Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
lmao the thread title

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
e: sorry i didn't post fast enough, didn't mean to dogpile

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Went to clean my garage and decided to watch the game and uh, jesus.

MatildaTheHun
Aug 31, 2011

here's the thing donovan, I'm always hungry
Big fan of ESPNs Ben Baby

LiquidFriend
Apr 5, 2005

That was incredibly hard to watch.

Snowmankilla
Dec 6, 2000

True, true

Redeye Flight posted:

What a bloody goddamn weekend, in general. There were at LEAST three horrific showstopper injuries I can think of, including this one, and I'm probably missing some.

What else happened? This was the first game I watched this week.

Pimpcasso
Mar 13, 2002

VOLS BITCH
Hope you pull through kid, what a lovely night

Gully Foyle
Feb 29, 2008

Tayter Swift posted:

And yet everyone in the thread thought it looked like a routine hit.

I mean you're not wrong but I don't know what measures would have prevented this.

I don't think there's a measure outside of 'don't play football' that would prevent this based on what it looked like.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Made a news thread for it, since this will get closed sooner or later for next week's

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4021083

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Tayter Swift posted:

I mean you're not wrong but I don't know what measures would have prevented this.
Nothing. Absolutely nothing could have prevented this. That's why it's so much worse.

A Buffer Gay Dude
Oct 25, 2020
Edit: moved to news thread

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

MatildaTheHun posted:

Big fan of ESPNs Ben Baby

It's a good name. I wonder what he thinks about Benjamin Button

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

Owner of the Thibbesdale Thibodeux???

:lmao: I missspelled Thibodeau's name.

Really embarrassing as my parents used to golf with his cousin up in Maine.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Credit to the coaches, announcers, and everyone putting pressure on the league to cancel it tonight.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Edit: There's a thread for this

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Anime Store Adventure posted:

Credit to the coaches, announcers, and everyone putting pressure on the league to cancel it tonight.

The question is will it stay canceled. I truly don't know what they'll do there.

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

God, I'm so tired. What the hell did I post last night?

Snowmankilla posted:

What else happened? This was the first game I watched this week.

Nick Foles took a horrific injury in the Colts-Giants game is the other one that's really big in my mind. There was a third but I'm kind of blanking on it right now.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Redeye Flight posted:

Nick Foles took a horrific injury in the Colts-Giants game is the other one that's really big in my mind. There was a third but I'm kind of blanking on it right now.
Tua?

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Silly Burrito posted:

The question is will it stay canceled. I truly don't know what they'll do there.

I agree, who knows what happens - but this sort of thing you can only really handle 'tonight' and then worry about that later.

Rogue0071
Dec 8, 2009

Grey Hunter's next target.

Redeye Flight posted:

Bridgewater broke a finger in the Pats-Dolphins game.

pasaluki
Feb 27, 2008

THIS WHAGON HAS NO BREAKS! I HAVE THE HEART OF THE BUUFALO the strength OF THE MOUNTAIN, THE FURY OF THE THUNDER AND MY WILL IS UNBREAKABLE! I will not surrender to KNOW ONE
It feels like it was a completely freak thing. I mean it reminded me of Kevin Everett when he got paralyzed on a basic kickoff coverage.

aarstar
Mar 7, 2004

Josh Sweat was carted off and transported to a hospital during the Eagles-Saints game.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
Week 18 News/Views thread is up. Included is a link to a thread for Hamlin's injury.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

I cover sports, almost exclusively high school stuff. This type of event is one of my nightmares.

In 2021, I saw a kid blindly run into a legal block on a punt return and get knocked into oblivion. You're standing there less than 100 feet away and hoping you're seeing something move. The medics - there's an ambulance crew at every game - took off his facemask before loading him up. Fortunately, the team updated the next morning he was released from the hospital.

The broken legs, the ACLs, they're one thing. You can't always tell what exactly it is, but you see them moving. This is so much worse. It's the uncertainty and, especially here, knowing that it could very well be fatal.

I'm gonna be thinking about Hamlin for a long time.