canada. Hopefully we won't see that goalie ever again

Kale
May 14, 2010

Holy loving penalties man

thehoodie posted:

The 5th goal was just utterly embarrassing. Took any life away from Canada. Hopefully we won't see that goalie ever again

Yeah that goalie was brutal. No goals allowed after he was pulled but like offense didnt look particularly cohesive for Canada either. They were quick gaining the zone and getting close to the net but the shots were pretty much all bad quality. I don't know if they'd have got back into it even without all the penalties but I couldnhave foreseen something like a 2-1 game for Canada at least without the horrendous goaltending to start.

Kale fucked around with this message at 03:24 on Dec 27, 2022

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
This Czech age group seems pretty good, to be fair. They upset the US last tournament as well.

Kale
May 14, 2010

Apparently last night was the first time Canada ever lost to the Czechs in regulation in tournament history but at the same time thats also probably the worst 30 minute or so stretch of Goaltending a team Canada has ever gotten in tournament history. Like you can say the defense made some mistakes but that Gaudreau guy was beyond terrible. They'll probably give him at least one more game but a very short leash I imagine. Like one more bad goa against Germany or something and hes done for the tournament. The other guy was at least competent and didnt allow any goals so....

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
I know Junior goalie stats can be weird (especially when it comes to NHL projection) but starting a guy who has posted .890/.891/.868 (the .868 is this year!) in this three OHL seasons and a .787 in his U17 year with Canada seems optimistic.

But hey I guess one solid U18 and the draft pedigree outweighs all of that.

T-Bone fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Dec 27, 2022

Kale
May 14, 2010

T-Bone posted:

I know Junior goalie stats in can be weird (especially when it comes to NHL projection) but starting a guy who has posted .890/.891/.868 (the .868 is this year!) in this three OHL seasons and a .787 in his U17 year with Canada seems optimistic.

He has a record for the U20 now. 1 game which he did not finish. 10.42 GAA and .706 sv%

thehoodie
Feb 8, 2011

T-Bone posted:

I know Junior goalie stats in can be weird (especially when it comes to NHL projection) but starting a guy who has posted .890/.891/.868 (the .868 is this year!) in this three OHL seasons and a .787 in his U17 year with Canada seems optimistic.

According to some person on reddit, there are 17 U20 Canadian goalies in the OHL with a better SV% than Gaudreau

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
Canada imploding because some guys tried to do the Michigan is kinda funny

clean ayers act
Aug 13, 2007

How do I shot puck!?

Jamwad Hilder posted:

Canada imploding because some guys tried to do the Michigan is kinda funny

i saw this blow up on twitter and it was made to seem like they were cutesy plays with no chance of success.
when i actually watched both of them they seemed like really good scoring chances though

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

clean ayers act posted:

i saw this blow up on twitter and it was made to seem like they were cutesy plays with no chance of success.
when i actually watched both of them they seemed like really good scoring chances though

yea they looked like good opportunities to me, which is why I'm confused about them being called out. The only thing I can think of is that the other dumb teens on the team think they're showboating for the draft or whatever.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

The Dirty Burger posted:

If you hit the goalie in the head with your stick trying to score a Michigan-style goal it should be a penalty :colbert:

Follow through on a shot isn't a penalty, sucka

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Slovakia leading 3-2 over the US was enough to get me to tune in, and as soon as I do Slovakia scores again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kale
May 14, 2010

Slovakia giving it to Team USA 4-2 now though still only period 2 that's a pretty similar stat line to the Czechia/Canada game by that point too. Czechoslovakia>North America this tournament?

clean ayers act posted:

Good scoring chances for Canada, not particularly great shots. It never seemed like the Czech goalie had to make any particularly 5 alarm saves really. He just played a completely solid .940 sv% game and only let in a couple goals. He also followed it up with a shut out against Austria and the Czech's won that 9-0 and is now the tournament leading goaltender for important stats. So far it's the best Czech team I've ever seen at this tournament in terms of on ice play to be honest. Meanwhile Canada took a poo poo load of penalties including a major, got brutal goaltending from Gaudreau and never got any super great shots off in the 3rd period. Milic is starting against Germany which is probably a big step down from Czechia in terms of competition but we'll see how that goes. He was sure as poo poo better than Gaudreau by a long shot. Despite facing about 9-10 less shots he saved them all and looked competent at least so we'll see.

Kale fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Dec 28, 2022